Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Signatory Edradour 1976

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Signatory Edradour 1976

Postby Matt2 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:26 am

Hi all,

I've had this bottle sitting in its nice velvet box for a couple of years now, saving it for a special occassion.

Opened it on Saturday night with a few friends and the only tasting note I could write is 'soap' The soap finish seemed to last for hours (I can still taste it now) and made me feel rather sick. Managed to drink three sips and that was it. :evil:

4 out of 4 people found it completly undrinkable. I was thinking about sending it back to them.

Anyone else had one of these bottlings? Did anyone ever find an answer to this - is it meant to taste like that?

Eventually moved on (after washing my mouth out with buckets of water) to Glen Mhor, Convalmore and Linkwood Rare Malts which all went down very well.

Cheers,

Matt
Matt2

Postby kallaskander » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:00 pm

Hi there,

I feel with you but there is not much I can offer in the way of consolation. I always thought that the soap problem in Edradour was a more recent thing. How did the Rare Malts stand up to the overwhelming soapy taste?

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:26 pm

Send it back to them Matt. It's worth a go. That has not happened to me yet and I dread the day it does.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:28 pm

Matt wrote "Managed to drink three sips and that was it. :evil: "

Sounds like you were foaming at the mouth...

"It's a bad thing whisky, especially bad whisky" :(
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:12 pm

A few glasses of Linkwood CS seemed to clear out most of the soap :lol:

I will give it another go this evening just to make sure it wasn't something I had been eating that night. Maybe an acquired taste.

Anyone want a sample of this? Would be interested to see what others think of it as I have heard some people don't detect the soap at all.

Does anyone else have one of these bottles waiting to be opened?

Lucky I opened it, was going to give it as a present to someone, that would have been quite embarassing...

Quote of the day:
"Talk to me like that again and I will wash your mouth out with ........"
Matt2

Postby robs42 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:00 pm

I'm afraid that's what I have found with most Edradour's I've tried - the worst soap culprit was their 1993 CS Decanter bottling, but I find it to varying degrees with all their wood finishes.

The other tasting note I invaribly get with Edradour is 'baby vomit' in the nose.

Edradour is not one of my favourite malts :?
robs42

Postby Mr Ellen » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:17 pm

robs42 wrote:I'm afraid that's what I have found with most Edradour's I've tried - the worst soap culprit was their 1993 CS Decanter bottling, but I find it to varying degrees with all their wood finishes.

This is exactly my opinion. I have really tried to like this malt but as soon as I stick my nose to a glass of Edradour I get this sticky, sweet, perfumy and soapy smell which I simply can't associate with whisky. I have asked friends of mine who also own different bottlings of Edradour and there is no one who actually likes it and the tasting notes are quite similar to mine. I have an opened bottle which I have tried to finish for a year now (mostly by asking friends of mine to help me) but I guess I simply have to pour it down the drain... :(
For me Edradour is undrinkable and it's not likely I'll ever buy another bottle.

Cheers

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:11 pm

I've had just one bottle of Edradour CS and I did get a soapy smell but it did not taste soapy as I have found some macallans that I have tried. I also got a bit of a porridge smell but I found it quite likeable to drink.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Tyson » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The OB Edradour's are unpleasant for the reasons noted above, but I've had the Signatory bottling of Edradour in the "Non-chillfiltered" line in the silver tubes, and it was really quite good. Makes me think Edradour is doing something very wrong with their in-house finishing.
Tyson

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:46 am

Some of the soapy whiskies I've had have smoothed out over time.

Suggested experiment #1: Pour a dram and let it sit out for a half an hour or an hour, and see how it tastes then.

Suggested experiment #2: Pour half of it into another bottle, so the whisky can get some air without being totally open. Check back on it in a week, two weeks, a month, a year. Might be worth it to try decanting several times.

I have no idea whether these experiments will prove anything, but it's what I would consider. The theory is that whatever is causing the soapy taste is volatile enough to evaporate fairly quickly (hopefully faster than the alcohol). Last resort, shampoo with it.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:47 am

Hi there,

still "Go wash your mouth with Edradour" does sound more apealing to me then the original quote.
Question is which is the worse punishment or better reminder? :)

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:33 am

Tried again last night and it was still there.

Interesting point about leaving it for a while. Have a glass sitting on my desk and I will see what it is like a bit later.
Matt2

Postby karlejnar » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:50 pm

I can fully recommend to let the bottle "breathe" for a while. And to carry out the experiments as MrT suggests.

Had one of the 11yo Straight From The Cask(aug-1991/may-2003, cask no. 268), and when first opened it did have the nasty "baby vomit" smell. The taste however was not really that soapy most of the times. At one occasion I did detect a soapy taste, but that was after having ice cream. Dunno why the sweet desert brought out the soap, but it did.

But luckily the "baby vomit" smell dissapeared over time.
Baring in mind that they use fresh oloroso casks, the sweet full sherry taste can put you off, if you happen to dislike heavily sherried whiskies.

Looking forward to open the Signatory UCF 10yo some day
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:32 pm

Small glass sat on my deks for 5 hours and it still has a strong soap taste. It is such a shame because I am sure there is a very nice whisky under all that soap.

Also, if I shake the bottle I can get quite a good head on it which stays for at least 30 seconds.

Will empty half of it out and leave the bottle for a few weeks, but I don't really hold out much hope as it is such a strong taste.

Cheers for your suggestions...
Matt2

Postby kallaskander » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:47 pm

Hi there,

as you are willing to experiment what about a little series of dilution levels? Not that I do think that water will take away the soap. But as there is no cure for the soap in that whisky (not even whiskey and butter??!! :lol: ) you could try what happens to that pungent aroma while diluting the whisky in meassured steps. Surely not a scientific breakthrough but a nice little passtime. You can pour it out anytime.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby parvus » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:18 pm

Matt Page wrote:Small glass sat on my deks for 5 hours and it still has a strong soap taste. It is such a shame because I am sure there is a very nice whisky under all that soap.

Also, if I shake the bottle I can get quite a good head on it which stays for at least 30 seconds.

Will empty half of it out and leave the bottle for a few weeks, but I don't really hold out much hope as it is such a strong taste.

Cheers for your suggestions...

The head from shaking the bottle is of some concern if the ABV is under 50%, if it's at 50 or higher, then it is perfectly fine. My bottle of Sig. Edradour 10 isn't soapy, but it does have a rank, offensively fake odour of turkish delight. I'm not sure what's up with Edradour, but that bottle will sit in my cabinet untouched for some time also.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:12 pm

robs42 wrote:I'm afraid that's what I have found with most Edradour's I've tried - the worst soap culprit was their 1993 CS Decanter bottling, but I find it to varying degrees with all their wood finishes.

The other tasting note I invaribly get with Edradour is 'baby vomit' in the nose.

Robs42, what does the CS Decanter bottling taste like? I got an unopened one sitting on the shelf... :shock:

Thanks a lot.
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder