Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan 12 or Aberlour 15

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Macallan 12 or Aberlour 15

Postby clicker7 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:06 pm

Hi All:

Just started tasting Single Malts.

I started with the help of forum members with Balvenie 12 Double Wood, and Glenmorangie Port Wood finish.

I really love the Balvenie DW, I find it more complex, mellow, and longer fininish. I love the nose ( to me Orange, Vanilla, nutty); and it also seems smoother than the Glenmorangie P.F..

I need some help with my next choice:
Macallan 12 vs. Aberlour 15?

I know these 2 are completely different. I would enjoy the smoothest, slighty sweeter, and longer finish.

I don't like Harsh, and I don't like Minty flavors ( read Aberlour has a little minty taste?)

My local state shop does not have Highland Park 12 (which many love), so I have to eventually special order.

Any Suggestions?

Thank you,
Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:34 pm

I would select the Aberlour 15. If you can find the Macallan Fine Wood 15 you might like that even better.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Re: Macallan 12 or Aberlour 15

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:09 pm

clicker7 wrote:I need some help with my next choice:

I know these 2 are completely different. I would enjoy the smoothest, slighty sweeter, and longer finish.

Thank you,
Joseph

If it were me, I would get both. 8)

Macallan 12 is not available where I am so I envy you, in that respect.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby clicker7 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:17 pm

Thanks guys:

I just located a bottle of Highland Park 12, about a two hour drive from my home. I heard it was a great dram, so I am going to drive over and buy that.

What do you folks think of that?

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:25 pm

I would go for Aberlour 15. In my opinion (Now, I know I will get a great number of people against me for saying this), The Macallan is one of the most hyped and overrated whiskies ever produced. Aaah, how good it felt to spit out that one. :twisted:

Regards

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:34 pm

clicker7 wrote:Thanks guys:

I just located a bottle of Highland Park 12, about a two hour drive from my home. I heard it was a great dram, so I am going to drive over and buy that.

What do you folks think of that?

Joseph

Joseph,

I would drive that far for Highland Park. It is one of my favorites. I have driven to other States to find whiskies.

Scott
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Phlosopher » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:56 pm

Highland Park is just a great whisky in terms of balance...lots of layers of flavors, and just very smooth. I just finished a dram of the 18:)

Not to take this thread in a different direction, but Aberlour 10 is really cheap...Is it worth the price? Is the 15 better?

And, I don't think Macallan is overrated at all. It's great. I always think of (slightly) burnt toast when I have it, for some reason. Reminds me of being a little kid, I guess.
Phlosopher

Postby misa » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:17 pm

I don´t think Maccallan is hyped perse, it´s just that it was one of a kind at the perfect time. What other whiskies are there, that where matured exclusively in sherry casks over, let´s say 40 years time. [/quote]
misa

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:20 pm

Phlosopher wrote:
Not to take this thread in a different direction, but Aberlour 10 is really cheap...Is it worth the price? Is the 15 better?

The 10 year old is a very good, bargain buy, dram. The 15 year old is better and worth extra cash but the 10 will not let you down.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:05 am

Joseph, it might help to know where you are located so we can point you in the right direction.

The Aberlour 15 100% Sherry bottle I had was smoother than the Aberlour 10, but didn't hold a candle to the Aberlour A'bunadh and that is the only Aberlour I keep around But you said you don't like minty and that one might come off as such.

The Macallan 12 is of good quality, but I don't care for the spicy finish. I just ordered the Fine Oak 15, but haven't gone to pick it up yet.

I could make lots of suggestions , but not sure what all is available to you. That Highland Park 12 is a worthy try as well as any other Balvenie bottles, the 15, 21, even the 10. I have personal tasting notes on all I've tried if you are interested in anything in particular.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:59 am

Phlosopher wrote:Not to take this thread in a different direction, but Aberlour 10 is really cheap...Is it worth the price? Is the 15 better?

Well, I haven't tried the 15, but the 10 is well worth buying - and it's one of the best buys I can find right now (except for an out-of-the-way liquor store that has Ardbeg 10 at the 2004 price - I'm pillaging it bottle by bottle). A'Bunadh is also a great value, albeit at a higher price point.

I had a dram of Aberlour 10 earlier tonight, and it is a nice, solid performer. It's what got me to start appreciating Scotch, as well.
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Just opened my first Highland Park 12

Postby clicker7 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:20 am

Hi All:

Thanks for your responses.

I just took a 3 hour drive to another town for 2 bottles of Highland Park 12 (can you believe the local shop discontinued it because of low sales). Poured myself a dram-- I've just this week only tasted Balvenie 12 DW, and Glenmorangie P.F.

Oh this is nice stuff (big too). It's a little more difficult to make out the nose on it. A bit smoky, malty, sweetish, a little flowery (not like the Balvenie though).

Palate is very smooth, honey, sweet, malty, warm, and again sweet, sourish, smoky. Even gets dry at sometimes!? Lots going on there that is hard for me to define.

Finish seems to be medium long, toffeeish, sweetish, a little earthy.
It's a very nice drink. I like it very much. Satisfying, and big. I feel like I'm tasting a Scotch Malt Whisky.

The HP 12 is certainly very different than the Balvenie DW. The Balvenie had a pretty nose, orangey, flowery, sweet, and a much lighter sweet nutty palate. I like that very much also. The two are very different. I do love the Balvenie it was delicate and complex and seems to have the longest, warmest and sweetest finish so far.

I am not sure about the Glenmoragie PW yet (a little too much like sherry perhaps).

Please forgive me I'm new to this, so I hope I'm not oversimplifying.

What should I try next Macallan Fine Oak 15yr, or anything else you guys recomend.

I do like the Malty sweetness of the HP 12, as I sit here tasting it. It seems to get sweeter as I drink it. Very complex dram.

What's another great bottle for a beginner (I'm up in the Seattle area).

Thanks everyone!!

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby thehighking » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:46 am

I don't think Macallan is overhyped at all.

It's a fantastic whisky.

With that said, I would say your next purchase should be one of the Islay whiskies.

Everyone here will suggest Ardbeg, but just to be different, I suggest Lagavulin 16.

You can't go wrong with Ardbeg, Lagavulin, or Laphroig, though.
thehighking

Postby Phlosopher » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:54 pm

Yeah, I think you might be right about trying an Islay. lagavulin is such a monster with the peat and the smoke and everything. I like it because it hits you over the head.

For awhile, I haven't been able to enjoy any other Islay (i'm new to trying malts), because they have the qualities I like in Lagavulin to a lesser degree....But, I'm just polishing away a bottle of ardbeg, and it's a little more subtle. And, I think I might enjoy it a little more now (though, probably because I drank it last).

But as for a first Islay, I think Lagavulin is good because it just shows you right away what Islay is all about. ;) That is, if it's in your budget. Most stores here in Texas want 100 for it, while Ardbeg runs 40.
Phlosopher

Postby MGillespie » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:35 am

Joseph, it's too bad that you can't make the drive north to Victoria this weekend. You'd be able to get an excellent lesson at the Victoria Whisky Festival Saturday....

I agree with trying an Islay next...but my other suggestion would be to head into Seattle and hit the bar at F.X. Mcrory's by the stadiums...they have a great selection of malts and it would give you a chance to try several different types and see what you like...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby clicker7 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:09 am

thanks all, but I still don't have a clear cut choice for my next bottle.

I think it will be Abelour 15, as I seem to like the the smoother sweeter tasting malts( I guess Speyside?).

At the moment, I am enjoying a dram of the Balvenie DW, and I decided I love this stuff -- Great nose, delicate and subtle (very orangey, vanilla)! Later on my next dram will be HP12 for a nice sweet round taste to finish off the evening.

Mark, thanks for the input. I wish I could run up to Victoria (great town!!) for the Whisky Fest. I see you know Seattle, I am from New York originally, too bad I was not into SM when I lived there; I bet NYC has a tremendous selection of malt whisky. Seattle seems pretty good, but some that I have read about are not available in this area.

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:36 pm

Joseph, I think the problem is that states with "state stores" don't tend to stock very many single malts, since they don't sell as well as other liquors to the average person, and the concept doesn't allow for a store to specialize in an extensive single malt inventory.

And yes, I'm quite familiar with Seattle...it was almost a second home when we lived in Alaska...still love the place!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Macallan Fine Oak 15

Postby clicker7 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:31 am

Hi All:

I ended up finding a bottle of Macallan Fine Oak 15. Only 1 store in Washington state had it ( they have 3 bottles).

Wow, another excellent bottle- Great nose (orangey, honey, and vanilla), nice body, very smooth, sweet, fresh, oak, spicy, very nice indeed. I will enjoy getting acquainted with it. I liked it so much, I may go back and get another one just to stockpile. Bit pricey (65), but I will use restraint and enjoy it occasionally. I wonder if Vancouver BC has a bigger selection than WA.

This was my first week tasting/buying Single Malts, and so far I really love the Balvenie DW, HP 12, and the Macallan FO 15-- I was lucky to find them with the help of these forums, and tasting reviews.

Thanks all-- please keep suggestions coming!

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:29 pm

Joseph, you work fast my friend.
TO continue tyyour training it's time to venture towards the Isles of Skye, Mull, Jura and Islay.
Have a bash at Takisker 10, Tobermory 10, Jura Superstition and a Bruichladdich 10.
When you have completed this task you will be ready to tackle the mighty Kildaltons in this precise order: Ardbeg 10, Lagavullin 16 and Laphroiag CS 10yo. :D
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:11 pm

If you're coming to Canada to shop for whisky you might want to try the Strath in Victoria, Laphroaig Quarter cask, Tormore 12, Bunnahabhain 12, Cardhu 12 and Jura amongst a cast of over a hundred whiskies and all the ones mentioned are litre bottle at very reasonable prices.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:44 pm

Lawrence would know...

How did things go this weekend?

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby clicker7 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:19 am

Lawrence:

Thanks for pointing me towards the Strath. We are in Victoria occasionally, and we will pay it a visit.

Are all the liquors sold by the liter in Canada?

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:09 pm

Sorry for the slow response time, no most bottles are 700 ml but some bottlings have snuck in from duty free and are thus quite rare. I think the Strath has about six from duty free in the litre size including Cardhu 12, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Tormore 12, Jura Lagacy, Aberlour Antique and Bunnahabhain 12. There are some more on the way.

MG, the weekend (20th & 21st) went very well.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:41 pm

Great...can't wait to see the pictures!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Re: Macallan 12 or Aberlour 15

Postby patrick dicaprio » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:14 am

clicker7 wrote:Hi All:

Just started tasting Single Malts.

I started with the help of forum members with Balvenie 12 Double Wood, and Glenmorangie Port Wood finish.

I really love the Balvenie DW, I find it more complex, mellow, and longer fininish. I love the nose ( to me Orange, Vanilla, nutty); and it also seems smoother than the Glenmorangie P.F..

I need some help with my next choice:

I don't like Harsh, and I don't like Minty flavors ( read Aberlour has a little minty taste?)

My local state shop does not have Highland Park 12 (which many love), so I have to eventually special order.

Any Suggestions?

Thank you,
Joseph

i am not a huge fan of aberlour although others here love it. for my money i would go with the macallan. the aberlour 15 is better than the other aberlours i have had so it is a close call i guess given your criteria.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:10 am

Aberlour 15 and Macallan 15 are both soso 15 yo's. Balvenie, Bruichladich and Dalwhinnie are more full and balanced just to name a few. The Macallan just doesn't have the oomph to justify the dear price, no body or character. The Aberlour just tastes cheep and a tad rough for a 15yo.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:08 pm

I would also plumb for the Dalwhinnie 15yo as I reckon you'd love this highlander honey :wink: . Also i find Glenrothes a nice dram which has a nice sweetness to it and sometimes even a bit of Liquorice. So a bog standard 13/15yo to start you off might not be a bad idea if available in your area.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Aberlour- Macallan

Postby clicker7 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:26 am

Thanks Everyone:

since my original post I bought both Macallan 12, and an Aberlour 15. I really like them both. Can't compare the two.

I do favor the Macallan 12-- Full, Smooth, Sherryish, Sweet, Malty, Citrus (Nose and Taste); I have been reaching for this quite a bit-- I find it very drinkable (This is the "New Bottle"). I've read some older posts talking Macallan down, but this new bottling taste excellent to me, and has an excellent nose (strong sherry, malt, and sweetness/honey) .

The Aberlour is nice-- also Full, Sweet, almost candyish; but to me it seems just a bit heavy, flowery/perfumy-- but it is quite nice.

I also bought Talisker 10 (Blue box) yesterday and WOW ! What a great dram--Very interesting: the nose to me is Peaty, Smoky, and a wee bit Sherry-- But the palate is very full, smooth, nicely-very-sweet, peat, smoky, little sourness, a little salt, and also for me I am getting a good dose of pepper. Very long, warm, sweet, and smoky finish. Very satisfying! Seems to have a bit of everything.

I've read some posts saying this is not as good as the "old" Talisker 10 (which I had never tasted-- but read could make you sweat from the pepper). I think it's delicious, complex, and seems to have plenty of pepper to it. I would be very interested in what others think of this latest Talisker 10?

Thanks to All-- Cheers!
Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder