Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which malts in Bruichladdich 3D second edition Moine Mhor

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Which malts in Bruichladdich 3D second edition Moine Mhor

Postby PeatPirate » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:58 am

Hi all,

Does anybody know whisch malts (age?) are in the Bruichladdich 3D second edition Moine Mhor.

What I heard is:

Port Charlotte 3YO
Octomore 3YO
Genuine Bruichladdich 5YO

Greetz PP
PeatPirate

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:16 am

I've just looked at Jim McEwan tasting notes and he starts off by saying:

' . . . 3 different peat levels from 3 diverse cellars over 3 distinct eras provides the attractive peat flavours - with out the medicine. A glimpse of the past, a look at the present and a hint of the future.'

I would take it from the last line that there is some old stock in there, a lot older than 5 years. I did taste some last year, I think that it has a depth that only age can bring. But there is a really good strong belt of peat, which would come from the new, post 2001, stock.

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:18 am

The first edition 3D used:
Port Charlotte 3yo (40ppm)
Peated Bruichladdich 1998 (25ppm) made by Jura folks for keeping the equipment in production condition while mothballed. Rumour has it they used malt destined for Bowmore.
And ordinary unpeated Bruichladdich 1989

I think the Moine Mhor used basicly the same malts but might contain a higher amount of Port Charlotte.
Don't think they used any Octomore

The Infinity uses sherried Bruichladdich and is said to contain af dash of sherried Port Charlotte. Wonder how much a dash is :wink:
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:18 am

Hi there,

there is another possibility.

It does contain Bruichladdich of pre Jim McEwan production, Bruichladdich of the first Jim McEwan production which was peated at about 10 ppm and Port Charlotte which was about 4-5 years old and is peated at 40 ppm. It is what I remember Jim McEwan telling us at a tasting event.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Nock » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:03 am

Man, this is one of those bottles I really should have bought when I had the opportunity. Instead, I opted for a bottle of Ardbeg 17yo. The Ardbeg is nice and all but I much prefer the 10yo. If only I would have bought the Moine Mhor (or the 3D the store had both).

But alas, I am back in Seattle where only the 10, 15, and VII from Bruichladdich are available :cry:

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:07 pm

Too much whisky, too little liver!
Deactivated Member

Postby karlejnar » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:31 am

kallaskander wrote:Hi there,

there is another possibility.

It does contain Bruichladdich of pre Jim McEwan production, Bruichladdich of the first Jim McEwan production which was peated at about 10 ppm and Port Charlotte which was about 4-5 years old and is peated at 40 ppm. It is what I remember Jim McEwan telling us at a tasting event.

Greetings
kallaskander

Well I was just guessing they used same malts as in 3D 1st edition :oops:

But with this info coming from The Man himself that's good enough for me too.
Really looking forward to do a HTH tasting of the two once I get around to open them :D
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:31 am

Hi there,

karljenar, the difference between the Peat Proposal and the Moine Mhor lies in the Port Charlotte.
In the Moine Mhor there is more Port Charlotte and it was one year older than it was in the 3D. Both are non chill filtered, the Moine Mhor has 50% abv. Both malts suggest that the mature Port Charlotte is something to look forward to when it will be bottled as single malt.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby PeatPirate » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:05 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your help.

:)

Greetz PeatPirate
PeatPirate

Postby The Dazzler » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:40 pm

Just a note of confusion: Is the Bruichladdich 3D, ( if indeed containing Bruichladdich, Port Charlotte and Octomore) classed as a single malt? Three different whiskies all from one distillery?? I suppose it has the credentials to be a single malt, although all whiskies individually are very different. I think this should be classed as a SINGLE VATTED MALT, any SWA boffins on the board care to have a shot??

Slainte!
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:59 pm

Hi there,

they both do not contain Octomore. And yes, even if the did they would be a single malt by definition because they contain malt from one distillery only, made with the same equipment but with different peat levels.

I think we have discussed that question before here and I think further they are right in giving these three different peat levels distinct and distinctive names. The question if a vatting of all eight single malts from Loch Lomond Distillery still is a single malt would be the most extreme example. By definition it is a single malt, by the feel of it it is certainly not.
On the other hand is Brora which has changed the level oft peat over the years in each of its expressions created thereby still a Brora everytime? (Compare the Rare Malts Selection 20 years to the RMS 24 years and you see what I mean) Is a variation or deviation of 1-2 pmm from batch to batch a different or the same single malt? Is a vatting of a bourbon cask with a sherry cask of the same malt a single malt? Is only a single cask bottling with its uniqueness a single malt at all?

Let´s not wake the SWA they´ll gona regulate us back to the stone age. :lol:

It is a interesting but academic discussion, definitions do have to draw lines somewhere.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:01 pm

Is the Bruichladdich 3D, (if indeed containing Bruichladdich, Port Charlotte and Octomore) classed as a single malt?

Yes, it is a single malt, regardless of peating level, they are the product of the same distillery and thus a single malt when combined.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder