Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

SWEET, SWEET, SWEET

All your whisky related questions answered here.

SWEET, SWEET, SWEET

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:16 pm

My wife's after a sweet whisky. No peat, no spice, no bitterness. Just a sweet, mellow dram.

In the past, she's enjoyed "Knappogue Castle 1994" (Irish - Cooley Single Malt), "The Smoother Sweeter One (when also just Cooley) and "Glenfiddich 15yo Solera Reserve". "Aberlour a'Bunadh" is taken at a pinch.

She's recently tried "Edradour 10yo" and "Glenfarclas 10yo" and rejected both.

Anyone know anything readily available in the UK that she may like please? Don't mind if it's Scottish, Irish, Bourbon, Single or Blend.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:30 pm

I find most American whiskies to be quite sweet and the Irish blends seem to be sweeter than their malts.

Try Glenmorangie 10 or Port wood finish - nice and sweet 8) Balvenie 10 and 12 as well.

As a bit of a surprise, try your wife with Arbeg 10. I read what you say about her tastes, but Mrs C won't see past it with a bit of chocolate and whisky's not her thing :wink: .
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:42 pm

There is a reasonably priced "Elijah Cragg" (12yo) in our local store. Is that a sweetie?

"Ardbeg 10yo" and chocolate. Wow. Might even give that a try myself. Usually, not a great Ardbeg fan.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:29 pm

The Tyrconnell is getting better each year. It's a nice clean and sweetish malt. They also have a new single cask 13 yr old one, but it's quite expensive at 75 euro.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:09 pm

Aiden

Thanks, but I'm not sure that I've seen that one locally. I think, however, that Marks & Spencer might have a Cooley under one of its stupidly-titled own labels.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:45 pm

Hi Eelbrook - I have tasted a malt/grain blend they do for Dunne's Stores in Ireland. It got something like 94 from Jim Murray. It was nice and sweet, although it wasn't a single malt.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:30 pm

Try the JMR "Smooth Sweeter One"...and they have a new one coming out that's supposed to be even sweeter, but it'll only be at the World of Whiskies duty-free stores at first...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:53 pm

eelbrook wrote:There is a reasonably priced "Elijah Cragg" (12yo) in our local store. Is that a sweetie?..

More spicy than sweet. Though, as noted above, many bourbons are, indeed, sweet. Try a 'wheater' -- a bourbon in which wheat is the flavoring small grain -- such as any Van Winkle, Old Fitzgerald, W.L. Weller (especially the 12yo), or Maker's Mark (more or less in that order of preference, personally).
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:31 am

Good sweet ones that I've had:

Dew of Ben Nevis 12
JW Gold
Balvenie 10
Murray McDavid Clynelish 1990 (loads of sweet bottlings of Clynelish)
Cardhu
Aberlour 15
Dalwhinnie 15.
G&M Pride of Strathspey 12

More as I think of them.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:08 am

Bushmills Three Wood is a remarkably sweet whisky as is Powers Gold Label. Redbreast is another though it might have enough spice to put her off.

In scotches, sherry or port matured or finished whiskies are probably your best bet for sweetness without peat or spice. The Glenmorangie finishes are examples or Duncan Taylor has several nice whiskies which are very sherried like an '81 North Port which was pure sweetness.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby PeatPirate » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:32 am

Hi Eelbrook,

I think perhaps the Balvenie Portwood 21Yis the perfect dram for your wife. It's very sweet and smooth.

The Glendronach 15Y is also sweet and mellow (just sherry, no spices or smoke) with an oaky dry finish.

Glenlivet 12Y French Oak finish is also very sweet and mellow, but also a bit spicy

Regards,

PP
PeatPirate

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:25 am

Thanks all for your great suggestions.

"The Smoother Sweeter One" is no longer in stock at my local Oddbins (or elsewhere in town).

"Glendronach 15yo" is my personal all-time fav. whisky. But again, hard to get around here.

May plump for the "Balvenie 10yo"
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:06 am

Tullibardine 1993 is sweet, toffee and vanilla - no edge at all. I love it, although others sometimes knock it.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:16 am

Hi there,

try Bruichladdich Rocks and 15 Second Edition. Both sweet and as Michael Jackson would probably phrase it "dangerously drinkable".

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby GreyArea » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:19 am

I'd go for a standard Bruichladdich 10 myself. My memory of that is that it's a sweet, almost honeyed whisky.

Jim
GreyArea
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:52 am

I think the KC 1994, is actually Bushmills so why not try another single malt expression from that distillery. The 16yo is very sweet indeed.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:08 pm

Crieftan wrote:Try Glenmorangie 10 or Port wood finish - nice and sweet 8) Balvenie 10 and 12 as well.

I like Glenmorangie Portwood and Balvenie 12. Of cource the Bushmills 16 is also very sweet as well and would be my first choice if you can get it...

Jameson 12 or Blackbush deserve honorable mention. If you really want to blow the roof of the house, try Knob Creek (a 9yr old) by Beam distillery. Very maple sugary! I don't remember Elijah Craig being too sweet - more balanced in fact.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:34 pm

I'd agree with Frodo about KC. Extremely sweet, but it has some punch also.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Sweet Sweet Sweet

Postby Shaun6 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:46 pm

If she liked the Glendronach 15YO, try the Mortlack 16YO, Flora & Fauna, very Sherry
Shaun6

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:37 pm

kallaskander wrote:Hi there,

try Bruichladdich Rocks and 15 Second Edition. Both sweet and as Michael Jackson would probably phrase it "dangerously drinkable".

Bruichladdich Rocks (available from Morrison's exclusively) is brilliant. 8)
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:17 pm

I'm just jumping in here but she will most likely become quite fond of Highland Park 18 if you are so inclined to buy it for her.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:02 pm

My wonderful Oddbins store manager has found me a couple of bottles of JMR's "The Smoother Sweeter One". Sue's drams sorted for now.

But will check out some of your recommendations, as one r two of them intrigue me as well.
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:54 pm

bamber wrote:I'd agree with Frodo about KC. Extremely sweet, but it has some punch also.

True that!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder