Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Dalwhinnie 15yo - Not what I was expecting!

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Dalwhinnie 15 Years Old

Dalwhinnie 15yo - Not what I was expecting!

Postby Scotty Mc » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:11 pm

I received this particular whisky for Christmas from my mother-in-law. I am a fan of this whisky although I was taken by suprise a bit.

I have only ever tasted Dalwhinnie in bars/pubs and generally when the bottle is less than half full, and I like it a lot. I opened my bottle the other day and it was horrible. It tasted like raw spirit and burnt from taking my first sip and was burning all the way down. Anyone else had a bad experience with this malt? I am hoping that oxidisation takes a grip and mellows "the gentle spirit"!
Last edited by Scotty Mc on Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:20 pm

I've been disappointed with the first dram out of a new bottle quite a few times but when I go back it is good.
Leave it for a week or so and go back to it.
Other thought is to pour a dram and leave it for an hour or so (test of will power!)
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:21 pm

Thats what I was thinking, hopefully it will mellow!
I'll pour some now, dinnertime soon so I won't be tempted, also I'm finishing off the Christmas beer first! :wink:
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby bamber » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:52 pm

I heard a similar thing from a friend very recently - I wonder if recent bottlings are changing.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:20 pm

I hope not, as it's a nice dram. First taste from the new bottle tasted like a mild Glenfiddich 12 then just got worse. Yesterday however, I left a glass of it for about 2 hours and it seemed to mellow :?
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Related whiskies : Dalwhinnie 15 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder