Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg 1977 Info

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg 1977

Ardbeg 1977 Info

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:19 pm

What year was this released? How much was made?
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:47 pm

Hi Aidan,

Ardbeg 1977 (46%) was distilled on februari, 3rd-1977 and bottled in 2001.
Total outturn of this release was 2400 bottles.

That was however the first release. If you browse the Ardbeg website you will find that they have just "recovered" lost (misplaced?!) casks of the 1977 Ardbeg which can now be bought at their online shop (£50.00).
So I guess the total number of 1977 Ardbeg bottles will remain a mystery. Maybe they will "recover" some more casks in the future while "cleaning" the warehouse.

Postby Scotchio » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:14 pm

Ahhh Mr Ellen you got me all excited then. I can only see the rediscovered 17 yr old on the site. If theyd had the 77 at £50 Id have been after a case. It still turns up on auctions for around £100 and If you havent tried it already it is probably just about worth the price. Quite sweet for a 70s Ardbeg.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:14 pm

Thanks Mr Ellen. I think that's the 17 yr old that they have for sale in the shop. They did "find" extra 1977s and sold them for £69, but they sold out fast.

They're selling in shops and auctions for up to £150 now.
Aidan

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:18 pm

Hi there,

does anybody know if they found casks or already filled bottles? How many?
Small wonder the 1977 was gone fast.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:20 pm

I had heard that they bought them back from Switzerland, or somethign like that, already bottled.
Aidan

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:23 pm

Actually, I bought a bottle in the Islay Whsky Shop last October and on the back it says "imported and distributed by Bacardi Martini (Suisse) Sarl Meyrin, Geneva" on the back of the bottle.
Aidan

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:25 pm

Hi there,

thank you.

Here another trace of the seldom seen peat monster.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/acatal ... 5_187.html

"1st July 2005

2 Single Bourbon Casks of Ardbeg made for Italy just arrived."

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/news1.html

As it is reported to be very shy, it could have moved on by this time.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:28 pm

Sorry,

My mistake. Didn't see that the "rediscovered" 1977 had sold out. Anyway, it's nice to see they have also found lost casks of the 17 yo.
I thought I still had a 1977 Ardbeg in my cabinet but somehow it seems mysteriously gone...strange!!

Regards...

Postby corbuso » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:54 pm

Aidan wrote:Actually, I bought a bottle in the Islay Whsky Shop last October and on the back it says "imported and distributed by Bacardi Martini (Suisse) Sarl Meyrin, Geneva" on the back of the bottle.

The rediscovered bottles of Ardbeg were the original bottlings of 2001. These are not rediscovered casks.

In Switzerland, It is still quite easy to find some 1977 Ardbegs for less than £80. Switzerland got a large part of those 2400 bottles (would guess at least 20%). One distributor has some problems around October 2005 and had sell most of its stock (containing also some Ardbeg 1978, Ardbeg 17 and Springbank 21 YO).

Corbuso

---------------

http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:02 pm

Hi Guys ,
They weren't "misplaced" casks , they were just bottles .
At the same time as the 17 and 1977 went on sale i know the distillery were selling off other bottles too ( Kildalton , Various Feis Ile bottles , Provenance ) which were bottle that had been held for collection at the distillery but weren't !!!! Lots of your fellow countrymen snapped these up Anders .
Regarding the 17 and 1977 , this isn't the first time that stock has been returned for re-sale (if thats the right description) , it happened a couple of years ago with the US Provenance .
It's funny how certain Ardbegs don't seem to sell well , The Committee 21yo and Committee Reserve were around for a little while on the Old Kiln shelves . The Kildalton lasted longer than what i expected but the Single cask one's seem to fly ( all those e-bay speculators i suppose ......) .
I've seen on a few websites about there been only being 2400 of the 1977 but i'm curious as to where the distilling date comes from ?

Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:48 pm

The figures and distillation date for the Ardbeg 1977 release are picked from the german Whisky Archive website:
http://www.whisky-datenbank.de

The 1977 release was never as hyped as the 1975 release, which was lifted to the skies by practically every whisky related person in the world. The demand for the 1975 was, and still is, outrageously great. But I can certainly agree that the figures are low for an Ardbeg release.
More suprprisingly was the release of the Ardbeg Committee Bottling. This 21-year old release was offered in a limited edition of 2500 bottles to over 6000 Committee Members. It was not sold out (as one could have expected) and you could still buy it from the Ardbeg Distillery's website until a year ago.

And C_I, I think the reason Port Ellen Rare Malts Editions are harder to find is the fact that (by the time of their release) most Port Ellen's were actually drunk. It's only over the last couple of years the demand for Port Ellen's has exploded and today everyone seems to be on the hunt for P.E.'s to put into their collections as this is regarded one of the rarest Islay Malts.

Regards...

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:25 pm

Hi Anders ,
I saw it on Martin's site as well , was just wondering if you'd seen it somewhere else just to confirm it . I don't know where Martin got it from (i'll have to ask him !) as i've never seen it anywhere , will have to dig out a bottle and have a good look on it !
I agree with you about the 1975 , i actually preferred the 1978 to it .
It's funny how things go with closed distilleries , i remember seeing the Rare Malts two releases readily available until the "Annual" Releases came onto the market . It's funny how Port Ellen suddenly took off when UDV said these were the lasts of the stocks ( were there not only going to be 4 in the original statement ? Are they doing a "Hitchhikers" with the 5th one ? ) .
Strange things......

Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:48 pm

Hello Gordon,

I have been looking at my other Ardbeg bottlings and haven't found any numbers/quantities/dates or whatsoever on them. But I guess Martin has his reliable sources.

When I pre-ordered my first Annual Release of the Port Ellen I was told there were 3 annual releases planned. Now, we have 5 and I still think there are more to come. There has been such a boost and almost ridiculous hype around Port Ellen and I think Diageo wants to ride on this money making train for as long as possible.

Take another example. A couple of years ago, Douglas Laing released 1 or 2 Port Ellens/year.
Last year (2005) they released at least 10-12 different bottlings of this "rare" malt. Coincidence or opportunity to make money??

Regards...

Postby misa » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:06 am

24 000 sounds more like it. Anyone ever seen a ´77 vintage other than this bottling?If so, sell it to me.
misa

Postby Frodo » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:55 am

Hi Misa:

A G&M Ardie '77 sells at the LCBO (Summerhill location) for about C$450 or so.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ardbeg 1977

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder