Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bushmills 400 Year anniversary

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Bushmills 400 Year anniversary

Postby Alec » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:05 pm

Just to let everyone know, I've been in touch with Bushmills regarding their plans for their 400 year anniversary. They are planning on producing some new bottlings to mark the occasion, no details as of yet, and are collecting a mailing list of people that are interested. Also SMWS are planning on doing something fairly big to mark the occasion in 2008.
Alec

Postby kallaskander » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Hi there,

refering to the document of 1608? Bushmills isn´t even mentioned Coleraine is. But if all of Antrim wants to celebrate 400 years of distilling why not.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:23 pm

I'm surprised they're still claiming the 1608 "grant to distil" relates to the distillery.

Stand by for a flood of historical poo-pooing :roll:. With Jim Murray as the head poo-poo-er, I expect - he has pointed out that the "evidence" could just as easily be used (equally incorrectly) to make a claim for Cooley and Middleton being established in 1608!
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:37 pm

kallaskander wrote:refering to the document of 1608? Bushmills isn´t even mentioned Coleraine is. But if all of Antrim wants to celebrate 400 years of distilling why not.

Coleraine is actually in County Derry, not County Antrim. Long ago, County Derry used to be called County Coleraine. I had heard that Bushmills as a place only sprang up during the 19th Century famines when the crossing of the River Bush was a halfway point between the workhouses in Coleraine and Ballycastle - and since each workhouse had a maximum stay of 30 days, there was steady traffic between the two.

This could all be misinformation, of course.
Deactivated Member

Postby Iain » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:53 pm

JM points out that Bushmills originally claimed (and he seems to agree) that the distillery was founded in 1784.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:33 pm

Iain wrote:JM points out that Bushmills originally claimed (and he seems to agree) that the distillery was founded in 1784.

That is spot on... All there older bottlings had an established date of 1784 on them of which I have the pleasure of owning 2. I reckon some yokel of a pr man came up with this in the late sixties or early seventies.

There was supposedly 4 different distilleries working in that area at one stage and the original licence to grant whiskey production in 1608 given to the local land lord has nothing to do with Bushmills itself. They basically stole the whole thing as a marketing ploy which is a bit sad. Any other business would be happy to claim a heritage back to 1784.

However I look with interest to see what they come out with as any excuse will do me for new expressions of Irish whiskey :wink:

Cooley can now claim to have the oldest distillery heritage in Ireland but they bought that claim by buying Lockes Est 1757 even though it has not distilled whiskey in over 50years but there are plans to renovate it.

Marketing eh.... who can you believe these days ?????
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Bushmills 400 Year anniversary

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:41 pm

Alec wrote:Just to let everyone know, I've been in touch with Bushmills regarding their plans for their 400 year anniversary. They are planning on producing some new bottlings to mark the occasion, no details as of yet, and are collecting a mailing list of people that are interested. Also SMWS are planning on doing something fairly big to mark the occasion in 2008.

Hi Alec - how do you get on this mailing list?
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:31 pm

Aidan wrote:
Alec wrote:Just to let everyone know, I've been in touch with Bushmills regarding their plans for their 400 year anniversary. They are planning on producing some new bottlings to mark the occasion, no details as of yet, and are collecting a mailing list of people that are interested. Also SMWS are planning on doing something fairly big to mark the occasion in 2008.

I think the site is down for re-juvenation at the moment but i think there is a contact on the home page. Just say your a collector and interested in any products that may be available for the 400yr anniversary. Hopefully they will come back and say that you have been placed on the so called list.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:50 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:
Aidan wrote:

I think the site is down for re-juvenation at the moment but i think there is a contact on the home page. Just say your a collector and interested in any products that may be available for the 400yr anniversary. Hopefully they will come back and say that you have been placed on the so called list.

Thanks Adrian - that's done. I'll see what happens. Of course, they may reply to indicate that I'm welcome to buy their anniversary releases for 2,000 euro per bottle...
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:14 pm

Aidan wrote:
irishwhiskeychaser wrote:
Aidan wrote:

Thanks Adrian - that's done. I'll see what happens. Of course, they may reply to indicate that I'm welcome to buy their anniversary releases for 2,000 euro per bottle...

The way Irish special releases are going I would not doubt that you may be right.....

They have abviously planned this well in advance as I was put on their on their list sometime in 2004.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:42 pm

There site has been down for months. How long can it take? I think Bushmills needs a new IT guy.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:17 am

I suspect that may be one of the unfortunate side effects following the Diageo transfer last fall...their IT folks may not have caught up with everything yet.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:51 am

Whoa! Bushmills was established in 1784, everybody is a few years too early for a 400 year anniversary.

In 1608 a license was granted to Sir Thomas Phillips, King James I's deputy for the plantation of Ulster, for whisky to be made "within the countie of Colrane, otherwise called O Cahanes country or within the territorie called Rowte in Co. Antrim."

Bushmills was established later, much later. But still, any excuse for a special bottling is fine by me. :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Alec » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:17 am

Hey Aidan. I phoned them up and was asked whether I wanted to go on to a list for advanced notification about the 400 Year anniversary.

Personally I don't care what year they were really founded, they are celebrating it, that's all that matters ;)
Alec

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:13 pm

Mr Picky sez "400th anniversary". "400-year anniversary" is redundant, as "anniversary" means "a yearly commemoration".

Annoying little b*st*rd, isn't he? :P
Deactivated Member

Postby parvus » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:21 pm

I hope this 400th yearly aniversary (yearly, 400 years, yearly), comes in a club-shaped bottle, so that you can be savagely beaten about your picky, picky heid!
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:00 am

Tsk, tsk...and after I called you a gentleman. 8)

Hopefully when the bottle breaks over my noggin, enough whiskey will trickle into my mouth to make it worthwhile!
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:19 am

Bushmills is quite light, so you'll have to hit him 50% more times due to the triple distillation.
Aidan

Postby Lawrence » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:58 pm

Or at least twice, to be sure , to be sure.

Sorry.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:58 am

Ow, quit it. Ow, quit it.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:25 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Ow, quit it. Ow, quit it.

Bush-a-bunga Dude :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Alec » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:26 am

To totally change subject...does anyone know where I can get hold of a bottle of the Jameson 1780 12 Year Old. I absolutely adored that whiskey, and I haven't tried the Jameson 12 Year Old yet. How does it differ from the 1780?
Alec

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:26 am

Hi Alec

The Jameson 1780 is now just called Jameson 12. There's a debate over whether it's the same whiskey in the bottle, but it's along the same lines. You can pick up the old bottles now and again on eBay.
Aidan

Postby Alec » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:58 am

Cheers Aidan, that's a relief. I'll have to get a bottle now, and see for myself!
Alec

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder