Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Knappogue Castle 1994 Vintage Irish Whiskey

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Knappogue Castle 1994 Vintage Irish Whiskey

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:26 pm

I had a chance to try Knappogue Castle 1993 vintage this weekend at a tasting and I liked it. I noticed that Jim Murray scores the 1994 vintage 95 points and I am interested in your thoughts of this single malt.

Scott
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:13 am

Well, when I try it at the Summerhill TT, I'll let you know...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:59 am

He marks it that hight because he was involved in selecting the whiskey for vatting. It's pretty nice, but that's about it, in my opinion, of course.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:05 pm

Very fresh and clean Bushmills malt. Better than Bushmills standard OB's IMO, but you've got to like the Bushmills flavour profile to enjoy it IMO.

If you're a fan of Bushmills single malts I would run out and get it. Otherwise don't bother.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:33 pm

Jim Murray has a major imput in the blending of these Knappogue expressions but I fine them rather light also. Bushmills have created the last 3 runs. 1993 version the 1994 version and the second 1994 release (but there is no inference on the label to this effect) So basically you could have 2 1994 expressions which are slightly different. I presume this was because there was no or limited stock available for a 1995 release. 2006 now so I wonder will they have a 1996 version???? Keep the eyes peeled folks :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:12 pm

Hi Adrian

I don't think the versions came out year-by-year, so I still expect that there will be a 1995 version. They're probably waiting for Jim Murray to return from his holidays... I wonder will the change in ownership of Bushmills affect the brand?
Aidan

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:01 pm

Aidan wrote:He marks it that hight because he was involved in selecting the whiskey for vatting. It's pretty nice, but that's about it, in my opinion, of course.

I was aware of his involvement with this whiskey. I hope that didn't have anything to do with the high score. If it did he would lose a lot of credibility with me.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:41 pm

VG, don't you think that, if JM was involved in the vatting, he would do his best to make the best whiskey possible? Of course he gives it a high score. He made it the way he likes it! Seems perfectly natural to me--it would be pretty strange otherwise. I would only wish that in such instances he (or anyone else in similar position) would make full disclosure every single time he as much as mentions the product. (Not having the Bible close at hand, I don't know if he does or not.)
Deactivated Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:59 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:VG, don't you think that, if JM was involved in the vatting, he would do his best to make the best whiskey possible? Of course he gives it a high score. He made it the way he likes it! Seems perfectly natural to me--it would be pretty strange otherwise. I would only wish that in such instances he (or anyone else in similar position) would make full disclosure every single time he as much as mentions the product. (Not having the Bible close at hand, I don't know if he does or not.)

I don't have his Bible in front of me but I believe he does disclose that he took part in making this whiskey.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:04 am

Yes, he does say he was involved with this one in the whisky bible. . And I've said exactly that before, ie he would naturally like something he chose himself. I don't know anyone else who would rate this whiskey so highly, though.

It is a nice dram, all the same.
Aidan

Re: Knappogue Castle 1994 Vintage Irish Whiskey

Postby alebuff » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:59 am

....they were giving away free tasters of the 1994 at Cork airport yesterday !!!
alebuff

Re:

Postby Aidan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:28 am

Aidan wrote:Yes, he does say he was involved with this one in the whisky bible. . And I've said exactly that before, ie he would naturally like something he chose himself. I don't know anyone else who would rate this whiskey so highly, though.

And I've noticed I said "dram"...

What did you make of it, alebuff?
Aidan

Postby cathach » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:22 am

This might sound it a bit odd, but I found the oak influence that caused JM to mark down the 1994(2nd) quite enjoyable. It's almost like a dry white wne of a whiskey, really crisp and sharp citrus.
cathach
Silver Member

Re: Re:

Postby IainB » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:03 pm

Aidan wrote:
Aidan wrote:Yes, he does say he was involved with this one in the whisky bible. . And I've said exactly that before, ie he would naturally like something he chose himself. I don't know anyone else who would rate this whiskey so highly, though.

And I've noticed I said "dram"...

What did you make of it, alebuff?

I noticed that too!
IainB
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:48 pm

I was just about to say almost exactl what I said 2 years ago !
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby michael Foggarty » Mon May 05, 2008 3:24 pm

you should give the 1995 a try far better than the 1994, it is 12 years old bushmills, not often you get to see that.
michael Foggarty

Postby Aidan » Tue May 06, 2008 10:32 pm

That's true. Is one of those irishman whiskies a 12 year old Bushmills? How old is the Brogan's?
Aidan

Postby michael Foggarty » Wed May 07, 2008 3:35 pm

From what im told The Irishman single malt is actually a Midleton Single Malt. Yes it says "blessed by the Waters of St Colums Rill" Bushmills water source, but thats could mean they just use the water to bring the strenght down when they bottle it at Bushmills bottling plant, which had tripled in size under IDL before they sold Bushmills to Diageo, so Bushmills can run a bottling business at present due to the enormous capacity. How long this will go on for is unknown because Bushmills are massively uping production and and are currenty building new 22,000 cask wearhouses at a rate of 1 per year and are about to add another still.
There is no age statement on the bottle so i would asume it is quite young. However it doesnt remind me(thank god!) of the last Midleton Malt Erin Go Brath (6 years old).

Brogan's is a 10 year old, although there is no "10" on the label it has "for a decade aged". It is one of my favourite independent Irish whiskeys.
michael Foggarty

Postby Aidan » Wed May 07, 2008 4:33 pm

Very interesting. I thought the Erin Go Bragh was inoffencive, but not great. I still have a bottle.

Do they put Midleton malt or Bushmills malt in Powers? I know there is a deal between the distilleries.
Aidan

Postby Aidan » Wed May 07, 2008 4:55 pm

By Powers, I mean Paddy...
Aidan

Postby michael Foggarty » Wed May 07, 2008 5:36 pm

Not to sure, but im bound to come across the answers in my research, im hoping to head down to Midleton in the next few weeks.
michael Foggarty

Postby IainB » Thu May 08, 2008 12:39 pm

If you go to the Irishman website it says that the Malt whiskey is made in Bushmills. Here's the link:

http://www.hotirishman.com/The-Irishman-Single-Malt-15.htm

I only looked at this yesterday as I was very excited to think it might be from Midleton but thought, for once, I'd do some research before impulse buying.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Thu May 08, 2008 12:40 pm

Aidan wrote:By Powers, I mean Paddy...

Maybe you were thinking of Paddy Power - are you a gambling man?
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu May 08, 2008 12:45 pm

It's not a gamble when I place a bet. I always lose.
Aidan

Postby michael Foggarty » Thu May 08, 2008 1:05 pm

your right Ian, but when i spoke to their sales rep a few weeks ago he assured me it was Midleton Malt, A call to the right people this morning suggest that the sale rep is a bit of a plonker and maybe got confused with the new 70% blend !
michael Foggarty

Postby DavidH » Thu May 08, 2008 1:19 pm

IainB wrote:If you go to the Irishman website it says that the Malt whiskey is made in Bushmills. Here's the link:

http://www.hotirishman.com/The-Irishman-Single-Malt-15.htm

That has changed in the last week or so then. It did say "Midleton" but I suspect they really meant IDL and the malt actually came from Bushmills when it was under the same umbrella.
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby michael Foggarty » Thu May 08, 2008 1:44 pm

looks like they dont know what their selling, it has been repackaged and no longer claims to be peaty(even though it wasnt !) like i said earlier it doesnt remind me of Midleton Malt but it didnt taste like a Bushmills either (over dose of carmel in this).

For the record anyone wanting to try Erin Go Brath can buy it at the 51 Bar on Haddington Road, D4 Dublin for a measly €5 a shot, okay not worth it for quality but this is a collectors item these days. Midleton Malt also appears in Coole Swan Cream Liqueur - but dont hold me to it, a sales rep told me this !
michael Foggarty

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder