Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenfarclas 15 vs. Glenfarclas 17?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glenfarclas 15 vs. Glenfarclas 17?

Postby Sherried Malt » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:49 pm

I've been trying to find some of the Glenfarclases discussed on these forums. The 105 is readily available here in the States, but no sign of the 15. We apparently get the 17 yr old.

Has anyone tried the 17? Is it just an older version of the 15, or is it an entirely different expression?

Ideally, if someone has tried both, I'd love to hear about their relative merits! :)

Thanks so much.
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:51 pm

Like you, I've never seen the 15yo here, only the 17yo. Here's my notes:

Score (85) Glenfarclas 17yo 43% abv (Speyside)

Tasting notes:

Color: Honey gold sunset

Nose: Honey, coconut, butter, graham cracker, dried fruit, polished oak, orange zest, almond paste

Palate: Fiery, lightly sweet malt like the 12, but rounder, cedar-y, watery, fades fast

Body: Thin, warming, biting

Finish: Long vapor, smoothing out to infinity, feels more than 43%

Notes: A lot like the 12, but with a more refined, smoother finish, just not quite as complex as I was hoping. I will revisit after awhile, but probably not going to be a favorite at these prices. If the 105 disappoints I’ll drop this as a distillery that’s just not my style. Revise: Getting richer already, up two points. The complexity of the nose has grown and the palate sweeter, slightly mellowed.

Quote: Above average and gaining

Since these notes I've also tried the 105, 25yo, and have an unopened 21yo, so you could say this is a substantially worthy distillery to explore.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder