Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Good day - ? about include vs not include vatting in cost

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Good day - ? about include vs not include vatting in cost

Postby aggiesipper » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:57 pm

Im new here (and to scotch in general).

I probably better pace myself with the next few purchases because I kind of jumped in head first.

The question I have is - what is referred to when prices indicate "includes vatting" versus does not include vatting. It seems to be a percentage of about 17.5?

My recent purchases include

JW - Green - 750ml
Glenlivet - 15 fine oak - 750ml
Macallan - 12 - 750ml

Sampled some Macallan 15 that was very nice but close to 145+ locally.

Planning on trying some
Dalmore
Dalwinnie
and Ardbeg
And maybe get a set of the miniatures of the classic six.

I would appreciate any other input. I am planning on heading through the faqs a little more.
aggiesipper

Postby kallaskander » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:55 pm

Hi there,

refering to price "includes VAT" or "without VAT" means value added tax which is different from country to country. If yours is 17.5% you are lucky. In the Uk it is 20% and please do not mention VAT to a Scandinavian.

Where do you live? If you buy whisky on your travels you do not have to pay the VAT in the country where you buy whisky. But if you travel abroad by plane you can always buy spirits at the duty free at the air ports.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:32 pm

VAT is 17.5% in the UK.
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:52 pm

I guess that means you're lucky!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:57 pm

VAT (Mehrwertsteuer) is currently 16% in Germany but is going up to 19% next year.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:01 pm

25% in Sweden :shock: .
Happy...I think not... :evil:

Cheers

Postby aggiesipper » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:20 pm

I guess I should have known thats what it applied to (the govts sip).. :D

thanks - cheers.

PS, im in texas
aggiesipper

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:18 pm

21% in Ireland :( but that is only add after the 55% excise :evil:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:51 am

aggie, when you visit an online shop, they will often give the price with and without VAT; if the order is going outside the EU, you do not have to pay the VAT. I've had several bottles from Loch Fyne Whiskies that were expensive enough that the unpaid VAT offset the shipping cost. However, most online retailers in the UK will not ship to the US and Canada; and Loch Fyne, one of the few that does, say they have had no trouble with most states and provinces, but specifically state that they will not ship to Texas, as the authorities will destroy the shipment. Sorry! Check the fine print on shipping on any site you are considering ordering from.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:07 am

aggiesipper wrote:I guess I should have known thats what it applied to (the govts sip).. :D

The Govt in the UK also takes a rather bigger sip - called excise duty. This comes in at around £8 a bottle of regular strength whisky (I think), but the good news is that you don't pay VAT on the duty.
Deactivated Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:57 am

The total tax in Britain on a normal bottle of whisky is around £6.50, as the cheapest whisky in sale is ASDA's own brand blended whisky at around £6.86 - which, as far as I can remember, left 32p for the production, bottling, shipping and shop's mark-up.

Here in Norway the tax is on a normal bottle of 40% is around 158 NOK (£14), plus bottletax (two types, a total of £0,50) and VAT on top of that again (25%). So a 70cl bottle of whisky generates at least £18 in taxes for the Norwegian Minister of Finance.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby kallaskander » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:14 am

Hi there,

ASDA? could be on of those Glenmorangie is having a row about with LVMH.

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/news/index.php

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Taxes

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:56 pm

Frodo wrote:I guess that means you're lucky!

Aggiesipper:
I guess that Frodo and I are lucky as we only have GST/PST totalling 15% here in Ontario. (Of course that's on top of what the LCBO decides to charge for profits) When I bought products in the UK, I was given VAT forms to get my money back, another thread sets out the procedure involved.
What I want to know is what does "aggie" refer to? Are you the possessor of a BSc (BAg) degree :D or a son of the soil. :lol: Either of which means you are no stranger to the "Aqua vitae" in it's many forms. Welcome to the forums, nice to see an Aggie lending couth to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl. Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Taxes

Postby aggiesipper » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:40 pm

Thanks for the headsup about shipping Mr. T. :)

Muskrat Portage wrote:Aggiesipper:
What I want to know is what does "aggie" refer to? Are you the possessor of a BSc (BAg) degree :D or a son of the soil. :lol: Either of which means you are no stranger to the "Aqua vitae" in it's many forms. Welcome to the forums, nice to see an Aggie lending couth to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl. Musky P.

Im from Central Texas (about halfway between houston and Austin). Football (the funny shaped one) is big around here. An Aggie is the moniker for the local football team and also attendees of the University (Texas A&M). I happen to be employeed at the University.

Depending on who you ask, at one time, the A in A&M stood for agricultural. The school is still big into soil and crop sciences, but has expanded somewhat.

My background is a little more IT centric. But I do appreciate all forms of liquid libation ( I just waited a little long to begin my apprication of scotch).

PS, I considered "texas sipper" as an ID, but the main rival of this school is located in Austin (about 100 miles west). One of the names they go by are Tsips (or maybe thats just what we call em)... and that was a little too close for me :D

To be fair (and incase there is a scotch drinker from 100miles west on here), they have been kicking our butt in football lately. As they have with many other college teams, they finished #1 in the country this year.

Im not sure about me help keeping it civil, but I will do my best.

Thanks for the welcome.
aggiesipper

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:42 pm

Welcome, Aggie.

I'm a Buckeye.

Beat Texas.

That is all. :lol:
Elliot
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder