Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cork Diameter

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Elliot » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:33 pm

I know that it's not an answer to your question, but have you tried a universal bottle stopper? You can typically find them at wine stores. There's a little lever that pushes up on a rubber bladder inside, causing it to shrink vertically and expand horizontally, thereby creating an airtight seal in the bottle.
Elliot
Bronze Member

Postby parvus » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:29 pm

If you're on good terms with your retailer, i'd suggest you go and talk to him about the faulty cork. I'm sure they'd be happy to replace the bottle or cork for you. Either that or they might offer to buy it back off you for a reasonable price to use in shop for samples? It's worth a go, yes?
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:21 am

You could just invite a friend over and drink the entire bottle of Lagavulin. Then you would not have to worry about the cork.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Elliot » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:16 am

C_I wrote:I don't want to put something made out of rubber into that hole..

(Sorry, could not resist..)

But no, the rubber will get attacked by the alcohol and it might deterioate even faster, or the rubber could make the whisky more sulphury.

Will it be attacked by the vapors if the rubber is not in contact with the liquid?
Elliot
Bronze Member

Cork replacement

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:28 pm

C_I wrote:...for a Lagavulin, that would be ok, but what if you have a more exclusive bottle, that you do not want to finish in a night.

C_I: Maybe see if someone on the forum could forward you the proper cork from an empty? Especially for an exclusive bottling. Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder