Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

green spot ...Irish...bourbon???

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

green spot ...Irish...bourbon???

Postby smokey » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:51 pm

So the Green Spot went on sale and I'd been wanting to try it. This is my first attempt at posting tasting notes, so cut me some slack you guys.

Ok. My first impression was that it reminded me of Evan Williams 12 with smoke. There is the same sweet smell of bourbon, and the taste was similar but in addition to the smoke there were undertones of...menthol? mint? It also has an oily finish.

I admit on my initial taste, I was a little surprised at the sweetness, but after having a few drinks, I think this is a fine whiskey, but it will take me a little while to get to "know it".

In addition, I think it will open up bourbon for me too. I liked the Evan Williams 12, but it was not what I was expecting. I must admit that I prefer whisky to whiskey and bourbon but I'm trying to expand my horizons. I think this might be the perfect bridge.

I was wondering if anyone else thought that Green Spot has more in common with bourbon than whisky?

Ok. Cheers you guys.
smokey

Postby bamber » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:57 pm

I agree it makes one think of bourbon more than Scotch. Personally, I find more in common with American rye - or at least heavily rye influenced bourbons.

I think Green Spot is a great whisky and is one of my current favourites. Your description is pretty much what I and most people get from it : honeyed sweetness, with menthol freshness and pot still.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:14 pm

Hi there,

here a little something on Green Spot.

http://www.mitchellandson.com/history_gs.html#10

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:07 pm

Yep, everyone seems to get the menthol from it. It's aged about 8 years, and its youth really suits its style. I would not detect smoke in the taste myself, but...

I've tasted the Greenspot 10 and 12, and they're both very good, but not worth the price. The standard Greenspot might be the best of the three.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:24 pm

To be quite honest I do not have enough Bourbon under my belt to make a definitive comparison but from the American bottles I have tried I can't get any correlation. But then again I have had so many different Irish whiskey types that I would split hairs between them all. SO I would have to say chalk and cheese here but you can only taste what you taste and that is the main thing really.

I suppose having grown up with irish whiskey I get the difference immediately. A further reason for thinking that they are not as close as you may think is casking. Most bourbon (if not all) is aged in New Casks where as Greenspot is heavily influenced by sherry casks.

Greenspot has great wafts of honey on the nose which I have never really got from a bourbon and the sherry I think is quite evident on the taste buds too along with some lovely toffee and more honey. I agree there is a slight touch of menthol and there is a nice zing through it but that is softened out by the end however I am slightly surprised by the smoke as I do not think there is any there at all maybe it's the sharp copper taste that some people sometimes really get??? Finally the oily feel is a charachter of all Potstills, which is one of the things I love about it. It might be an idea to taste it against a regular Jameson.

Bourbon I feel is more spicy and the wood is more evident (well the ones I have had anyway). However it would not surprise me if some of the potstill was being aged in Bourbon barrells and maybe you are picking up on that.

I've even heard some person liken it to the Welsh offering of Penderyn but this to me is blasphemy :wink: I actually find Penderyn a bit sickly syurpy sweet, but that is just me.

Regardless, I hope that you enjoy the bottle no matter what you think it is like.
This was one of Irelands best kept secrets which is now slowly but surely seeping out to the masses. Enjoy 8)
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder