Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Serendipity

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Serendipity

Postby Scotchio » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:07 pm

Having picked up Murrays bible this appears to be an excellent dram yet I have seen it regarded as pants elsewhere. Vatted Ardbeg does seem a bit iffy. I'm tempted to try it and was surprised by a lack of references on the forum. Is it worth a crack?
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:18 pm

I love my bottle. For me. the "Glen Moray 12yo" seems to have taken the rough edges off the "Ardbeg" (Lord of the Isles destined?). A lovely dram, at a sensible price.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:09 am

I really like it :oops: - but I think I'm almost alone in liking it. I think maybe if you try to forget it's an Ardbeg, it will be more acceptable.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:48 am

I like it too. But I would not rate it as highly as JM. Personally I think it is worth a go at £30 a bottle.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:05 am

I am not fond of the serendipity. When I tried it, I almost had the impression of drinking a fizzy Ardbeg. This is a special whisky and It is not my style. I prefer to drink either an Ardbeg or a Glen Moray, but not this vatting.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby toshie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:05 pm

I love it. Got a bottle for Christmas and family who tried it came back for more. Second bottle being purchased this weekend. I like its smoothness; the unmistakeable Ardbeg peat and smoke and the Glen Moray's sweetness make it a lovely drink.
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:09 am

Could anyone offer an opinion about Glen Moray? According to the tasting notes under "whiskies of the world" it sounds like a milder version of Auchantoshan.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:27 am

Hi there,

it has been a while but I would say, it is a still milder version of Glenfiddich. The Glen Morrays I tasted were all very soft spoken, there was nothing in them that could be in the least considered as hard or even harsh. Mild, floral, rather near to a Lowland malt, but with a heathery sweetness of a Speysider.
Seems I should revisit there again.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Jan » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:24 pm

I found Serendipity initially disappointing, but is has grown on me a lot lately and I now find it very good. I think this is one of those whiskies that benefit from a few weeks breathing time...

While it is a good whisky, I do not agree with the quite high score JM gives it. If I should rate it, my score would be somewhere in the high eighties, I think.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:11 am

I thought it was bloody awful!

Salt, salt, salt, and salt; spritzy, dry, harsh, and eeuuccchhh.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby lucabeer » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:06 pm

Bad stuff, this Serendipity. I actually prefer the Glen Moray 12 to it... And of course it's not even comparable to pure Ardbeg!
lucabeer

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder