Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

refrigeration storage

All your whisky related questions answered here.

refrigeration storage

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:42 am

Does it help to store Whisky in a refrigerator, or can this hinder longevity somehow? Thanks for your thoughts.
mikey

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:18 am

I can't think it would hurt, and I suppose it would slow any potential evaporation through the cork. But we're talking years here--many years. It seems pointless to me. And, come to think of it, if whisky can evaporate out, food odors can worm their way in.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ize » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:54 pm

I wouldn't put whisky in the refrigerator because of the same reason I wouldn't put wines in it. Normal fridge tends to shudder and it might break/split long essential oil chains into smaller ones. Same thing happens when open the bottle and pour the whisky in the glass when air/oxygen is in contact to whisky. But if this happens too long time, like months or even years, whisky goes bad like it does in the glass within few hours. I believe this is because long already splitted chains are splitted into even smaller chains which are not that attractive.

Wine refrigerators are then totally different. Shuddering is eliminated either with good absorbers or cooling is done totally without compressor. Negative point of the wine refrigerators is that bottle holders are in horizontal position. I do not know if those holders can be removed.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby corbuso » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:24 pm

Some whiskies can be excellent served chilled.
But keeping a whisky in a refrigerator can harm the quality of your whisky if it is non-chill filtrated (e.g., cask strength). Some congeners (esters and fatty acids) can precipate and you can sometimes see a fluffy-milky cloud or disk on the bottom of your bottle.
Warm it up and mix up before serving and everything should then be fine.

Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Chilled vs warm

Postby Bob & Jill » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:18 am

I noticed that Corbuso said: “Some whiskies can be excellent served chilled.”

Boy, I don’t want any of my whiskies cold. I get a lot more out of the whisky if it is warm ---e.g. about room temperature in summer. Since most of our house is 54 degrees F in the winter unless we build a fire (we’re mountain folk that heat with wood stoves), I pop my glass in the microwave for 6 seconds to bring the dram to what I consider the proper temperature. I think you get a lot more nose and flavor from the whisky when it is warm.
Does any body else out there heat their whisky?
Jill
Bob & Jill, Colorado
Bob & Jill

Postby jimidrammer » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:35 am

Curiosity got me so I tried the 6 second microwave on my HP25 and wow what a difference on the nose. It may have been a bit much for no more than I had in the glass at the time, but I see an advantage for the nose alone. It was a little too warm to drink, but the flavors were slightly enhanced also. Thanks for the tip, maybe 4 seconds next time. :)
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:59 am

Well, remember, jd, they're starting at 54°F.

I usually rinse my glass with hot tap water, so I get a little boost from that.
Deactivated Member

Re: Chilled vs warm

Postby Frodo » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:20 am

Bob & Jill wrote: I pop my glass in the microwave for 6 seconds to bring the dram to what I consider the proper temperature. I think you get a lot more nose and flavor from the whisky when it is warm.
Jill
Bob & Jill, Colorado

Can't bring myself to do this. Seems...disrespectful (?) somehow that a dram slept for years in an oak cask is warmed ZAP! I hand-warm mine in a snifter but that's me, and I have the time.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Re: Chilled vs warm

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:50 am

Bob & Jill wrote:I pop my glass in the microwave for 6 seconds to bring the dram to what I consider the proper temperature. I think you get a lot more nose and flavor from the whisky when it is warm.
Jill
Bob & Jill, Colorado

I too couldn't imagine nuking my Whisky... preferring to hold it close to my body with all the love I can muster in a gentle caress to bring it to room (or body) temperature...

... and if that takes time, well, to paraphrase Jim Murray - given that this whisky has given it's life and spent many years in the barrel - the least one can do is give it the love & respect it deserves by loving it back!!!

I also believe in the "let it breath" concept - about a minute per year - so a 15 year old whisky will get a 15 minute cuddle from me... warming along the way - until we're ready to consumate our union with wanton abandon... (cue Meg Ryan soundtrack)... :wink:

Call it Tantric Whisky Drinking if you like - but I'll take it over a microwave assisted quickie anyday!!!
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:01 am

Don't listen to them, B&J. They're not dealing with 54°F (12°C!) whisky. If it works for you, it's your business. I just hope you don't pour it over ice after nuking!
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:09 am

No - it's not 54°F (12°C!) here... we're hovering around 6°C outside (and a comfy 18~20°C inside) but we have had 23 days of consecutive rain...with no break in sight (until the Victoria Whisky Festival)... soon to break the old record from 1953... so I'm focussing on keeping the water (from the leaky roof) out of my whisky...

By all means B&J - nuke away... my guess is that at your altitude 6 seconds might fit the bill, but would translate to something different for those of us at sea level...

Warmer is better...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby mikey » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:19 am

Based on the replies that are going off on an unintended tangent, I need to clarify that I have no desire to actually drink the whisky in its cooled state, but merely to STORE it there. My whisky is taking over too much space in my photography cabinet, and since I'm buying a new refrigerator, the old one could be used to store my whiskies. I just want to make sure there is no harm in doing that. Furthermore, if cool storage is actually beneficial to the longevity of the whisky, then that's a wonderful bonus.

Incidentally, whisky ALWAYS ought to be sipped in a snifter that is warmed by your hand, much like brandies and cognacs. There is no debate about that one for me. Of course, the assumption I am making with that statement is that the whisky is premium quality, and not some whisky that requires cooling to thwart some of its undesireable tastes. Maybe I should just substitute "premium whisky" with "expensive Scotch"?
mikey

Postby Bob & Jill » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:39 am

Ok, I will admit that micro-ing does seem a bit uncouth (BTW, I have a small 500w micro). But I am starting at a cool 54 degrees F. Which would be just slightly warmer than refrig temp.

Mikey says, “Incidentally, whisky ALWAYS ought to be sipped in a snifter that is warmed by your hand, much like brandies and cognacs. There is no debate about that one for me.”

For me, I too like to caress my Riedel glass and keep the whisky warm but I have to get it up to lukewarm temperature first. I might try Mr. T’s recommendation: “I usually rinse my glass with hot tap water, so I get a little boost from that.”
And my cold hands could use the boost too.

If Mikey’s comment is correct (“Furthermore, if cool storage is actually beneficial to the longevity of the whisky, then that's a wonderful bonus”), then I guess our whisky is also stored in a good place. Isn’t 50 degrees F the ideal storage for wine?

Jill
Bob & Jill, Colorado
[/i]
Bob & Jill

Postby bamber » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:50 am

I've done a bit of whisky microwaving and it does not seem the same as hand warming to me.

Maybe it is the lack of oxidizing - as WVD hinted at.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:37 pm

bamber wrote:Maybe it is the lack of oxidizing - as WVD hinted at.

What me: "hint"... rarely :oops: :wink:

Thanks Bernie for implying subtlety on my part... can I quote you to my wife!!!???
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:36 pm

Never thought of nuking a dram...it just doesn't seem natural, but as we often say around here...if it works for you, go for it!

I also suspect Glencairn and Riedel glasses probably aren't microwave-friendly...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:48 pm

Yikes! What a thought :shock:
Warming a snifter by the fire will do me, thank you 8)
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder