Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glasgow Query

General chat and talk about whisky.

Glasgow Query

Postby Mr Ellen » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:56 pm

I am going to Glasgow over the next weekend. I have been there a couple of times before. I know some whisky shops and I am quite familiar with the Pot Still bar, which of course is going to be my second home during the stay.
Do you have any other recomendations what to see and do during my stay?
Are there any other whisky shops beyond The Whisky Shop, Grahams or Oddbins that I have to visit? It would be nice to find a shop with odd bottlings and collector's stuff. Any suggestions as what to buy etc.
Good restaurants?
Distillery visits?
I'm also doing a one day trip to Edinburgh. Any shops there except for the Royal Mile? Any good pubs ?
All recomendations highly appreciated.

Regards...

Postby Aidan » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:41 pm

Hi Mr. Ellen

The Auchentoshan Distillery is very near the city. You could go there.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:10 pm

Hi there,

up on the Castle Hill, just before the entrance to the castle proper is the Malt Heritage Centre (was that the name?). It is the last house on the left side of the street. Worth a visit. On the Royal Mile itself are some smaller and bigger whisky shops beside Royal Mile Whisky. If you walk on the Royal Mile and look left and right you will come across some very interesting shops.

Enjoy your stay.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:17 pm

Royal mile whiskies do have a fair choice as well as TheWhiskyShop (please don't forget that they have different shops and might store different products).

Corbuso

-------------
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Bars

Postby ApriliaKen » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:03 pm

The Pot Still is great and it's a good choice ... perhaps you'd like to try further afield.

Take a look at the Ben Nevis at 1147 Argyle Street (a long walk from the Pot Still!) where the whiskies are numerous and excellent and the landlady is a gem.

Or further out on what is pretty much the same street (but is by now called Dumbarton Road) there's the Lismore at number 206, and it's got a great selection of whiskies, too.

There's also a whisky "speed testing" event on in Glasgow just now - Oran Mor, between 3pm and 5pm on Saturday, 28th January is the final one. Tutored tastings are also available but you'd need to contact the tourist office for info on those.

Sadly I'm playing rugby on Saturday or I'd buy you a dram in the Pot Still!

Ken
ApriliaKen

Postby toshie » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:28 pm

Or you could venture slightly further out into the countryside and try
Glengoyne. It's a lovely distillery with a fine selection of drams in the shop.

http://www.glengoyne.com/
toshie
Bronze Member

Re: Bars

Postby Mr Ellen » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:50 pm

ApriliaKen wrote:
Sadly I'm playing rugby on Saturday or I'd buy you a dram in the Pot Still!

Ken

Hi Ken!

You can still buy me a dram, it's next weekend!! :D
I will probably be on Pot Still both friday and saturday.

See you...

Postby ApriliaKen » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:38 pm

OK, I finish work about 7.30pm on Friday and should be in soon after.

See you then!

Ken
ApriliaKen

Postby Mr Ellen » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:24 pm

Great, it will be nice to meet you. :D
I'll probably be there until closing time. I might be a bit later than 7.30pm depending if we're going to Edinburgh during the day or not.

Cheers!

Postby The Dazzler » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:30 pm

Mr Ellon,

Glasgow has a lot of well stocked whisky bars but Edinburgh is probably best for whisky shops.

If you visit Edinburgh, you could visit the Heritage Centre, (by the Castle on the Royal Mile), but perhaps only for the bar there, the tour is OK but if you have visited distilleries and have a bit of knowledge it might be a waste of your money.

On the Royal Mile most bars carry a genourous range of malts, with the Albanach, (0n the corner of Cockburn st) having a particularly good range and The Malt Shovel down on Cockburn st are good on their prices. For Shops, Oddbins, Royal Mile Whiskies and down on the Cannongate there is Cadenhead, (all on the Royal Mile). You have to visit the Bow Bar on Victoria st, (just off the Royal Mile on the right hand side coming down from the castle), for real ales and a fine whisky selection. The Whisky Shop is directly across the road from the Bow Bar, (Whisky Shop in Princes Mall is currently closed for refurbishment).

Away from the old town area you have the Canny Man, (morningside), Bennets, (Tollcross), Mathers, (west End) which are all good bars.

Plenty to enjoy for one day!!

In Glasgow, I am not sure if Robert Graham has re-opened since it caught fire last year. And I would second the trip to either Glengoyne or Auchentoshan.

Slainte!
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:37 pm

Excellent!

Just what I needed...Thank you Dazzler!!
I will try to visit them all (might just stumble into the last ones).

:D :D :D :D :D

Regards...

Postby The Fachan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:42 pm

Mr. Ellon.

A few others in Glasgow maybe worth looking at are the Ubiquitous Chip on Ashton Lane for both food and whisky, Jinty McGintys also in Ashton Lane for Irish. Oranmor on Great Western Road, Blackfriars in the Merchant City.
Uisge Beatha on Woodlands Road, there is the Cellar Bar in Airdrie(just outside Glasgow), as is the St. Andrews Bar in Coatbridge.
Drop me a line if I can be of more help.

Regards

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:16 pm

The Bow Bar, my favorite pub in the whole wide world, can be a little tricky to find. Coming down the hill from the castle, you will arrive at an intersection where Deacon Brodie's pub is on the left. (Warning: tourist trap, do not enter.) Turn right, and right again. The street curves down toward the Grassmarket, and the Bow is about halfway down on the left. There are some passable pubs in the Grassmarket for a quick pub meal (no food at the Bow), and there is an internet cafe at the foot of the hill, on the same side as the Bow, whence you may post to us your impressions.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder