Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Springbank Rum Finish?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Springbank Rum Finish?

Postby Sherried Malt » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:47 pm

After seeing Crieftan's post on his recent Glenmorangie Rum Finish purchase, I was wondering if anyone's tried the Springbank version.

Of Springbank's Port, Bourbon and Rum finishes, I hear that the Rum was the best of the bunch. So far, I haven't been able to find a bottle and see for myself... :(

For my money, the Springbank Bourbon is way too hot and is one of the few SMs that I'll add a splash of water too. Settles down nicely after that and opens up on the nose. However, I find that you have to be careful in how much water you add, just a little too much and the whisky drops off a very sharp cliff...

On the other hand, the Port version is quite nice by itself and does not overpower... That said, I don't know that either would be my choice as a daily drinker; they're more interesting as a change of pace...
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby lucabeer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:34 pm

I am not very fond of the Rum finished Springbank (at least the latest bottling, from 2004 if i remember correctly). Nothing too exciting about it, although certainly not bad. Just a bit above average, I'd say.

Certainly not as sweet as the Port version (of which I am not fond either, anyway).
lucabeer

Postby Lawrence » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:46 pm

Are the Springbank wood expressions not fully matured in what ever ex wine cask is used? I understand they are not 'finishes' but 'wood expressions' having spent their entire life in a single cask type, I read this on the Springbank website a while ago, of course they could have changed the policy.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby karlejnar » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:27 pm

Lawrence wrote:Are the Springbank wood expressions not fully matured in what ever ex wine cask is used? I understand they are not 'finishes' but 'wood expressions' having spent their entire life in a single cask type, I read this on the Springbank website a while ago, of course they could have changed the policy.

Well it depends on which one we're talking about. And I wouldn't call them "finishes" either as they spent a considerable time in cask no. 2.
All except "Bourbon Wood" 12yo which has spent all the time in bourbon hogshead/barrels
The "Port Wood" 14yo was 12 years in refill sherry and then 2 years in fresh port pipes
(the 13yo was 1½ years in port pipes, don't know the original cask type)
The "Rum Wood" 12yo was 7 years in bourbon and 5 years :shock: in Demerara Rum casks

Normally I don't fancy finished malts, but these wood expressions are surely something else. Very good all :P

Another great one I recently had was an Auchentoshan 17yo, which was only 8 years in bourbon but 9 years :shock: in Saint-Julien redwine casks. What a great balance between wine and malt :P
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:38 pm

Thanks for clearing up the subject,

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Re: Springbank Rum Finish?

Postby karlejnar » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:48 pm

Sherried Malt wrote:Of Springbank's Port, Bourbon and Rum finishes, I hear that the Rum was the best of the bunch. So far, I haven't been able to find a bottle and see for myself... :(

For my money, the Springbank Bourbon is way too hot and is one of the few SMs that I'll add a splash of water too. Settles down nicely after that and opens up on the nose. However, I find that you have to be careful in how much water you add, just a little too much and the whisky drops off a very sharp cliff...

On the other hand, the Port version is quite nice by itself and does not overpower... That said, I don't know that either would be my choice as a daily drinker; they're more interesting as a change of pace...

The "Rum Wood" is very nice indeed - a nice balance without the malt nor the rum overpowering the dram. But I personally prefer the "Port Wood" 14yo.
I recently emptied a "Bourbon Wood" and I must agree with you, it could be a bit of a beast taken neat, and in need of a "half drop" of water. If it is too overpowering I can recommend the 10yo "100 Proof" - a great everyday dram :P (It's not easy to "go down" to the standard 10yo after that.)
BTW the "100 Proof" has a tiny amount of sherry casks thrown in the vatting, maybe that is why it's a bit less "hot".

(Can't wait till I get my hands on the new Longrow "100 Proof" - but that's another great story to follow)
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby karlejnar » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:55 pm

Lawrence wrote:Thanks for clearing up the subject,

Lawrence

You're welcome :D

That's the great thing of keeping the "menu" from past tastings among good friends.
(We have a small private "club" of 10-11 people having shared tastings every second month or so. Each person brings 2(or 3 sometimes) malts within a chosen subject. We only have 1cl of each malt I hasten to point out, otherwise it would go "too crazy too soon" :wink: )
karlejnar
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder