Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Campbeltown virgin seeks advice !

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Campbeltown virgin seeks advice !

Postby Scotchio » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:33 pm

Have been sitting on a Springbank 21 bottled c2000 for 5yrs now waiting for an impressive regular springbank to sample as a starting point but to no avail.I am considering cashing in the Springbank and putting the proceeds to a few other bottles including a reasonably priced Murray McDavid Springbank 9yr old finished in Marsanne. Not normally my kind of thing but a proprieter put the word awesome ! after the listing which naturally piqued my curiosity.Also considering a Glen Scotia but not sure which.
So is the old 21 really worth the £140 it now goes for ? Has anyone tried the MM Marsanne finish or heard anything about it? Is the also unopened bottle of Campbeltown Loch 21 sitting in the cupboard anything like the single malt Springbank? Is there an exceptional sensibly priced Glen Scotia that would make a better starting point than the regular Springbank's
Your opinions please.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:47 pm

I bought a Springbank 21 in 1996 - dumpy bottle with a silver wax seal on the shoulder of the bottle. Long since finished, you understand. The whisky was magical - rich, deep, fruitcake but with some peat/salt notes, smooth as silk but eternally complex. From memory, it cost around £60 then, and it is currently on sale at The Whisky Exchange for £299. I'm not sure I would ever drink a whisky that cost £299, but for the £60 I paid, it was a bargain. I have a bottle of Springbank 15 in the house that I got about 3 years ago - unopened although I have tried a similar bottle in a bar that was also gorgeous stuff, but not in the same league as the 21. However, I have had disappointing Springbank 10s, and the older ones are supposed to be a bit hit and miss.
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:59 pm

Interesting Nick, mine's in a tall bottle and judging by the colour contains a fair amount of sherry cask stuff. Was there any dip in quality I wonder. I know the most recent batch was generally regarded as a lesser bottling even though it sold for c£150.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:33 pm

Drink it!! :D

I have just finished a bottle of Springbank 21, like the tall one you have Scotchio. I bought a couple of bottles in 2001 at only £59.00. I still have one unopened which is definitely going to be drunk in the near future.
I don't know what you've paid for it, but if you bought it 5 years ago it should've been approx. £60.00, and for that price...drink it - no matter what you'll be paid if you sell it.
It's considered a classic, one of the ultimate Springbanks. It's got a fantastic sea-air nose, the colour is medium dark oak. The taste is salty with fruit and hints of coconut, a little toffeeish.
If you want to consider another Springbank I would recommend the 175th Anniversary bottling which can still be found at some online shops or the 10year old, 100 Proof. The latter is one of the better Springbanks bottled nowadays. It's sweet with a touch of honey, demerara sugar and vanilla.
The 15y. is also okay but not by any means near the 21y. you have in possession.

You'll regret it if you don't drink it... :(

Cheers

Postby Scotchio » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:45 pm

I think it was £45, just wish I could have bought more. Tight times, we'd just had our 3rd child. I guess if there was a great Springer available now for £45 I'd be in like Flynn. I do wonder about that MM bottling though.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:53 pm

Looked a little more closely at the shop selling the MM. They comment that 'it is a joy and the wine cask really comes through'Not sure I like the sound of that too much or would Marsanne work well with young Springbank. Isn't Marsanne kind of soft and spicy? Apparently very limited availability and part of a set of wine cask finished MMs including some Laphroaigs which the owner claims have not been 'tea spooned' whatever that means.
They obviously have confidence in the product as they are offering them for tastings and have apparently secured 6 cases of the Springer which is half the UK application.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:36 pm

In case you just want a single introduction to Springbank, go for the 10year old 100 Proof. I found the following at the Loch Fyne Whiskies website. It may help you to decide. :D

"That's more like it! An Ace! Loch Fyne Whiskies Bottling of the Year 2004!

Powerfully sweet with a hint of peat, this is a good medium-weight Springbank (not like the sherried monster that was the old 100 Proof), there's a growing fruitiness, especially pears.

The swallow has smoke, and, something very unusual that I'd describe as an explosive after-finish!"

And it's reasonably priced too, at £33.00.

I am a little sceptic to the MM Marsanne finished Springbank. The wine finished whiskies I have tasted have been everything but good. :(

Cheers

Postby Jan » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:20 pm

I have not taste the young springbanks, but can warmly recommend the 15yo - a very good whisky in my opinion - and one that certainly will find its way back to my cupboard one day...

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Re: Campbeltown virgin seeks advice !

Postby Frodo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:16 am

Scotchio wrote:So is the old 21 really worth the £140 it now goes for ?...Is there an exceptional sensibly priced Glen Scotia that would make a better starting point than the regular Springbank's
Your opinions please.

1) I've had the Springbank 21 OB and I was stunned! Subtle malt, but complex. Is it worth the 140 GBP? On the couple drams I've had, I'd have to say...almost! If you accept that Springbank is more expensive, then I'd say yes - it's worth it. Going just on the flavours in the bottle, I'd say...no. But then, I won't spend $1 when half that will do. I won't deny Springbank 21 was a contender for my top 5, but that's a wack of $$$.

2) I haven't heard of many people raving about Glen Scotia. I've had a bottling (Signatory - 10 or 12yr) that did not leave me enthused. Not much experiance apart from this.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:39 am

I've been waiting for someone to point out the obvious fact that there are no virgins in Campbeltown.
Deactivated Member

Glen Scotia!

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:42 am

Hey Scotchio! I highly recommend the Glen Scotia 14 years old, excellent! I got it on recommendation from Jim Murray's The Whisky Bible, and loved it! It's affordable too. And a screw cap! He also suggests a 30 year old Chieftain's bottling I'd love to get my hands on, especially since Iain Weir of Ian Macleod highly recommended it to me as well! Springbank, well, a great reputation, expensive, and are they worth it?
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder