Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Black Maple Hill

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Black Maple Hill

Postby Badmonkey » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:09 am

Has anyone on the forum tried any of the Black Maple Hill line-up? I see reviews of bourbons and rye on-line, but after scouring the Whisky Bible 2006 I have not come across a review, which strikes me as odd. Perhaps the Booker Noe is playing games with my eyesight.

Anyway, if any of you have tasting notes or thoughts on this brands, I would be grateful to hear about them.

Cheers

Badmonkey
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:22 pm

Check this link:

http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/ ... aybottling

There are 5 different reviews here, a good source. Just go back to the search box and look up there.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby jeffk » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:09 pm

I had some BMH 21 last weekend.

It was ok. I'm not a big bourbon fan, but the folks I shared it with liked it. I still like a good islay :)
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:36 am

I'm of two minds about the BMH lines, of which I've had the 11-, 16-, and 21yo bourbons and the 18yo rye. They are all fine whiskies -- and maybe to those of you here used to premium Scotch prices, their prices are un-blanch-worthy. But, as American whiskies go, they are very price-y.
Keep in mind that Kentucky Bourbon Distillers (which issues them), despite the name, has not distilled for over 20 years. These are purchased whiskey, which means the Kulsveens' upfront costs are higher. Hence, higher retail, too. But, then again, I can't think of any other bourbons of the same ages (not an accident, I think) on the market. So, you can't try the same whiskey -- even if you could get them to tell you where they source it (much from Heaven Hill, presumably) -- under any other labels for less money. I try real hard to drink other's peoples' BMH :) -- I've only purchased a couple myself. If they could lower the price by a third, I'd heartily recommend them.

All of which leads to pondering a potential future squeeze on non-distilling bottlers -- KBD, David Sherman Corp., McLain & Kyne, Julian Van Winkle (although he has a working agreement with Buffalo Trace), Henry Preiss, et al. With the major bourbon distilleries currently selling virtually anything and everything they can put in a bottle, why and how can they continue selling bulk bourbon to fill these other brands (Black Maple Hill, Michter's, Ezra Brooks, Jefferson's Reserve, Sam Houston, etc.)? Will they continue to age whiskies for even their own premium brands -- e.g., Eagle Rare 17, George T. Stagg -- when it means filling warehouse space with barrels they could easily sell today (or tomorrow) at a younger age?
It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:45 pm

Many thanks for that, Tim. It was very informative and helpful.

Cheers,

Craig
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder