Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig CS - twice as much water?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Laphroaig CS - twice as much water?

Postby jeffk » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:44 pm

I was just reading the label on the Laphroaig 10 CS, and Laphroaig recommends twice as much water as whisky. I've never used more than just a splash of water, but I tried it with twice as much water. The result? Watered-down whisky - almost like a beer consistency, and I thought "yech!".

Does anyone really do 2x as much water as whisky?
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby voigtman » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:10 pm

I sure don't, and don't know of anyone who does, except for professionals who are nosing the whisky. Reducing to somewhere around 23% ABV may give the best strength for nosing purposes, but it waters down the whisky to the point, IMHO, that it becomes undrinkable. I never add water at all, but if I did, I would add very little to start, try it, add a little more, try again, and stop when it was to my taste. (If I went too far in adding water, I'd just back up by adding more whisky.) Under no circumstances, except nosing, would I add more than 1 part water to 2 parts whisky. And I could really care less about nosing, per se, because it is the taste that matters in the end, so I don't bother with the nosing bit: whatever I smell in the unreduced whisky is its intrinsic smell and I go with that. Slainte, Ed V.
voigtman

Postby Lawrence » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:15 pm

Yes, Mr. V is correct, adding that water for professional nosing purposes is one thing but it really ruins it for drinking. The good news is you can always add more water to the watered down whisky o even things up. At the end of the day water and how much to add is a very individual preference.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:20 pm

The blurb on a Rare Malts box also suggests the same proportion. The only people I've ever seen drink whisky that watered were older gents in Scottish pubs, who top up their dram of Grouse in a tall glass--probably more like 8:1!

Mr Picky sez that, unless you started with a whisky at 69%, Ed, your math is off--at 2:1 water to whisky, your dram will be one-third strength. That's, say, 18% for a 54% cask strength whisky. (And now Mr Picky second-guesses himself--you never actually made the 2:1--23% link.)
Deactivated Member

Postby voigtman » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:20 pm

Mr. T., good second guess! Yeah, I definitely know how to do dilutions, what with being a chemistry prof. :lol: The 23% (or so) is just the ballpark dilution strength I remember seeing in several books of reasonable credibility. As for the Laphroaig 10 CS info, the bottle I have open right now is 57.3%, so a 2 to 1 dilution would knock it down to an anemic 19.1%. I have no problem with anyone who might want to drink it that way ("malt tea"?), but there is no way I would do so. After all, Sam Adams' Utopias is around 25% ABV (and $125 per bottle). IMO, it is better to just drink good beer or good wine than to drink watered whisky. Also, a mea culpa. After my post, I remembered that I had added a splash of water to a Cadenhead's Clynelish that was simply too hot at 64.4%. Opened it up nicely. But I have had higher proof bourbon (George T. Stagg 2003, 71.35% ABV) without added water and no hotness problem. Happy New Years all! Slainte, Ed V.
voigtman

Postby Scotty Mc » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:06 pm

I've found with Laphroaig CS is that water just kills it. I just love the full power of this stuff!
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:48 pm

I also prefer my whiskies unwatered.

As has been said, with lots of water seems to be for many gentleman who have drank it that way for 40+ years. They get a tumbler, add an ounce or two of 40% whisky, optionally some ice cubes, and fill it to the top with water. It is the same dilution you'd get if you did the same with ginger ale or cola and is probably about as strong as dry white wine or strong beer which is the maximum ABV most drinkers imbibe. Can they actually taste the whisky? I don't know...

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby sunsolid » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:52 am

This issue has been vexing me for a while now. I know that it's quite common in Scotland to hear a half whisky and half water ordered, but this seems like such a waste to me. I know the arguments about water opening up the whisky, and I can see the point, especially with cask strength, but only to a certain degree. Those recommendations seem like overkill to me. The Laphroaig 10 CS is on my list to next be purchased, but I guarantee I wont be watering it down that much, actually I probably wont water it at all.
sunsolid

Postby hpulley » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:12 pm

Half water reduces the whisky to 20% which is apparently what is used by many professional tasters. It is too weak for me but I really shouldn't pooh-pooh the way someone else likes their drink. I do, but I shouldn't...

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby andrewfenton » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:18 pm

Half water is just a pub thing here, so people can drink whisky over several hours without getting seriously sozzled.
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby Whisky » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:33 pm

There's nothing wrong with adding a generous spash of water, IMO. The principal reason I do add water is to take away the alcohol burn.

I'll even add tap water, if there's no mineral water to hand, provided it's neutral tasting; unsure whether and to what extent chemicals in tap water, even if you can't taste them, interact with the whisky.
Whisky

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:29 pm

If you can't taste them, then it doesn't matter (unless, of course, they are poisoning you, but that's another issue). I don't see any reason for anyone to get in tizzy over this, one way or the other. If it works for you, then it's okay with me.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder