Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New: Micheal Collins Whiskey

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

New: Micheal Collins Whiskey

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:43 pm

Micheal Collins Irish Whiskey has been launched state side. Unfortunately (or fortunately :wink: ) it is not available in Ireland or Europe as far as I'm aware. The new make is being released both as a blend and a as single malt. Anybody bump into it yet over there ???? Would be very interested to see has anybody tried it and what they make of it?

I fear it may be a marketing gimmick with no substance comming up to Paddies Day and would probably go down like a lead balloon over here.

Possible collectors item many years from now...
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:29 pm

I think I'll settle for som Feckin' Whiskey instead:
Homepage
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:44 pm

The Feckin' Whiskey is a pretty cheap blend. The marketing behind the Michael Collins whiskey says it's the first ultra-premium Irish whiskey, which, of course, is rubbish. Not only because it's not ultra-premium, but there has been lots of ultra-premium whiskey released previously. I think the malt is an 8 yr old.

It will be available in Ireland, anyway, but I'm not sure when it's being released.

The family of Michael Collins is not too happy wiht the naming of the whiskey.
Aidan

Talk about marketing!

Postby rymon » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:58 am

It seems that it is a Cooley whiskey, they're known for supplying all sorts of private labelled whiskies. There is an interesting article here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-1827393,00.html

They have Connemarra out, which I really like, and I've heard good things about Tyrconnel, so maybe it will be ok?
rymon

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:55 pm

Looks like the Irish are back :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Iain » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:26 pm

At the risk of straying off-topic, someone was inquiring recently about the Irish proverb in I's signature.

My part-Irish mother used to swear by butter as a soothing dressing for burns. And whisk(e)y can act as a disinfectant? So maybe that's where the saying comes from? Feel free to let me know if I'm talking nonsense (I'll blame my mother).

And of course I'm not suggesting Irish whiskey is fit only for use as a disinfectant!
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:24 pm

Good theory, Iain! As for talking nonsense, that's a prerequisite here. Or at least, I always thought it was....
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:23 pm

Sounds about right Iain but I would imagine that there was other uses for the butter too but have no idea what??? Because Whiskey in small doses was also used to cure hiccups, croup, toothache etc in children. It as you say was used as a disinfectant for cuts, rubbed into arthritic joints, used for colds & flu and the list goes on and on.....
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby MGillespie » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:36 pm

OK, gang...big interview on this one in Episode 28 (the St. Patrick's Day edition) of WhiskyCast. Michael Collins is produced at Cooley in a venture with Sidney Frank importers (the guy who started Grey Goose vodka), and the interview covers the entire genesis of this whiskey, as well as the minor controversy over using the Michael Collins name...

Right now, all production is being sent to the States, but Cooley has agreed with Sidney Frank to start distributing it in Ireland...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder