Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Johnson's Whisky Tot

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Johnson's Whisky Tot

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:59 pm

Has anyone tried the Johnson's Whisky Tot? It is an interesting looking glass.

http://www.bottegadelvinocrystal.com/malt_glass.htm
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:20 am

Looks like a Ridel knock-off without a stem...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:47 am

It's a nice looking glass for a social drink but personally I prefer to get my tasting glasses free with a bottle. I honestly think it is criminal the prices that some retailers charge for tasting glasses when we already paya premium for the whiskey. Further I reckon so called quality glass ware is over hyped. Give me a freebie glencarin anyday :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:50 am

Looks nice - my only gripe with it is all the fingerprints you'll leave on the glass - which is why I prefer stemware - and the Glencairn.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Frodo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:51 am

Where, where (free glasses)!!!!!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 am

Christian, many of us handwarm our whisky (and you should, too!), so fingerprints are a fact of life. You could try washing your hands now and then! :P The real reason to prefer stemware is that a thick-bottomed glass like this one mitigates against efficient handwarming. The Glencairn is merely okay in this regard, with its relatively thick glass and wide stem interface.

iwc, I paid a lot for my last car, so I think my whisky should be free, too!
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:37 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Christian, many of us handwarm our whisky (and you should, too!), so fingerprints are a fact of life.!

That's a good point - but you see, the nice and tolerant woman I live with unfortunately suffers the commonly found "female frost-syndrome". Thus I never experience a living room temperature below 25 degrees Celcius during the winter season :roll: So, there's no reason to warm up my whisky more than that.
You could try washing your hands now and then! :P

:P
The real reason to prefer stemware is that a thick-bottomed glass like this one mitigates against efficient handwarming. The Glencairn is merely okay in this regard, with its relatively thick glass and wide stem interface.

True, but I never touch the copita apart from the bottom on the Glencairn. I hold the glass in a way where you clutch the bottom (we're talking glass - not handwarming, but if we do I suggest one is better off clutching someone else's bottom) between your "pointing finger" (lack of right english word) and the thumb. And that's actually enough if the temperature is too low. A greasy glass - especially wine glass - looks unappetising which is why I absolutely hate the new stemless Riedel "everyday" wine glasses.
iwc, I paid a lot for my last car, so I think my whisky should be free, too
:D Where I live you pay so much for your whisky that someone should give you a car.....

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:31 pm

Looks great, but at $25 I think I'll wait and get a free plastic one from Glasgow.

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:07 pm

Looks great, but at $25 I think I'll wait and get a free plastic one from Glasgow.
:D

Looks like a thinly disguised tumbler or perhaps even a candle holder. I have one that is similar in shape, it's hopeless for whisky but I think the goldfish like it.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Photon » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:16 pm

This may be heresy, but I find stemware awkward and uncomfortable, not to mention easier for me to spill. I have a set of traditional "scotch-n-soda" timblers that I use for wine. :shock:

I have another set of gently curved glasses that I use for whisky. Thick bottomed yes, but I tend to hand warm by rolling the glass between my hands (which has the added benefit of leaving nifty whisky trails down the side of the glass. :)

-P.
Last edited by Photon on Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby Iain » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:47 pm

I won 6 Riedel whisky glasses in a competition. I enjoy using them on special occasions, but not for everyday drinking. They're very thin and elegant, but sometimes seem a bit too "precious" - in the same way that you wouldn't enjoy drinking out of bone china tea-cups on every occasion, and sometimes would prefer to drink from a mug.

A wee problem is that they are very fragile. The rim is easily chipped, even in the simple acts of washing and drying.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:23 pm

I was given 6 Riedel glaases as a gift and despite hand washing them they all were broken within 6 months and they were pretty hopeless for nosing whisky. I've been given another set and I'm afraid if I yell at them they'll just crumble into dust. And the price of them! I'm sorry, they are just too gimicky for me.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Iain » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:33 am

The trick is to yell at them in a low voice - they'll only shatter when you hit the high notes 8)

They cost between £11 and £12 each here, which I reckon is too much for something so fragile.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:56 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:It's a nice looking glass for a social drink but personally I prefer to get my tasting glasses free with a bottle. I honestly think it is criminal the prices that some retailers charge for tasting glasses when we already paya premium for the whiskey. Further I reckon so called quality glass ware is over hyped. Give me a freebie glencarin anyday :wink:

I have plenty of the free Glencairn glasses but when I am having company over I prefer a nice clear glass that does not have some distillery logo etched into the glass.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:32 pm

Virginia Gentleman wrote:
irishwhiskeychaser wrote:It's a nice looking glass for a social drink but personally I prefer to get my tasting glasses free with a bottle. I honestly think it is criminal the prices that some retailers charge for tasting glasses when we already paya premium for the whiskey. Further I reckon so called quality glass ware is over hyped. Give me a freebie glencarin anyday :wink:

I have plenty of the free Glencairn glasses but when I am having company over I prefer a nice clear glass that does not have some distillery logo etched into the glass.

I never fill the glass that high! Tho logos don't interfere with anything for me. But I do tend to think of these as souvenirs, and usually use a snifter.

My surmises on the Riedel glass seem to be correct--whatever you think of the qualities of it for tasting, and the value of it, they are too fragile. Bet they look pretty smashing in a fireplace.
Deactivated Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:44 am

I received mine today in the mail from the Malt Advocate. I broke it in with a couple drams of The Macallan 12. I am very happy with this glass. I prefer it to the Glencairn. It is not too fragile. I would recommend this glass.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:51 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Christian, many of us handwarm our whisky (and you should, too!), so fingerprints are a fact of life. You could try washing your hands now and then! :P The real reason to prefer stemware is that a thick-bottomed glass like this one mitigates against efficient handwarming. The Glencairn is merely okay in this regard, with its relatively thick glass and wide stem interface.

iwc, I paid a lot for my last car, so I think my whisky should be free, too!

tisk tisk MrTH drinking whiskey out of your car ... I don't approve :lol:

Christmas is a great time for getting free glasses with your bottle but I have noticed that they are actually charging a little extra these days but even still these are good value. I bought 2 Jameson Glencairn glasses for 10Euro at the Midleton distillery. I then got 2 Connemara Glencairns free with 2 tasting packs but I got 2 nice light stemed nosing glasses with a Talisker 10yo which I use most of the time now. I hope they last? There is no hope on earth I'm paying 40euro for 2 glasses....
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Mr Ellen » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:59 am

When you buy a bottle from the Classic Malts range you receive two free glasses in a special package. I think this is a very good value and I like the shape and look of the glasses too.
Check 'em out at:
http://www.whisky.fr/acheter.php?id=&partie=4&rub=35

Cheers

Postby kallaskander » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:42 pm

Hi there,

you might find this interesting.

http://www.maltmadness.com/mm04.html#04-02

Greetings
kallaskander

And this looks vaguely familiar http://www.iwawine.com/orstore/ShowItem ... =WG300-312

And this one never seen before http://www.celtichighroads.com/?main_pa ... ucts_id=22
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder