Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Buying a cask

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Buying a cask

Postby JimHall » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:56 pm

I have a syndicate of friends/whisky lovers and we are looking to buy a cask later this year.

I know that only some distilleries will sell a cask.
ie tullibardine, Glengoyne, Bruichladdich.

Does anyone know of any other distilleries which are selling casks (Scotland only)?
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:33 pm

Arran, I think.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:20 pm

... and Kilchoman Distillery offers casks.
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:30 pm

Just like Bladnoch.
Last edited by bernstein on Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:30 pm

Jim -
It sounds like a great idea and I've thought about it myself - particularly staying so close to Tullibardine :D .
However, Like all things it carries a risk. I found the link below useful as it raises a couple of points to take into consideration.

http://www.thewhiskystore.de/industry/calc.htm
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:49 am

Hi Jim:

FWIW - we have assembled a group of 7 Whisky-obsessed Canadians and have just purchased two casks from Bruichladdich. Two different barrel types and two different peating levels... and a great deal of patience as we wait for (at least) 10 years... 8) 8)

Here are a couple of options involving existing casks - for the impatient with deep(er) pockets:

Morrison Bowmore had offered what they called "The Individual Cask Bottling Opportunity" where they have made available a small number of specially selected Auchentoshan and Glen Garioch Casks. My information on this is from just over a year ago - so forgive me if I'm teasing you with something that is not longer available.

The promo piece I have goes on to say:

Entire Single Cask will be bottled and made exclusive to Trade Customer.

Any spirit released Aged 16 to 20 Years Old will be bottled at cask strength and presented in tube reflecting current brand identity and values.

Any spirit released Aged 21 Years and over wil be bottled at cask strength in an attractive antiqued dark brown leatherette box.

Terms of Trade:

Standardised packaging
    One delivery to a single address
    Lead time from receipt to actual order: approx. 8 weeks
    Opportunity for small qunatity of tasting stock free of charge from final case if incomplete.

Glenfiddich will also sell mature casks; their Glenfiddich Private Vintage Program. The decision-making process involves having you select a particular vintage year from which they will provide you with samples (typically up to 10 casks to choose from). I know the owner of Willow Park in Calgary, Alberta (Wayne Henuset) went this route just this last summer and his Whisky Buyer (Dave Michiels) had the thankless job of having to fly to Scotland to laboriously and tediously wrestle with the tough tasting decision of cask selection...

We sampled the result at the November Whisky in the Warehouse event and it was very impressive. 8)
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:33 pm

WestVanDave wrote:

Morrison Bowmore had offered what they called "The Individual Cask Bottling Opportunity" where they have made available a small number of specially selected Auchentoshan and Glen Garioch Casks. My information on this is from just over a year ago - so forgive me if I'm teasing you with something that is not longer available.

Glenfiddich will also sell mature casks; their Glenfiddich Private Vintage Program. The decision-making process involves having you select a particular vintage year from which they will provide you with samples (typically up to 10 casks to choose from).

I would say that these are not really suited to us whisky drinkers more as stated for trade , notice they don't offer Bowmore casks....

I'm assuming your after new Make and not maturing stock ? The Kilchoman offer is now closed and i believe now Bruichladdich don't offer the Port Charlotte for sale .
Buying the cask is the easy part , make sure you draw up an agreement between yourselves covering all eventualities , also point out to your group the costs at the end ( Possible extra maturation costs , Admin , bottling costs , Labels if you do your own , shipping , and of course the biggie Duty and VAT ) . The last two that can cost about £10 a bottle at 60% ABV (i assume your in the UK) .

Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby ikendal » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:04 pm

we (the family) have purchased a cask form the Isle of Arran and intend to bottle shortly (1or 2 years april 07 it will be 10 years old). We have also purchased a cask of 'laddie. to be bottled in 10years time, I would be happy to share any experience we have. also ... if your interested in aquiring some bottles the please see the following forum link
http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2426

Just very tired at the moment so not able to write more
ikendal
Bronze Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:33 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:I would say that these are not really suited to us whisky drinkers more as stated for trade , notice they don't offer Bowmore casks....
Slainté
Gordon

I don't know if I'd agree with you Gordon - as Jim started off saying: "I have a syndicate of friends/whisky lovers and we are looking to buy a cask later this year."

Our Whisky Club and sub-syndicates have had many a discussion with suppliers and these types of mature cask offers are available and well suited for us... as long as we're prepared for all of the other costs you mentioned...

The Bowmore casks may not be available for various reasons, but that's something else to speculate over.

I also heard that Willow Park is in the process of purchasing (now here's a first) a mature Balvenie Cask... 8)
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:24 am

Hi Dave ,
point taken but i still say most of these offers are aimed at trade . Regarding your purchase your club might have a good standing within the industry so it might be easier for you to purchase a cask where as an individual like Jim might find it hard to start buying a mature cask especially in this country unless he goes to a broker or happens to have good contacts in the industry . I know in the past i've tried other distilleries apart from the usual suspects to purchase a cask of new make and frankly unless your some famous celebrity you've no chance ! :wink:
I'm very surprised at the Balvenie given Grants reputation for closely guarding their product .

Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby JimHall » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:38 pm

Thanks very much for all your replies.
I personally would like to buy a cask of Tullibardine ... I just need to convince my syndicate.
I don't really see this as a profit making venture .... it is more of a treat to myself and a nice thing to be able to say " i've got my own maturing cask" (brag if you really want to call it that).

thanks again.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder