Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glen Garioch 15

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Glen Garioch 15

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:40 pm

Anyone have any tasting notes on the Glen Garioch 15? I can get this for only $39 which is really good for a 15 year old single malt.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:48 pm

I'm afraid I haven't tasted this particular malt yet but for $39 it's worth a try by any standard.

Why don't you buy it and share your tasting notes? :D
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:10 am

As reviewed in Issue 12:

Michael Jackson Score: 8

Nose
Incense-like. Perfumy. Parma violets. Heather.
Palate
Quite rich. Starts malty, but becomes drier. More spicy. Spanish root. The flavour just keeps on developing.
Finish
More emphatic spiciness and peat.
Comment
Less robust, more rounded. It is one of those choices that depends on the mood.

Jim Murray Score: 63/4

Nose
Slightly salty, a sprinkling of smoke, mint, sage and other herbal notes. Not harmonious or attractive.
Palate
Sweet arrival of peated malt and then becomes hot, jagged, yet somewhat unbalanced and thin.
Finish
A thick layer of peat and pepperiness softens the earlier blow. A biscuity maltiness adds charm, but it's a bit too late.
Comment
Disappointing, with one or two delicious moments.

Hope this helps, but at that price I would buy and decide for myself.

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:49 am

I don't know why this doesn't get better reviews. It's in my top twenty rotation. The 8yo and 10yo are nice, and cheap, too

Score-- 88

Name--Glen Garioch 15yo 43% abv

Region--Highland

Quote--Like a Thanksgiving dinner

Tasting notes:

Color: Gold

Nose: Pecan pie, honey-glazed ham with pineapple, pumpkin pie, warm caramel

Palate: Glazed walnuts, malt, lemon zest, tree bark, light smoky glow

Body: Thin, firming

Finish: Short to medium, nut shell dryness, with a lingering sweetness

Notes: Why does this remind me of an Indiana winter? It has something special tucked away inside all those flavors that is so comforting. Balance, balance, balance. I’m curious about the 8 and 21, too. Revise: It holds the profile to the very last drop Replace: YES. Definitely the richest of the 3. 8yo, 10yo, 15yo, that is. Still can't find the 21yo.

The main theme is the nuttiness. It is so uniquely different that I keep one expression open at all times to throw in there between all the standards.
Definitely worth the price it goes for here, $40+US. The 8 & 10 are around $20-$22.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:23 am

jimidrammer wrote:I don't know why this doesn't get better reviews. It's in my top twenty rotation. The 8yo and 10yo are nice, and cheap, too

Score-- 88

Name--Glen Garioch 15yo 43% abv

Region--Highland

Quote--Like a Thanksgiving dinner

Tasting notes:

Color: Gold

Nose: Pecan pie, honey-glazed ham with pineapple, pumpkin pie, warm caramel

Palate: Glazed walnuts, malt, lemon zest, tree bark, light smoky glow

Body: Thin, firming

Finish: Short to medium, nut shell dryness, with a lingering sweetness

Notes: Why does this remind me of an Indiana winter? It has something special tucked away inside all those flavors that is so comforting. Balance, balance, balance. I’m curious about the 8 and 21, too. Revise: It holds the profile to the very last drop Replace: YES. Definitely the richest of the 3. 8yo, 10yo, 15yo, that is. Still can't find the 21yo.

The main theme is the nuttiness. It is so uniquely different that I keep one expression open at all times to throw in there between all the standards.
Definitely worth the price it goes for here, $40+US. The 8 & 10 are around $20-$22.

I did find one good review of the 15 year old. Jim Murray scored it a 91 in the 2006 Whisky Bible. If you are ever in Washington, DC you can find the 21 year old for a pretty good price at Schneider's of Capitol Hill.
http://www.cellar.com/home/default.asp
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:14 pm

I like the 15yo, with some peat, a little smoke, malty, fruity, floral, good body. The 10yo is good too. I prefer my Glen Gariochs at cask strength though for $39 you really can't go wrong!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:45 pm

Good whisky well worth trying. Sweet subtle peat smoke, with slightly floral speyside character.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:24 pm

I picked up a recent OB 15 and rate it very highly
N Peat, sherry and coastal notes that reminded me of Bunna
T Dry peat v sweeter honied malt on a sherried background. Medium bodied and chewy. Some spiciness but very smooth with maturity greater than 15yrs
F Slight oiliness more honey medium length
B Quite thick and weighty, very enjoyable. Somewhere between Bunna 12 and Highland Park 18 in flavour and complexity. Liked the balance between sherry peat and malt and the impression of greater maturity. Good late night alternative to the more assertive styles.
With time a lavender note becomes more noticable.

Buy some it's great!
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:15 pm

Hi there,

Lavender??? Oh no, not again. I have not had a Glen Garioch for quite some time but in my memory there is no lavender however strong I concentrate.
What have they done at Morrison Bowmore? Bought truckloads of lavender soap and distributed it equally among Bowmore, Glen Garioch and - Auchentoshan? :cry: :shock:

Anyway, it sounds strange to my ears when another Suntory whisky suddenly shows lavender notes. Did someone else find lavender in a Glen Garioch or is this just a unhappy coincedence?

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:32 pm

I get some floral notes in some Glengariochs but no lavender and certainly nothing soapy or perfumey, even in the OBs. Nothing like what I've disliked about some Bowmores.

Oh and I forgot to mention the spiciness which I often find, and like, especially in the DTC bottlings.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:35 pm

Not a negative in this case and not strong. A sweetish floral note. I'm no florist could just as easily be violets. Perhaps the lad with the "more scotch" question should buy an assorted beauquet and an OB15 and do a comparison!
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:54 pm

Hi there,

whew!!! :wink:

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:10 pm

Am I the only one who gets glazed walnuts and pecan pie in all Glen Garioch expressions? The nuttiness is so distinct that I find it in the 8, 10, and 15. Just wondering because I usually find similar notes as most everyone else.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:24 pm

jimidrammer wrote:Am I the only one who gets glazed walnuts and pecan pie in all Glen Garioch expressions? The nuttiness is so distinct that I find it in the 8, 10, and 15. Just wondering because I usually find similar notes as most everyone else.

It may be that your cullinary pleasures and as such frame of reference is greater than mine.What I read as a sherry element could be nuts to you. Bamber has the rest of my bottle so I can't retaste it.
Bamber do you detect nuts in your Glen Garioch?
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:29 pm

I get some pie spices in my Glengariochs, nutmeg and ginger maybe? But not pecans.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:56 pm

hpulley wrote:I get some pie spices in my Glengariochs, nutmeg and ginger maybe? But not pecans.

Harry

Maybe that's it, the spices in the pie is what I detect and the dry finish is the nuttiness. Time for a reevaluation dram. :wink:
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:46 am

Scotchio wrote:What I read as a sherry element could be nuts to you.

I hear that!
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:55 am

I've picked up lavender in the Glen Garioch 15 and the 21 is all but undrinkable, as JM says, one wierd whisky. I refrained from saying too much on the subject. In any case I've selected the 15 for a tasting on Tuesday and I'll give it another shot, I'll interested to hear what the rest of the tasters think.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder