Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Islay peat monsters( Kildalton malts)

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Heavily peated Kildalton recommendations

Ardbeg 10
21%
Ardbeg Uigeadail
5%
Other Ardbegs
13%
Laphroaig 10
No votes
Laphroaig QC
13%
Laphroaig cask strength
18%
Other Laphroaigs
3%
Lagavulin 12 cask strength
5%
Lagavulin 16
18%
Lagavulin disillers edition
5%
Other Lagavulins
No votes

Total votes : 39

Islay peat monsters( Kildalton malts)

Postby Scotchio » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:42 pm

Yes here we are again but with a slight difference. This is a chance to wax lyrical about all those lovely peat monsters from the south shore.the poll itself is merely a sign post for the tasting notes and opinions that I hope members will include. If all goes well Jan will be putting this poll in a FAQ section regarding Islay were those in need of a peat fix will be able to access and update it regularly. Oh and Nick my good friend please dont shoot the pianist! I'm only trying to help.
Last edited by Scotchio on Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:49 pm

To make a start I currently have the Laga 16,Laphroaig QC and Ardbeg 10 open. I voted QC because it's the best Laphroaig I've had for a while rich supple and sweetly malty but retaining that unique iodine kick. The Laga 16 is as good as ever so full flavoured that a dram can last a good hour and a half . My Ardbeg 10 was initially a real disappointment. Complexity being swamped by a murky toffee overtone. It is gradually settling into something closer to what I expected as the toffee note seems to fade with time.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:19 pm

I have the Laga 16, Ardbegs 10, very young, uigeadail & serendipity and Laphroaigh 10 open at the moment and recently killed off my QC.

What can I say - they are all good, peaty whiskies, hard to really recommend one over the other.

If I should give it a go, it would be something like:

1) Lagavulin 16yo (The answer to the "one whisky on an island" question)
2) Ardbeg Uigeadail (Smoky & sweet and fullbodied...)
3) Laphroaig 10 (It's just a classic malt - always a favourite)
4) Laphroaigh QC (Yes, it's nice - smoky-sweet and young- recommended to everybody)
5) Ardbeg 10 (The favourite of many – just not mine. A fine dram though)

An old favourite, thats now hard to find are the Ardbeg 17 - If you ever get the chance to get a bottle of this - take it. You will find a far less smoky dram than than almost any other ardbeg, but this just leaves more room for all the other flavours of this complex dram.

I have unfortunately never tried either the Lagavulin 12cs or the Laphroaigh 10cs – both are also recommended by many – and are definitely on my list of future purchases.

If you are into heavy peatyness you could also give some of the mystery malts & vattings a go - Mcleod's 8yo Islay comes to mind as a fine example of an inexpensive, yet good and very peaty dram.

Cheers
Jan
Last edited by Jan on Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:29 am

Ardbeg 10 gets my vote (boring I know, but I love this whisky), followed by Lagavulin 16yo. The Ardbeg 1977 is great (another boring one I know).

I'd like to see Laphroaig 15yo on that list as that is my favourite affordable Laphroaig and one I believe JM reviews very poorly. I've gone off the 2 10yo expressions these last 12 months. The Lahproaig 30yo is magic. Had some pretty good Laphroaigs at the SMWS bar. The QC is good but behind the 15yo IMO.

Uigeadail, I keep telling myself I like this whiksky but I'm not sure I really do. It's pretty full on, but I'm not sure how well integrated it is. I've had a bottle open for quite a while now and I'd now place it bottom of the Ardbeg OB's I've tried (still above the Laphroaig 10yo and 10yo CS).

A lot of people knock the Lagavulin 12yo CS for lacking complexity. Well maybe it does but it is just so sweet, oily, smooth, peaty and delicious that I rate it very highly. Not had the Lagavulin DE or the 25yo. Must get round to trying the DE at some point as I've never come across a Lagavulin IB.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:57 am

Sorry about the 15 I had intended to include it. Cant work out how to add it. If anyone can please feel free to.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:20 am

I think it sits happily in the other Laphroaigs section :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:53 pm

I voted Ardbeg 10. To me it captures everything just right. The others I've tried:

Ardbeg Uigeadail: very good job putting this one together, but I find it just a little rough around the edges.

Laphroaig 10: good bargain for a standard strength.

Laphroaig 10 C/S: more punch than a heavyweight boxer, great.

Lagavulin 12 C/S: a little too hot for what it tries to be, but cut with water(which I rarely do) it really finds its place.

Lagavulin 16: Love its unique quality and richness. I save it for special occasions.

Laphroaig 15: yes it really does belong in the poll, but I would love to find a Laphroaig at this age as a C/S, I imagine that would be sublime.

Ardbeg 17 is not "Heavily peated" so would not fit here, although very good.

Also, it is hard for me not to include Highland Park, Talisker, Caol Ila and a couple others if someone is looking at this for the smoky, peatiness and not just South Islay malts.

Looking back over my comments I realize I may have come off as critical. Let me make it clear that all of the above are GREAT bottles and worthy of at least a try and I highly recommend them all. It's hard to critisize something when it's all good. :wink:
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:08 pm

My choice would be as follows:

1. Lagavulin Distillers Edition
For me this captures Islay in a glass and it will always remind me of my first visit there. The smell of peat as the ferry from Kennacraig passed one distillery after the other. The whisky itself is complex, sweet, smoky with tons of peat and it scores extra points for its rich, salty and burnt aftertaste.

2. Other - Ardbeg 1975
One of the best Ardbegs I've had. Unfortunately there's not much left in my bottle and to replace it today probably costs a small fortune. The 1975 has a peaty and smoky nose, yet rounded. The taste is peppery, salty with a touch of lemon. A classic!!

3. Laphroaig 10y. Cask Strength
I prefer this to the 15y. although the 15y. may seem a bit more complex and rounded. I like the aggressive and tarred nose, it's seaweedy and salty taste and the medicinal and peaty finish.

4. Lagavulin 16y.
The ultimate standard dram. The one that always gets in my glass when I don't know what to choose. Peat and smoke on the nose, more peat and seaweed on the palate and a wonderful and warming finish.

5. Ardbeg 10y.
Because it hits you like a hammer!!!

Of course I would prefer NOT to choose among the whiskies in this poll.
I use to have most of the expressions at home and try to vary the drink to the occasion. But I think the list above represent my choice for the ultimate Islay.

Cheers!

Postby Simplicio » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:42 am

I voted for Laphroaig QC; As far as peat goes, I think they are all at somewhat similar levels, but it is the other characteristics of Laphroaig that appeal to me as well - the gooseberry or dried apricot sweetness, the iodine and the tar. You don't get quite as much of those in the other Kildaltons. And the QC, because unlike the cask strength it can be drunk without having to add water.
Simplicio

Postby Scotchio » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:07 pm

Great notes chaps, thanks. I haven't tried the Laphroaig 15 yet and it is interesting that Murray gave it a poor review. The girl at my local Oddbins rates it very highly so perhaps that will be my next Laphroaig.I'd agree that ardbeg 17 has a peating level nearer to that of Bowmore but i loved the original bottlings,really beautifully balanced. I've also had a couple of the old Ardbeg maltings bottles. I enjoyed the 1977, quite a sweet Ardbeg not dissimilar in style to the 10 yr at the time but fuller and more complex. The disillery bottled 1975 25yr old was incredibly peaty and although very interesting I thought the 10 was better balanced and easier drinking
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:00 am

Something about a bourbon cask finish on a heavily peated whisky, the two seem to intensify each other. Rather suprised at no mention of Caol Ila CS yet alas only some OB's are real crackers. I have always thought of their off OB's quite good.
The Laga' 12CS got my vote here, 'cause i got a soft spot for the sherry peat and smoke together.
No iodine thankyou! :wink:
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Badmonkey » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:03 am

I voted for the Laphroaig 10 partly out of a love for the flavour, and in large part due to competitive pricing. We can't buy in Alberta yet, but where I've seen it on the shelves the price has been very reasonable. Drinking the 10 CS is like chewing on a spiced block of seaweed.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:24 am

My vote went to 'Other Ardbegs', with bottlings like Ardbeg 1977, Lord of the Isles, Ardbeg Provenance and Ardbeg The Ardbeggeddon - how could I vote otherwise?

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:20 pm

I had to vote for other Ardbeg's. If it's peat you want and not alot of complexity the Ardbeg Very Young is the ticket. The first time I nosed this it was like I took a wiff of my clothes after sitting next to a camp fire. It was pure smoke and the taste wasn't that far off either. The complexity isn't that high because of the intense smoke but then again the question was which malt would you suggest for a peat fix. If this is the direction the new 10 yr old is going then it will be a great dram

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder