Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig 10 and wild garlic?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Laphroaig 10 and wild garlic?

Postby JAL3 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I opened my first bottle of Laphroaig's standard 10 y.o. this weekend (sold at 40% here in Canada) in an attempt to ward off an oncoming cold.

Having never tried it before, I was rather surprised to find a note somewhat like the smell of wild garlic on the palate. I couldn't detect it by nose (due to congestion), but the taste was there.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my bug-ridden taste buds?
JAL3

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:55 pm

You might want to give that a try again after your cold clears up. I have never experienced that.

Scott
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:07 pm

Neither have I.
The most people find it very phenolic, tarry, seaweedy, peaty, medicinal, oily or salty. But I never heard of anyone who refers to garlic. I think it's your cold that makes it taste different.

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:19 pm

I haven't gotten garlic in the 10yo, but a nosing of the Laphroaig 15yo the other day produced Kosher dill that wasn't there before. Laphroaig can surprise you sometimes. I guess it's the "variables factor". :wink: Everything in life can affect your senses and Whisky is sensitive to that. My notes seem to evolve that way. I keep going back and revising what I wrote a year ago. All the more fun.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:28 pm

I don't what wild garlic tastes like :oops: Is it like normal garlic ?

Sounds nice.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby JAL3 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone -- I guess I was a bit naive in figuring my semi-stuffed nose and raw throat wouldn't make that much of a difference. It's clearing up now, so I'll taste another bit in a few days.

Mr. Ellen, I only wish I could have tasted the "phenolic, tarry, seaweedy, peaty, medicinal, oily or salty" notes...it did seem dominated by this particular taste. I'm not sure exactly what peat tastes like yet - perhaps this is how it's manifest on a cold sufferer's palate?

Bamber, wild garlic is a weed (more or less) that grows practically everywhere in central and eastern U.S. and Canada. It looks a bit like a chive, but has a very pungent aroma (even more so than regular garlic). I'm told it has it's uses in the kitchen, but I've never been brave enough!
JAL3

Postby bamber » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:32 pm

Sounds great chopped on some beef tomatoes, with some mozzarella and olive oil.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Lees » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:36 pm

I havent noticed any garlic in my Laphroaig 10yo, but it may happen. Everyone has different "taste". E.g. on a Bowmore 12yo there are producer tasting notes - nose: lemon and peers - and luckily to me I noticed peers and a little lemon or lime. In comparison Johannes (http://www.maltmadness.com) feels Boemore 12yo as sherry.

Slainte
Lees

Postby Scotty Mc » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:58 am

I had some 10yo in a bar last night. The taste was slightly strange, a lot of soil which seemed to kill the peat :cry:
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby JAL3 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:42 pm

My cold has now cleared up, so I had a wee glass last night. I still maintain that there is a weird, pungent, almost acetone (like nail polish remover) note to this bottle...a bit like garlic/chives one moment, then very solvent-like the next.

Also, because I'm a noob, I always seem to spill a drop or two down the side of the bottle when pouring. When I wipe the drop away with my fingers, there's a very strong smoky smell, like I'd been holding someone's cigarette for them. None of that smoke is really on the nose or on the palate, however, at least certainly not to the extent it was in the bottle of Dun Bheagan 8 y.o. Islay I just finished.

What a strange whisky!! I don't think it bottles well at 40%...I can only hope the other expressions make it to Ontario soon.
JAL3

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:08 am

JAL3, if you don't already, try a good five minutes of hand-warming, or warm your glass with hot tap water, and see what you get then. What kind of glass are you using?
Deactivated Member

Postby JAL3 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Mr. T - I'll give it a whirl. I am using a crystal X-5 (what they call a 'wine tasting glass'), and I usually do pour two fingers or so, then cup the glass for a few minutes before taking the first sip. My place is pretty well-heated right now too, far above the 16-Celsius of a good Scottish manor!
JAL3

Postby Steven Dilley » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:03 am

I've picked up garlic, chive, and onion with Islays before. Not with the Laphroaig 10 necessarily, but certainly with some older Bowmores.
Steven Dilley

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder