Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Scottish Grain Whiskies

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Scottish Grain Whiskies

Postby Mr Ellen » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:58 pm

I have thoughts of exploring the depths and mysteries of Scottish Single Grain Whiskies and realized it was not widely spoken of here at the forum, tasting notes close to none.
Has anyone out there experiences of any kind that would be helpful in choosing my first bottle?
I've noticed that several of the better known independent bottlers (i.e. Adelphi, Cadenhead, Hart, Duncan Taylor & Scott's) have recently released many interesting bottlings from long gone & lost distilleries. Anyone tried Single Grain from these??

Look forward to your inputs... :wink:

Cheers

Postby hpulley » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:32 pm

I've had '73 Strathclyde and '79 Carsebridge from Duncan Taylor & Co. Both were interesting but for the price I wouldn't buy a bottle of them. I found the Strathclyde to be quite fiery for a 30yo. The Carsebridge tasting notes can be found in my Duncan Taylor sampling thread. I'll go grab them...

From the Spirit of Toronto notes:

Then on to Duncan Taylor with Euan! The 23yo Northport was interesting but I thought it was a single grain! It was so sherried that it was as round as a grain whisky. Conversely, the 30yo '73 Strathclyde single grain was very hot. The 16yo Glen Garioch was very good with an interesting note from the back of the palate into the finish. I picked up a goody box for later.

The goody box contained samples. Here is the note about the Carsebridge:

The first one we sampled was a 1979 25yo Carsebridge single grain, 60.3%. The nose was of a grain whisky, obviously with some spirity notes even after 25 years (they went away with water, however). I thought there were even some Canadian rye whisky notes in it though Frodo disagreed strongly. It was quite sweet with cereal notes and a finish which seemed dry at full strength. With water it became sweeter overall, especially the finish. It was nice but we expected more and I preferred the Strathclyde 30yo grain we tried at the show better (IIRC, Wendy did too).

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:00 am

Hi there,

there are not many single grains that are bottled at a regular basis. From The Invergordon there are bottlings of different ages, among them a 10 year old. There is/was the Black Barrel but I have not seen a bottle of it for a while.
The grains of Carsebridge, Dumbarton, Camarombridge and other grain distilleries are bottled by independent bottlers most of the time, many of them at a high age and not quite cheap.
There is a vatted grain from Compass Box but that is not what you are after really. Good luck for the hunt.

Greetings
kallaskander
Last edited by kallaskander on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:36 am

I'm told the Invergordons from DTC are great but have yet to be able to try one.

Hedonism, Glaser's vatted grain whisky, is quite good but as said above, it is not the single grain you're after.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:13 am

Whisky Magazine issue 54 has an article about grain whisky on page 50.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:27 pm

The standard bottling of 'Cameron Brig' is excellent and tastes of licorice.

You should get it from any distillery owned by Diageo, if you are visiting, and from Royal Mile Whiskies' website.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:35 pm

Superbly smooth and extremely pleasant is the Hart Brothers Alloa 40 years old single grain.

But it is quite expensive at getting on for €200 per bottle.
This was the "Festival Bottling" for The Munich Whisky Festival 2005.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:47 am

I tasted a 40y grain in November and it blew me away! Wow, a treat, a surprise, and I needed to add one to my collection! So I did, just last week, and bought a bottle of Scott's Selection North of Scotland 1964 single grain, (bottled in 2003).
Has anyone tasted this particular one, or the other that seems to be on the market, 1963? I'd love to hear your comments. I'm not sure on what occasion I'll open it, but I appreciate your help.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:58 pm

Here are two tastingnotes of mine for grainwhisky:

Invergordon 1964 40 yrs Grainwhisky (Dewar Rattray)

Nose: Sherry, peppermint. Chewinggum...
Palate: Medium body. Raw. Vanilla, coconut and candy. Sweet
Finish: Quite long with a coconut taste.

Strathclyde 1980 24 yo Single Grain (Peerless)
This was a single cask.

Nose: Candy and toffeé. Coconut and sweet vanilla.
Palate: Tropical fruits. Some rubbernotes. Spirity.
Finish: Short finish. Sweet.

I've had a few more, and they've all been quite sweet and candylike.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:09 pm

Virginia Gentleman wrote:Whisky Magazine issue 54 has an article about grain whisky on page 50.

Thanks for the info!
I've just read the article and from the included tasting notes it's most likely I will go for a North British 1978 or the Invergordon 1965, both from the Duncan Taylor range.
If anyone else has recommendations...just keep 'em coming :D

Cheers...

SS North of Scotland 1964

Postby Vange » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:15 pm

I recently purchased the new Scotts Selection North of Sotland 1964. The new one is bottled in 2005 (41 year old single grain whiskey aged in port casks)

I tried it at WhiskeyLive 06 in NYC and fell in love with it!

I can't wait to open it up!
Vange

tastings

Postby Vange » Fri May 19, 2006 2:35 am

Tried the SS NoS and it's very much like bourbon. It really reminds me of bourbon. It's very good, creamy and a bit sweet.
Vange

Re: SS North of Scotland 1964

Postby MGillespie » Fri May 19, 2006 3:12 am

evangelos wrote:I recently purchased the new Scotts Selection North of Sotland 1964. The new one is bottled in 2005 (41 year old single grain whiskey aged in port casks)

I tried it at WhiskeyLive 06 in NYC and fell in love with it!

I can't wait to open it up!

I've tried that one too, and I need to find a couple of bottles to stash away!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri May 19, 2006 9:46 am

Is that one aged entirely in port casks, or just finished? Sounds great! I'm looking forward to opening my bottle of Scott's Selection North of Scotland 1964 single grain, (bottled in 2003). Does anyone know if that's also done in port casks? It doesn't say it anywhere on the label.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri May 19, 2006 1:56 pm

I've tried a 17yr sherry casked North British at Allens. Really nice!!! Soft and good mouthfeel as opposed to fully flavoured.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri May 19, 2006 4:18 pm

I'm not sure whether it was just finished or aged entirely in port...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

port

Postby Vange » Fri May 19, 2006 6:26 pm

I was told at WhiskeyLive at the Speyside booth that it is indeed aged entirely in port casks.

This makes me wonder. Is there a SMSW or single grain that is aged ebtirely in sherry casks?
Vange

Postby Lawrence » Fri May 19, 2006 6:55 pm

Evangelos, if you are looking for a whisky that has been entirely aged in sherry casks your best bet is Aberlour a'bunadh (entiely aged in ex oloroso butts) or take a look at the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, they usuall have a selection in one of their bottling lists.

Lawrence
Last edited by Lawrence on Fri May 19, 2006 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
Matured cask

A'bunadh

Postby Vange » Fri May 19, 2006 7:03 pm

No wonder A'bunadh is one of my favorite whiskies!
Vange

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder