Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glen Ord 30yo

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Glen Ord

Glen Ord 30yo

Postby Choochoo » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:00 pm

Hello, I’m first time poster who’s very much enjoyed reading through this forum for the past couple months, now writing for advice/recommendation.

I have my eye on a 30yo Glen Ord costing around $200 at a shop down the street from me. I recently saw a good review of this bottle on the whiskyfun website. However, for that same $200 I could buy 3 of the 4 bottles listed below:

Tallisker 175th – 60$
Glen Scotia 14 – 45$
Either the 28yo Dalmore (Stillmans Dram) or a 25yo Highland Park (Scott’s Selection) - each going for about $100

My rational side says to buy the three bottles, but I have a strange temptation to go solely with the 30yo Glen Ord. So, any thoughts on Glen Ord (a brand I have yet to sample) or advice on the decision at hand would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:23 pm

Those are good choices in place of the Glen Ord but I'd also like to try the Glen Ord. Why not buy the Glen Ord now and buy the other 3 later??

This won't be you very last whisky purchase will it???

By the way welcome to the forum, you see how the madness starts? :D You ask a simple question and some body says buy them all!!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Choochoo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:31 am

"By the way welcome to the forum, you see how the madness starts? You ask a simple question and some body says buy them all!!"

Thanks for the welcome, and that's the kind of advice I like to hear! Actually, being of little will power, I bought the Glen Ord on my way home from work tonight.

Sampling my first glass right now - The nose has a spiced fruit quality to it, apples & pears, some peat as well, it takes a little while to open up. A very nice salty taste that gets sweeter and leads to a big finish, good dose of smoke in the finish. The 58.7%abv gives the whole thing some real power, but it’s still quite refined. Subtle woodiness, especially for a 30 years old. If someone told me this is a cask strength older/mid-age vatting of Highland Park and Cragganmore I’d believe them.

I give this a thumbs up, glad I bought it. It’s an older, higher strength bottle that offers an alternative & stands up to the big boys of smoke or sherry.

Now I need to cool it for a couple weeks, let my bank account recover, & then go buy the Glen Scotia!
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:16 am

Now I need to cool it for a couple weeks, let my bank account recover, & then go buy the Glen Scotia!

That's the spirit!

:D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby kallaskander » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:10 am

Hi there,

congratulations on the lack of willpower :wink: and a wise decision to buy the Glen Ord. I have not tried an Ord of such an age yet but I like the Ord or Ordie as the independent bottlers call him very much. Glen Ord IMO is one oft those underestimated distilleries from the Northern Highlands that quietly churn out wonderful malts which often have a wonderful dry accent in the finish. Some other names here are Royal Brackla, Clynelish and her closed sister Brora (often peated but not always) Old Pulteney closed Glen Mhor, Glen Albyn and Millburn.
And of course welcome to the forum.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby parvus » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:16 am

30 yo Glen Ord, enjoy; that's quite an entrance. Welcome.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Choochoo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:45 pm

Thanks to all for the welcome & for supporting the decision to buy the Ord. It’s always good to know that $200 wasn’t spent on a “dog”.

I’ll keep the Ordie in mind if coming across one in the future while on a shopping hunt for independent bottler bottles.

Also this Glen Ord has the fanciest packaging I’ve ever seen. No cylindrical tube here, It comes in a big brown shoe-box with understated labeling (very nice). Leather cloth inside, which is pulled back to reveal a smallish rectangular bottle tucked into a little holding space. Pulling the bottle out, there is a mirrored background, good gosh it’s like the holiday season unwrapping this thing. Looks like they pulled out all the stops when designing the packaging of this release.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:18 pm

Hi there,

seems the went a long way to make the bottle and package a good value for money.

Enjoy.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Tom » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:24 pm

Heh, seems a bit late as usual, but I would have recommended to buy the Glen Ord 30 too. Sampled this a few weeks back and it was mindblowing. Incredible bourbon influence and very crisp for its age. Offcourse I had to do with 3 cl, and an additional 5Cl I took home with me while you have an entire bottle... Good choice, and I envy you :wink:
Tom
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Glen Ord

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder