Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie Single Barrel

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Balvenie Single Barrel

Postby Crispy Critter » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:36 am

I picked up one earlier this month, and brought it up to the family Christmas gathering with my sister and brother-in-law, along with a bottle of Ardbeg 10 to give to Jeff as a present (it was very well-appreciated).

Well, Jeff and I shared some of the Balvenie as well, and it is quite a nice dram. I got a strong impression of champagne from the nose, and I'm suspecting this was a refill sherry cask - I get a mild sherry impression on the palate. Probably the closest things I've had to it have been Clynelish 14, Dalwhinnie 15, and Bruichladdich 15.
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:24 am

I can imagine the resemblance to Dalwhinnie, and perhaps even Bruichladdich, although I would have thought Clynelish would stand apart somewhat?

I had a Balvenie 15 Single Cask a year or two ago, and it was just okay, although the last bottle I had 4 months ago was much, much better. Like all such bottlings, it's a pity the great casks can't be replicated!

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:04 am

Sorry Crispy i just don't know where you're getting the sherry from. but it just is not there, well at least not for me. I get nothing but oak on my palate with a light touch of peat.
I really enjoy this whisky it's becoming on of my favorites.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:23 pm

I believe all the Balvenie 15's are bourbon casks (and I wonder a bit about the color, but never mind). I don't think it much resembles any of the mentioned whiskies. But of course, if you do, then you're not wrong.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:55 pm

I had this last night at a party, and could swear that I picked up some sherry notes as well, but I also picked up some oak...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:26 pm

The Balvenie 15yo is definitely "drawn from a single bourbon cask of a single distillation" - this is what their own site is telling us. No reason to doubt it. Interestingly enough, "sherry-notes" can appear during maturation without any interference of sherry-casks. Some people say something similar about Laphroaig BTW.
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:43 am

Sweet notes often get attributed to sherry. Of course, sherry itself can range from super-sweet to bone dry. I've had a fairly heavily sherried dram or two that was (were) very dry. A tutored tasting on sherry influence would very useful, I think.
Deactivated Member

Postby sasse » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:02 am

I have that one also and its a good one.

I like the taste and its a very good whisky.
The Double wood is also a great malt.

R/Sasse
sasse

Postby bjorn » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:38 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Sweet notes often get attributed to sherry. Of course, sherry itself can range from super-sweet to bone dry. I've had a fairly heavily sherried dram or two that was (were) very dry. A tutored tasting on sherry influence would very useful, I think.

Are these 'dry' bottles, drams, or bottlings? I don't have much experience with sherried whiskies and am interested in something a little dryer. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:36 am

Hi there,

there is a Glenmorangie finished in Fino Sherry Casks, that should be dryer than Oloroso or the like. "Dry" is, I haste to mention of course a subjective category. In the Distillers Edition of the Classic Malts of Scotland the Glenkinchie is finished in Amontilado casks and the Oban in Fino sherry casks, too.
If you look for a dry accent in a malt, especially in the finish try the Northern Highland malts like Royal Brackla, Teaninich or from closed distilleries a Glen Mhor or Glen Albyn, a Millburn. Tomatin, for me the most southerly of the Northern Highland stills can be pleasantly dry. Old Pulteney of course, Clynelish, Brora.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Hi there,

oh I forgot Balblair 16 years and the Glen Ord.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder