Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

McPhail's Collection Bunnahabhain 1990

All your whisky related questions answered here.

McPhail's Collection Bunnahabhain 1990

Postby Dan G » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:37 pm

I saw this one at Great Canadian Liquor recently for $60. Should I buy one? I've never had Bunnahabhain, and don't think I've even ever seen it before. I did notice that Broom gave the 1998 a mediocre rating but liked the 1999. (For context, my tastes run toward the peaty Islays and Bruichladdich, not sweeter whiskys).
Dan G

Postby kallaskander » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:58 am

Hi there,

Bunnhabhain used to produce a typically Islay whisky till 1962. In that year they changed their water supply from peaty surface water to unpeated spring water coming from granite rock. At the same time they stopped using peat in the kiln.
After it was bought by Burn Stewart which is a subsidary of CL Financial of Trinidad and Tobago (they also have rum distilleries) there was some movement at Bunnhabhain. From around 1997 on the began using peat again and recently they came out with new bottles for the 12 year old and there are a 18 year old and a 25 year old as well as Bunnhabhains which are from the 1960s. Auld Acquaintance is a peated Bunnhabhain but it is not quite cheap. The 18 and especially the 25 are superb, the latter really high priced.
If you find the 18 year old go for it. It is a very good malt. Not a typical Islay but a promise of what will probably come from Bunnhabhain in the future. A colleague of mine (after he had offered me a sip of a 40 year old Bunnahbhain from 1962 with lots of heavenly peat) said "If only they found back to using peat again, the likes like Ardbeg would have a stiff competition." How right he is.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:06 am

McPhails Bunnys got mediocre ratings in the Bible.88 78pts 89 83pts but one man's meat is another mans murder.Bunny is usually quite full bodied and coastal without much peat but often sherry casks are involved.If you can get the OB 12 it's probably the best starting point. According to Jim Murray the OMC 16yr old was the best of recent times but that was a ltd single cask bottling. There may be some left in the UK but whether you could get it shipped to you by a retailer is debatable.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:40 am

kallaskander wrote:Bunnhabhain used to produce a typically Islay whisky till 1962. In that year they changed their water supply from peaty surface water to unpeated spring water coming from granite rock. At the same time they stopped using peat in the kiln.

I thought the changeover was in 1963 - their 1963 40yo is peaty and quite delicious.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:23 am

Hi there,

could be Nick. Anyway the 1962 which was 40 years, too was a dream.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:46 am

According toAndy jefford(Peat Smoke and Spirit) Bunny have produced some peated malts recently 1991 and 1997 at 28ppm and 38ppm. More recently another batch at 38ppm was produced(2003)The 90s management disagreed on the end product one saying it was a great whisky another that it was 'a bit sickly'. The 90s runs had to go for blending and theproprieters at the time decided against further runs as it took about 8 weeks to clear the stills afterwards. The new proprieters appear to intend producing regular small peated batches a la B'laddie that no doubt will have an added premium price a la Springbank.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder