Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Postby BCE22 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:48 pm

Hello Everyone:

I'm interested in your opinions of the Laphroaig QC. What do you think about it? How does it compare to the other Laphroaigs as well as other Islays?

Its seems to be pretty reasonably priced at approx. $47 per 750ml.

I'm curious to hear what you have to say.

Thanks in advance!

-Brad
BCE22

Postby Lawrence » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:28 am

I REALLY like it and have bought a few bottles so I have a bit of a back up supply. I think I might like it a bit more than the OB 10 if you can believe such a thing. It has a bit more peat and a more creamy (?) mouthfeel with a sligthly tart after taste and still has loads of peat.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby voigtman » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:35 am

I love Laphroaigs and the Quarter Cask is an excellent one. My small preference is for the Laphroaig 10 cask strength (57.3%), but I assume the slightly lower proof one (55.4%) is just about as good, though I have not needed to buy one yet. Even the USA 43% Laphroaig 10 is very good indeed. I find the 15 YO to be more elegant and delicious, but not quite so peaty as the 10 year olds, so I like them a little better. If I had to rank them, it would be L 10 CS (57.3%) on top, L QC next, L 10 third, then L 15, but even the L 15 is great. Definitely get the Quarter Cask and compare it with the standard 10 and let us know what you find. Slainte, Ed V.
voigtman

Postby Admiral » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:51 am

Methinks the Quarter Cask is one of the best Laphroaigs on the market. Absolutely brilliant.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby jeffk » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:05 am

I'm a big Laphroaig fan, and absolutely love the 10 CS. The 10OB IMHO is very hard to beat for the price ($30USD). I haven't tried the QC yet, but I did just get back from the liquor store with a bottle of QC a few minutes ago, so tonight I intend to sample it, and contrast it to the other Laphroaigs. I'll post my findings. I'm definately looking forward to it :)
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:15 am

You guys are killing me, when is it coming to the rest of us? I read that Laphroaig is supposed to be launching a big ad campaign on the US soon, so any news about that?
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:21 am

jimidrammer wrote:You guys are killing me, when is it coming to the rest of us? I read that Laphroaig is supposed to be launching a big ad campaign on the US soon, so any news about that?

You aint the Lone Ranger, Tonto! Never seen the 10yo CS let alone the QC here in T.O..
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby jeffk » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:37 am

Ok, after pouring myself a healthy dram of the QC, the nose is as peaty as the 10 but a bit more, with a sweetness in the nose as well, akin to Ardbeg 10's caramel sweetness, but not as apparent, but noticable.

The palate is superb. Some peatiness, and a richness that is similar to Uigeadail but without the bite, and not as hot. Sweeter, thicker, and extremely nice.

The finish is moderate in length.

This is a very, very nice dram. I believe it's right up there with the 10 CS, and I don't notice the youngness that others have reported, it seems like a very nice middle-aged whisky.

And for you poor folks that can't get it up in Canada, I'm terribly sorry, but I'll do my best to drink your share ;)
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby sasse » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:56 am

I have to buy one today when you all love the QC.
Its not often you se that so many have the same likings about something :D
It have to be god then.

R/Sasse
sasse

Postby Selassie » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:04 am

It's a shame we can only get the 10yo from the LCBO in Ontario, I really like this whisky and can only imagine what a more refined Laphroaig tastes like. :cry:
Selassie

Postby sasse » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:09 am

Selassie wrote:It's a shame we can only get the 10yo from the LCBO in Ontario, I really like this whisky and can only imagine what a more refined Laphroaig tastes like. :cry:

I can put one in a envelope and send it to you :D

R/sasse
sasse

Postby jeffk » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:11 am

Hmm, yes, it's that good - I just had to pour a second dram.

I'll sleep good tonight methinks :shock:
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby sasse » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:32 am

Mmmmm.
Im cant almost not wait until after work.

R/Sasse
sasse

Postby MGillespie » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm

I've said this before in this forum, but I love the Quarter Cask, and it's one of my true favorites. One of my local stores has started selling it for about $57 USD a bottle, and I can see myself keeping a bottle or two on the shelf as long as it's available...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby BCE22 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:07 pm

Wow!

Its settled then I need to by at least 2 bottles of it! :lol:

Thanks again,

-Brad
BCE22

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:28 am

And for you poor folks that can't get it up in Canada, I'm terribly sorry, but I'll do my best to drink your share

We have it in Canada, I have a few bottles stored away....

Any Canadian who is intetested in how to aquire a bottle please PM me.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:23 pm

I've got a bottle of Laphroaig QC and it's excellent. It's taste is like the 10 year old but it has a 'fresh' quality to it that most whiskies don't otherwise have.

Worth the extra few pounds or bucks to buy if you're a fan of Laphroaig 10.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Re: Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Postby GreyArea » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:31 am

BCE22 wrote:Hello Everyone:

I'm interested in your opinions of the Laphroaig QC. What do you think about it? How does it compare to the other Laphroaigs as well as other Islays?

-Brad

I'll simply add what I tend to add when asked about the QC, which is that my wife summed it up perfectly - "less smoke and more fire" than the standard 10.

A lovely, lovely dram.

Jim
GreyArea
Bronze Member

Postby DramMeister » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:25 pm

Can anyone tell me, is the QC a limited expression or is it going to out there for a while?

I'm itching to buy one after all the stuff on this thread!
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:08 pm

I believe it is limited but also a one that may stay for a while. Saying that, its inexpensive. Ive seen in at £26, cannot remember where but I think it was Tesco
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:32 pm

I understand that's it's a limited product but will be available on a continuing basis. I have stocked up. :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:48 am

Scotty Mc wrote:I believe it is limited but also a one that may stay for a while. Saying that, its inexpensive. Ive seen in at £26, cannot remember where but I think it was Tesco

It's available in Tesco and Oddbins for £26
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Jan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:33 am

Did'nt it start out as a limited run, available primarily to the "Friends of Laphroaig" ?

Afterwards it was decided to start a regular production and to include it in the core range of Laphroaigs, at first only available in duty-free, later generally available...
I recall reading some posts elsewhere from FOL members that were quite irked to have paid a higher price for a limited one off, only to see it emerge as an inexpensive standard bottling shortly after.

I do not think it is limited at all - it certainly does not fit with the fact that it is available in the large supermarket chains at inexpensive prices.

Still - who cares ? It's a lovely whisky and it is nice that you can get something good once in a while without paying premium prices :D

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:52 am

The first "Run" of QC was indeed offered to the Friends Of Laphroaig.

I don't know how much they were charged, but it was always going to be readily available, it was just in short supply at the beginning.

I remember sitting in a presentation with Robin Shields, (Ex Manager of Laphroaig) at The Munich Whisky Festival in February 2005 when he told us about QC.
At that time he said the first bottles were being offered to FOL but it would eventually be rolled out as a standard and ongoing bottling.

Regards,
WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:56 am

At this point I will also add that I was pleasantly surprised and pleased when I tried it myself.

As far I see, there is no actual age statement on the QC, but Robin Shields explained that by using smaller (Quarter size) Casks, the maturation didn't require as long. He 'hinted' tha tthe age of the QC was more like 8-9 years than the normal 10 years.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby karlejnar » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:22 am

Jan wrote:Did'nt it start out as a limited run, available primarily to the "Friends of Laphroaig" ?

Yes - they even did a draw among members since the first run was indeed limited in numbers. I was one of the "lucky" winners :roll:
Jan wrote:I recall reading some posts elsewhere from FOL members that were quite irked to have paid a higher price for a limited one off, only to see it emerge as an inexpensive standard bottling shortly after.

Well sometimes you have to pay the price of being a "pioneer". Afterall it took a little while before it was widely available.
WhiskyHammer wrote:I don't know how much they were charged, but it was always going to be readily available, it was just in short supply at the beginning.

The price was £39 including postage. And then add another £13 to the danish state, as I was also "lucky" to win the draw at the danish post :evil:
And of course we didn't know that it was going to be produced in higher numbers later :wink:
We just thought they gave us a nice treat of being the chosen one's to taste their experiment. I'd like to think that they didn't make up their minds to continue the "speeded" maturing proces before they got the positive feedback from people tasting it.

And I also happen to like it very much better than the standard "watery" 10yo 40%. It's a nice easy drinking whisky. When in mood for more heavy peat I do prefer the CS version tho' :P
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:51 pm

However, the first run for the FoL was a collectible version. According to the distillery, the tin for that run had a golden colored cap on the top (if I remember correctly), while the regular production runs since then have the usual green cap.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:37 pm

It hasn't been officially released in Canada yet but it is available from duty free at Vancouver airport. There's a flaw in the government liquor control board system that is allowing 'some' retailers to order duty free stock. It's not going to last forever and once they determine what's been happening they'll close the door, so to speak. The nice thing is it's in 1 litre bottles and the cost is only C$87, we've managed to order many, many cases and distribute them to the deserving and needy.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Mr Ellen » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:03 pm

MGillespie wrote:However, the first run for the FoL was a collectible version. According to the distillery, the tin for that run had a golden colored cap on the top (if I remember correctly), while the regular production runs since then have the usual green cap.
Mark

That is not correct. I received 2 bottles as a Friend Of Laphroaig. I was one of the lucky chosen who was able to buy a bottle after the initial lottery. (I bought the second one through a friend of mine).
Not to long after I received the FOL bottle I saw it was officially released and bought a couple of bottles more as I thought this was a "Limited Edition".
After comparing the bottles I can say there is not the slightest difference between the "official" release and the FOL bottling...they are as identical as 2 bottles possibly can be.
So much for being a FOL... :(

Cheers...

Postby karlejnar » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:00 am

Hi Anders

I think Mark meant the cap on the tin, not the bottle.

But out of curiosity I just went to my cupboard and checked. Both my tin's has ordinary green caps - no difference whatsoever.

I agree with you - so much for being a "lucky" winner in the FOL lottery :shock:
But then again - we were still able to taste it before others :P
Come to think of it - so were the visitors at Whisky Live just one or two weeks later :roll:
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:08 pm

Yes...I meant the cap on the tin...and I was slightly wrong. Thanks to the miracle of e-mail archiving, here's the response I received from Laphroaig last June:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mark,

The lid on the tube of the first production was a light, golden colour of green, but the lid on the new run is the same standard dark green that it it on our normal 10yo whisky.

Kind Regards,

Alice Guest
FOL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Fri 03/06/2005 21:46
To: Laphroaig Info
Subject: Contact from web site

Name: Mark Gillespie
Email: (no longer valid and edited)
Subject: Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Comments: Just wanted to check...is there a way to tell whether bottles of the Quarter Cask are from the first release or the second release, and whether they were part of the FoL-exclusive release. I was able to win a bottle at auction, and would like to figure out whether it was part of the FoL release.

Thanks!

Mark Gillespie
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:52 pm

I like Laphroaig. I like it very much - so did my father before me. Always a bottle in the house and I've carried on the tradition. I'd always favoured the 10yo CS .....until I met up with Quarter Cask. WOW! 8)
I'm concerned that it is limited. Time to stock up :P
Deactivated Member

Postby DramMeister » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:31 pm

Scotty Mc wrote:I believe it is limited but also a one that may stay for a while. Saying that, its inexpensive. Ive seen in at £26, cannot remember where but I think it was Tesco

I went to Tesco's but forgot my wallet Doh
I was concerned to see that they had a discontinued label on the CS, does the introduction of QC mean they'll be less of the CS?
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby karlejnar » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:22 pm

MGillespie wrote:Yes...I meant the cap on the tin...and I was slightly wrong. Thanks to the miracle of e-mail archiving, here's the response I received from Laphroaig last June:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mark,

The lid on the tube of the first production was a light, golden colour of green, but the lid on the new run is the same standard dark green that it it on our normal 10yo whisky.

OK Mark - I think I have to check my lid's again in daylight to see if there is a difference. Since I gave away my 10yo as a Christmas gift for my wife's fiddle teacher, I can't compare with that. But maybe the same green lid is used on the CS, which I happily got two of :D
If the QC lid's turns out to be alike, an explanation could be that Oddbins got the first delivery from the same bottling as the FOL bottles.

Be back tomorrow with more info :wink:
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:58 pm

MGillespie wrote:

Kind Regards,

Alice Guest
FOL

I have now compared the lids from my tins and there is actually a very small difference. I have a bottle with a lighter "goldish" green colour which must be the FOL bottling.
I do think they could have done it like Ardbeg did on their "Very Young" expression when they stated "For Discussion" across the label. It's really hard to notice a difference at first glimpse. (Not that it matters..I'm going to drink them all anyway :wink: )

Cheers

Related whiskies : Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder