Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Opened bottles that get better

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Opened bottles that get better

Postby Scotty Mc » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:12 pm

I haven't had a dram for at least two weeks and decided to revisit the Glenfiddich 12yo. I'm not too fond of a freshly opened bottle but after leaving this particular bottle for around two months, the taste has mellowed with more accent of pear. To me it is a more enjoyable dram and opens-up for more flavours to come through.

Has anyone noticed this with other bottlings, particularly if the bottle is 3/4 full?
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:09 pm

Yes, frequently. Some bottles just seem to mellow after having been opened. I read in a long past WM issue about the Speyside Way in Tokyo that the bar manger opens all the single malt bottles, reseals them and then leaves them for about 6 months before offering them for sale.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Aidan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:27 am

I think my Elijah Craig 12 improved after being opened for a while. The last few pours from the bottle were especially good.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:47 am

Hi there,

after opening a fresh bottle especially of a whisky that is new to me I pour myself the first dram. Then I let the bottle rest for about 10 days and come back again to it. It is rare that the first dram is the best and many bottles are even better after a month or half a year. Some do not improve IMO alas.
Greeting
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:46 pm

My problem with open bottles is that they empty :wink:

But seriously I too reckon that the whiskey usually inproves are being open for a while. The only one that I noticed that went the other way was a Japanesse whiskey Nikka Black but in saying that it did not ruin the whiskey.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:47 pm

It's about finding the right balance. Whisky does seem to benefit from a little "breathing" but as the bottle empties so does the zing. Some seem to deteriorate quicker than others though I think the older expersions tend to hang on a little longer before turning.

I'm coming round to the idea of smaller bottles - more open at the same time. :D
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder