Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balblair 38 a CS?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Balblair 38 Years Old

Balblair 38 a CS?

Postby Macallovich » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:31 am

Is Balblair 38 a Cask Strenght whisky? or is diluted but non chillfiltered?

Thanks

Opinions about that expresion?
Macallovich

Postby WestVanDave » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:31 am

We have just seen the Balblair 38 year old Limited Edition released into the British Columbia Liquor stores... at 44% (which I would presume is not a Cask Strength)... and although the write-ups I have seen are silent on the subject of chill-filtering - I'm going to guess that it is NCF. Jim Murray rates it a 93 in his 2006 Whisky Bible - with some very favourable comments. It's priced here at $425 Cdn. per bottle.

I recently picked up a bottle of the Balblair 26 year old (bottled Aug. 2005) for a more reasonable $145 Cdn. - and this limited edition specifically states that it is NCF.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby karlejnar » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:00 pm

At the age of 38y 44% could very well be cask strength. Depending on the cask and conditions of maturing, some cask strength whiskies are high in abv and some are quite low. Some has even dropped under 40% and so has to be mixed with younger malts to be legally sold as scotch whisky.

I don't now the Balblair in question but if it is undiluted there's a good oportunity to have a rich and full experience without the alcohol overpowering the nose. And without the "thinning" done by reduction with water.

Just my 2 cents :wink:
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:24 pm

Yup - it's bottled at natural strength.
It's a fabulous whisky IMHO.
The nose is rich and thick, full and warming and reminds me of baking cakes.
The mouthfeel confirms the nose and the taste is initially spicy and sweet with a nice underlying honeyed note holding just a touch of liquorice. The sherry comes through in the middle and remains fairly constant thereafter.
The finish is long and warm on the edge of being hot - ginger and cinnamon I thought.
I tasted this at whisky live and it blew away everything else I'd tasted incl. HP30 and a 23yo one-off Balvenie.
It was my must have bottle for 2005 and for as long as I can get it, it will remain a standard in my collection.
For its age and quality I think it is pretty good value.
As someone said - "Buy one to drink and one to keep" :D
Deactivated Member

Postby bernstein » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:42 pm

WestVanDave wrote:and although the write-ups I have seen are silent on the subject of chill-filtering - I'm going to guess that it is NCF.

Yes it is NCF - but at 259,- € in my neck of the woods way out of my reach :cry: .
bernstein
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Balblair 38 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder