Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Blackadder Raw Cask

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Blackadder Raw Cask

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:01 pm

I think this is a swedish company but I was wondering about the quality of their bottlings and if it's possible to buy any of their bottlings outside Sweden (not ebay etc) ?

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:58 pm

Blackadder is also known as Aberdeen Distillers. I think they are Scottish, but not sure. Their whiskies are pretty hard to find but one or two have had excellent write-ups.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:07 pm

Nick Brown wrote:Blackadder is also known as Aberdeen Distillers. I think they are Scottish, but not sure. Their whiskies are pretty hard to find but one or two have had excellent write-ups.

Thanks Nick - I didn't know that. I'll see if I can find a bottle somewhere when travelling the coming summer.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Scotchio » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:17 pm

do a google search and you will find their site and outlets
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:22 pm

Hi Christian

Try this link: http://www.blackadder.com/

As far as I know they have an excellent reputation... but have not yet tried them myself.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Re: Blackadder Raw Cask

Postby Mr Ellen » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:35 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:I think this is a swedish company but I was wondering about the quality of their bottlings and if it's possible to buy any of their bottlings outside Sweden (not ebay etc) ?

Christian

Hello Christian,

As I am living in Sweden and often has been in contact with Blackadder I take the opportunity to answer your question.
I don't know where in Norway you live but you could always do a search at http://www.systembolaget.se and type Blackadder or the whisky brand you're looking for. If you're close to the border you can then order it to the nearest Systembolag and pick it up there.
Or you could (better and cheaper) try any of the german onlineshops which have more Blackadder bottlings than you'll find here in Sweden.
I was on the hunt for the just released Port Ellen Raw Cask 1979/26y, 56.9% and contacted Blackadder just to be told that no bottles at all would be released in Sweden. For example you could try:
http://www.whizita.de
They have an excellent range of rare and hard to get bottlings and they can probably find what you're looking for.
The quality is everything from poor to excellent. The "Raw Cask" often contains small sediments from the cask. I recently had a Highland Park which was fantastic!
Are there any particular Blackadder bottlings you want?

This is the official site:
http://www.blackadder.se
Here you'll find what's available, sold-out, forthcoming whisky and all the relevant info you need!

Cheers

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:59 pm

Thanks guys, that helps a lot! Mr Ellen, I'll be having my vacation in the eastern parts of Norway and I've also planned a little trip to Karlstad. I did the search you suggested at Systembolaget in Drotningsgatan and I must say the selection is a lot better than most stores I've been to in Norway. Think I'll order in advance and pick up either in Karlstad or in Årjeng. Really looking forward to it :)

Oh, I didn't really have anything special in mind. Any of the especially good ones will do. Any suggestions (think I'll set the limit to SEK 1000,- as I'm thinking of getting several bottles (not neccesarily Blackadder) .
Mr Fjeld

Postby kallaskander » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:26 am

Hi there,

hello Christian the Blackadder "Raw Cask" concept take a little bit of getting used to which I have not yet managed. But it is said that their raw Cask Highland Park 1982 57,6% abv is one of the best independent bottlings of HP there is.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:08 pm

kallaskander wrote:Hi there,

hello Christian the Blackadder "Raw Cask" concept take a little bit of getting used to which I have not yet managed. But it is said that their raw Cask Highland Park 1982 57,6% abv is one of the best independent bottlings of HP there is.

Greetings
kallaskander

Hi Kallaskander!
Thanks for your response - is it the residuals that put you off?

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby kallaskander » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:44 am

Hi there,

not the residuals as such, Christian. The Raw Casks are an artificial concept the way they are carried out. That is plain overdoing it in order to create an illusion of authenticism that IMO was never authentic in the former years Blackadder claims to revive. Or in simpler words: Maybe in former years there was more residue from the barrel in the bottle but I do not believe that the barrels were scratched out to have enough of the stuff to go around for all bottles filled from one barrel! I just do not believe that what they do really is the original way whisky was bottled. Whisky was originally sold in barrels and local pubs or grocers sold it on from the barrel without filtering that is surely true but no one would have thought of scratching a barrel out to give every costumer his fair share of lees to take away in his crock or jar. The barrels were not even opened from bottom or top and when the selling of whisky in bottles began the first bottlers surely did try to keep the lees out of the bottley just because in the glass bottle you could see them! No I think, the Raw Cask is an overkill.
I am not too fond of chill-filtering most of the times but I do not want to have to filter everyone of my drams myself either before drinking. What is more, the charcoal from the barrel walls does wonders to the malt in maturing but I am not too sure that it is healthy to consume these bits of burnt wood directly.

Greetings
kallaskander
Last edited by kallaskander on Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:58 pm

Sounds like you have a good point Kallaskander. I never thought of it that way but it does look like they are overplaying it. Kind of funny though that you can find the total opposite of the chillfiltering business.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Lawrence » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:12 pm

Remember the difference between chill filtering and gross filtering. The later is designed to remove bits of wood etc from the whisky and uses a simple screen of fine caliber. Leaving any bits and bobs in the whisky for a 'marketing' effect is simply suspect at best.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:37 pm

Interesting to see that their website is a .com, but all the pages are registered in Niue.
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder