Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

BOWMORE 16YO (1989) - ANY GOOD ?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

BOWMORE 16YO (1989) - ANY GOOD ?

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:03 pm

Oddbins is selling a Bowmore (official bottling). It's a semi-limited edition (36,000 bottles) of 16 year old cask strength from 1989.

There's a bottle 'under the counter' awaiting my collection.

But is it worth £45 ?

Anyone tried it please ?
Deactivated Member

Bowmore 16 Yo Cask

Postby Jonathan Osbaldiston » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:40 pm

Hi.

I have tried it and it is really good, and to be honest I am not really a Islay fan.

It is not quite as smokey or peaty as some of the Bowmore's I have tried, and it does have a certain sweetness to it.

It is also more mellow and rounded than many Bowmore's, but that's probably due to it's age.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy it.

P.S. Often Oddbins branches have sample bottles available to try if you ask. :)
Jonathan Osbaldiston

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:59 pm

Jonathon

Many thanks. My local Oddbins does have a 'tasting budget', but gets so few bottles of the rarer malts that it keeps them unopened for retail.

But, luckily, my local manager always gives me first refusal of anything good.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:41 am

I have tried it and think it's great. Intresting thing about it is that it tastes very different to the 17, even though it's gone through a very similar maturation process.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:25 am

Hi there,

but it is non chill-filtered and there is very little sherried whisky in it, if any.

"1989 Bowmore 16 year old, Cask Strength, Islay Single Malt Whisky Distillery Bottling 750ml Item: $94.99 Add to Basket
Available in our Redwood City store Available in our San Francisco store
Finally, a new release from Bowmore! Only 134 carefully selected, predominantly bourbon casks were brought together to make this limited edition. It is non chill filtered at natural cask strength. Beautiful rich golden color. The nose is filled with dried fruits, toasted almonds, caramel with all come together with that Bowmore campfire smokiness. Lovely elegance on the palate with a good balance of fruitiness and peat. The finish is smooth like a soft breeze blowing over the waters of Loch Indaal. A stunning malt! 51.8% ABV (Susan Purnell, K & L Spirit Buyer) 4 Stars - Paul Pacault--Spirit Journal

Greetings
kallaskander

PS Oh, the price was the original question. I said about it that it was priced a bit too high IMO in an other thread here in the forum. On the other hand it is cask strength so the amount for alkohol tax is higher than for a standard bottling at 40 or 43% abv. Considering the quality and the strength I revise my opinion of earlier postings and say yes, it is worth 45 £.
Last edited by kallaskander on Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:47 pm

Many thanks for the comments. Seems like one to get!
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder