Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Visiting Prague

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Visiting Prague

Postby Scotty Mc » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:57 pm

I'm off to Prague on Wednesday for one week. I will be enjoying all that Czech beer has to offer, however I'd still if possible, like a wee dram or two (or three, or for.......... :lol: )

Has anyone come across any decent pubs/bars that sell single malts, or even shops?
Also what is Prague's duty-free like?

Cheers
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:32 pm

Why don't you do a search in the little white box to the left of this screen? WM did an article a few issues ago on the whisky scene in Prague so that should be a good staritng point.

Let us know what it's like there please.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Scotty Mc » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:35 pm

I apologise! I done a search within the forums but forgot about the site overall! :D

I tried but couldn't find a link. Maybe someone could guide me to it please?
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:51 pm

Scotty, I did a quick search and the article is in issue 50 but the WM site only has highlights of the article and not the whole thing. If you don't have Issue 50 let me know and I dig it out of the box and let you know the best shops and bars, according to WM.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Scotty Mc » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:53 pm

Thanks Lawrence! I don't have that magazine, would you be able to do the honours please?! 8)
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:30 pm

Kratochvilovci Whisky Shop-Tynska 15

Bar and Books-Tynska 19-whisky flights

Dynamo-Pstrossova 29-restaurant with 80 single malts.

Kavarna Vekryba-Opativicka 24-pub with a good selection

Let us know how it goes......
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby SpiritofShetland » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:58 pm

Bugsy's Bar (close to the old town square is mainly a cocktail-bar, but on my visit a couple of years ago they also had a good selection of malts.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Jan » Fri May 04, 2007 10:55 pm

Hi All

Yesterday I returned from our Prague trip and I thougth I would post a short report here, rather than make a new thread.

In general I found that while Prague is not a “whisky city”, you can find selections of malt in several of the tourist oriented liquor shops in the center – typically 10-40 different bottlings and typically centered around the classic malts, with some Glenfiddichs, Macallans, and various others thrown in. And of course JW is everywhere. Prices are generally not attractive though – not even compared with the relatively high Danish prices I’m used to.

You can find single malts at some bars, but most tourist joints carry only lowend blends. If you find you self thirsty for a dram around Wenclas Square, there is a bar around a corner, where you’ll find the Classic Malts range and a couple more. I can’t remember the name, but you’ll find it here: (X marks the spot)

This was not a whisky trip as we were there with my inlaws, but I did manage to sneak away a couple of times to visit Kratochvilovci and Bar & Books.

Kratochvilovci:
This shop had a nice selection, but again prices were not really attractive.
To my disappointment the shop turned out to be rather small, with cases of whisky stacked everywhere, making it impossible to move around and to get close enough to the shelves to read the prices printede there.

It was not really inviting, :( so I just purchased the Redbreast 15 I had decided on beforehand, along couple of minis; a Blackadder Peatreek and a tinbox containing minis of Ardbeg 10 & 17.

A few pics from the shop:

I visited the shop on a monday afternoon around 4pm and while Bar & Books indeed were to be found just a few doors down the street, it were not open yet.

Around the corner I found a “international” bar, offering a few bourbons and the 12-18 ‘fiddich range. Here I had a Woodford Reserve (not that exciting) and a Glenfiddich 15yo (hit the spot) along with a Gambrinus lager.

As usual in Prague, I could look at some interesting buildings while enjoying my dram:

Bar & Books
On Wednesday evening I persuaded my girlfriend to a short visit to Bar & Books on our way back to the hotel.

This bar turned out to be an intimate upscale bar with walls in dark red and wood and only lighted by candles. I loved the atmosphere – a great place to end a day with a relaxing dram.

When we sat down at one of the tables, the cute waitress placed no less than three different drinks/wine/spirit menus on our table. From the whisky menu I chose a UCF Clynelish 1992, which were reasonable priced (A lot of the other drams were quite steep.)

My dram were served in a very stylish fashion, on a tray with a small jug of water and a ice bucket…. And the dram in a tumbler. :o Oh well – I should’nt be surprised, I guess.

But a great atmosphere – go there for the experience.

You will find both Kratochvilovci and Bar & Books at a street called Tynská. The easiest way, is to go in to the passage at the left side of Tyn Church and take a left turn when you reach the back of the church. (For Fat Boys Bar go to the end of Tynská and turn left – you’ll find it after a few meters.)

Airport:
You can find whisky at the airport – there is a few shops with a limited selection. Don’t necessarily buy at the first shop after security (which I did) – you will find another shop on your way to the gates with a different selection (Ardbeg 10, lap10, Balvenie and others) and all malts seems priced a little lower.

I purchased a Caol Ila 18 @ Czk1199 (£29) and an Old Pulteney 12 (1L) at Czk989 (£24)
(This was not dutyfree.)

By the way: It seems Wendy is wanted in Prague for something: I spotted this in a window and immediately recognized her from the picture MR TH posted a few months back:

:lol:
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat May 05, 2007 2:02 am

I walked into Bar and Books on a Tuesday night and it was coincidentally whisky night! And I did all my shopping with Kratochvilovci, and recommend it. You may have to hunt for the better prices, but the range is good, too bad the shop is a bit small and cramped. But look closer at Jan's first foto of the shop, those open bottles there are for tasting! And Michal even opened up a Rosebank insisting I taste it, a favorite of his!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat May 05, 2007 8:48 am

Nice pictures Jan - and good travel report too! Prague looks like a nice place to visit and I cannot wait to go there in July! I'll visit the Kratochvilovci shop too and due to the norwegian prices I'm used to I'm sure I'll find a few bargains. How's the food in Prague?
Mr Fjeld

Postby les taylor » Sat May 05, 2007 9:52 am

Jan excellent travel diary. Your photos capture the flavour of the place and the weather looked really good. Thanks.

:)
les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Sat May 05, 2007 4:47 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Nice pictures Jan - and good travel report too! Prague looks like a nice place to visit and I cannot wait to go there in July! I'll visit the Kratochvilovci shop too and due to the norwegian prices I'm used to I'm sure I'll find a few bargains. How's the food in Prague?

Hei Mr Fjeld! Enjoying the sun???
Food in Prague is good if you go the right places. We honestly didn't eat much local food, so hard to judge that. But the food we did find good were in the nicer restaurants, and I don't mean suit and tie, but rather than the corner cafes. Check out Divinis, just down the street from Kratochvilovci's shop and Bar and Books.
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat May 05, 2007 5:47 pm

Di Blasi wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:Nice pictures Jan - and good travel report too! Prague looks like a nice place to visit and I cannot wait to go there in July! I'll visit the Kratochvilovci shop too and due to the norwegian prices I'm used to I'm sure I'll find a few bargains. How's the food in Prague?

Food in Prague is good if you go the right places. We honestly didn't eat much local food, so hard to judge that. But the food we did find good were in the nicer restaurants, and I don't mean suit and tie, but rather than the corner cafes. Check out Divinis, just down the street from Kratochvilovci's shop and Bar and Books.

Thanks for the tip Jonathan - I'll check out Divinis :thumbsup:
Mr Fjeld

Postby Di Blasi » Sat May 05, 2007 6:45 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:

Thanks for the tip Jonathan - I'll check out Divinis :thumbsup:

You'll find them online, but don't confuse it with the original one in Bologna, Italy.
Di Blasi

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder