Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Edradour 10yo

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Edradour 10 Years Old

Edradour 10yo

Postby rifkin » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:30 am

I tasted this whisky this weekend, and I must say I was a bit stunned.
Very different from anything I've ever had before.

I though the dram was almost Nugatti-like (the fugde based chocolate-nutty stuff some people put on their sandwiches). Perhaps my tastebuds were out of sync, but has anyone else got a similar taste impression?

Three questions:

1) I've read the ratings given by Whiskymag, but does anyone got some personal taste notes on this?
2) Are there any similar whiskies in taste that can measure up to this?
3) Are there any special botts (independant or OB's) of Edradour recommandable other than the 10yo?

I like this whisky :wink:
rifkin

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:40 am

I haven't tried this yet but I can tell you that Jim Murray scored it 86 and there is an Edradour Signatory aged 10 years that he scored an 89.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Scotchio » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:24 am

I haven't visited Edradour since they changed owners and labels but the 10 I had 5 years ago was a thing of real beauty. Incredibly thick and creamy(small stills) with lovely spicy minty flavours. Sweet enough to drink with ice cream although I never did. Pretty unique, I keep thinking I should get some more but I'm too busy exploring.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:50 am

I have drunk Edradour 11 ys “Bordeaux Finish” “Straight from the Cask”: I recommend it if you like sweet whisky; sweet at the nose (sherry and vanilla), at the taste candy sweetness, nutty, mint and a hint of smoky, but be careful to the amount of water added and it’s important the oxygenation.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:06 am

Hi there,

good advice laphroaig 10_65. Ever tried the Laphroaig 10 years Rioja ACE by Murray McDavid?
IMO all the wine finishings are even more unforgiving if you only slightly overdo it with water than sherry cask bottlings where you have to be extremely careful already. To me the wine notes are too strong in the undiluted wine finished whisky from the begining. Adding water did not help it any but made it worse, in most cases worst.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:41 pm

Thank you kallaskander,
at this moment I don't know that bottle of Laphroaig, but I'll look for it.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby rifkin » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:42 pm

*Bump*

Anyone got some answers on question 2? 8)
rifkin

Postby Mr Ellen » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:35 pm

My personal tasting notes would read:
Soapy, perfumy, sticky with an aftertaste that is impossible to get rid of for the next couple of hours. In my opinion this is one of the worst whiskies I have ever tried and I am having big difficulties in emptying the bottle. I have tried to give it to my friends but as they, too, have the same bad experience from this whisky I simply can't see any other solution than to pour it down the drain. Undrinkable!!

Cheers

Postby Tyson » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:35 pm

Try the Dalmore "Cigar Malt" (sweet and chocolaty), or the Glenmorangie Burgundy Wood finish (sweet and grapey/winey).
Tyson

Postby MGillespie » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:22 am

Rifkin, I agree with you. I finished off a bottle of the Edradour 10 a few weeks ago, and thought it was pretty good. I also found a bit of nutty flavor and cocoa in it...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:27 am

I really like how you picked up nougat flavours from the Edradour, Rifkin. I haven't tried Edradour in over a year and I quite enjoyed it back then. At the time I thought it was similar to Knockando with its nuttiness, just more full-bodied. I wonder whether I would feel the same way now if I tried them side by side.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby rifkin » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:56 pm

Hi again, everyone. Thanks for the positive replies. The Edradour 10yo has just taken a rather large chuck of my wallet, and I guess I'll eat a lot of rice and nudles the next two weeks.

:wink: A few years more, and I can buy a bottle a week 8)
rifkin

Postby Scotchio » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:49 am

Minis of the old style 10 often appear on ebay and go for buttons. They seem pretty consistently good if anyone is curious but fearful of picking up a dodgy full bottle.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Edradour 10 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder