Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Clynelish 14

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Clynelish , Clynelish 14 Years old

Clynelish 14

Postby Danny » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:38 pm

What is the Clynelish 14 like? Comparable to any other single malts?
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:02 pm

Please try to do a search as it was discussed at length when it came out a while ago. It's a Clynelish, that's for sure :) It is a coastal highland so others that might compare at times would be Old Pulteney and even unpeated Caol Ila's if you can find them as the stills were designed to be almost identical but they don't run much if any peated malt through them.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:35 am

What is the Clynelish 14 like? Comparable to any other single malts?

Better than almost all the others at the same price, a fantastic fruity dram with that warming peat coming through towards the end.

Go for it!!

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:02 am

The Clynelish 14 is one of my top ten favorites. Very unique and reasonably priced. It's a rich, fruity, nutty, lightly smoky, oaky, touch o' salt, sweet type, malt. Just about the right balance of everything. I just wish I could get ahold of a different expression as it's the only one sold around here. You can taste a little Brora in there, just not as mature and complex. Well worth the asking price ($40US). The only thing I've found quite like it is the Ardmore Signatory 1992 bottling which might even be slightly better.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:44 am

jimidrammer wrote:The Clynelish 14 is one of my top ten favorites. Very unique and reasonably priced. It's a rich, fruity, nutty, lightly smoky, oaky, touch o' salt, sweet type, malt. Just about the right balance of everything. I just wish I could get ahold of a different expression as it's the only one sold around here. You can taste a little Brora in there, just not as mature and complex. Well worth the asking price ($40US). The only thing I've found quite like it is the Ardmore Signatory 1992 bottling which might even be slightly better.

I found the Ardmore to show more bourbon cask on the palate than the Clynelish 14. I have enjoyed both and the Clynelish is the smoother of these to smoothies and yet it would be hard to choose one over the other.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Clynelish 14

Postby Danny » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:30 pm

Thanks, to all. Sounds like a worthwhile addition, will pick one up next week.

Did a search and found it in a numbers of threads.
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:45 am

Well worth a go. Clean and Coastal.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:13 pm

One of the best I had so far! Someone mentioned somewhere that Clynelish 14yo OB reminded him of "boot-polish". I was rather sceptical about this one - but I learned to love "boot-polish" in my whisky :wink: .
bernstein
Gold Member

Re: Clynelish 14

Postby patrick dicaprio » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:12 am

Danny wrote:What is the Clynelish 14 like? Comparable to any other single malts?

i dont think it is really comparable to any others. however for an all around whisky i think it is absolutely one of the best. the sooner you get a bottle the better!! and see if you can taste a bit of mustard in it.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:42 am

Hi there,

Clynelish 14?

:) :o :D :lol: :P

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:24 pm

I had some Clynelish when it was first released here and have not had ot for a while and then in the last week or two I've been trying it again and am really taken by it. I recommend it.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Mr Ellen » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:19 pm

For me the Clynelish 14 has become a classic and in my opinion this is one of the better Highlanders...and at a fair price!
I tried to find a difference in taste from the old Flora & Fauna bottling but couldn't really decide if there was one. Has anyone else made a comparison glass to glass?? :roll:

Cheers

Clynelish 14

Postby Danny » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:57 am

Again, thanks to all that gave advice on this. I have bought and tasted.

This is a very nice whisky. Maritime, malty, lots of sweet fruit, nice explosion of spice, bit of tobacco and gets very dry on the finish. Not sure I can pick any mustard, however I will continue to look for it.
Danny
Bronze Member

Related whiskies : Clynelish , Clynelish 14 Years old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder