Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Powers 2005 vs Powers 1970's

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Powers 2005 vs Powers 1970's

Postby bamber » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:39 pm

Thanks to Aidan, I had the opportunity to try these 2 great whiskies against one another:

Powers 1970's:

N: Big industrial style potstill. Linseed oil and a hint of diesel. Dried fruit (currants), big spice and some sherry.
P: Oily good transference to palate from nose. Dried fruit comes through strongly.
C / B: Warming fruity finish. Very different to today's Power's Not as well behaved, but much more flavour and for me a superior whiskey.

Powers (today)

N: Estery potstill - white fruits and peaches. honeyed and sweet.
P: Sweet, but not too sweet. Soft pleasant mouthfeel, with honeyed fruitiness and soft grain.
C / B: Quite spicey warming finish. Medium length.

Both with big pot still influence but very different character. I would never have guessed they were the same brand. I prefer the old version.
Last edited by bamber on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:07 pm

Hi Bamber

Your notes are very interesting. I also much prefer the 1970s one. I don't find too much that links them, apart from the honey.

I try to buy up as much of the early stuff as I can for drinking, as Powers is my standard drink.

There's something in the older Powers that I can't put my finger on. I keep coming up with "dusty", but I don't know what I mean!
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:46 am

Hi Aidan - it is very different . Do you know if the potstill contained in the blend came from a different setup ?
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:51 am

Certainly a different set up to the modern version. The old version was distilled in John's Lane in Dublin using a pretty straightforward three still setup. The new stuff is made in Midleton. It's Chinese algebra by comparison.
Aidan

Postby bamber » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:07 am

It's nice to try a different potstill flavour. With the current stuff available - Jameson, Powers, Redbreast and Green spot there is a certain amount of similarity, with regards the underlying potstill character. Don't get me wrong - I love that honeyed estery fruity taste you get with those whiskies, but they seem closer to each other than the 1970's Powers was to any of them.

I think it was you or IWC, who said they'd love to see Bushmills experiment with some potstill whisky and I'd certainty second that motion.
Last edited by bamber on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:10 am

bamber wrote:It's nice to try a different potstill flavour. With the current stuff available - Jameson, Powers, Redbreast and Greenspot there is a certain amount of similarity, with regards the underlying potstill character. Don't get me wrong - I love that honeyed estery fruity taste you get with those whiskies, but they seem closer to each other than the 1970's Powers was to any of them.

I think it was you or IWC, who said they'd love to see Bushmills experiment with some potstill whisky and I'd certainty second that motion.

Yes, it is much different. I think they may have used a very small amount of other grain in the mash. Maybe oats.

I'd love to see Bushmills experiment in this way, but it's just a notion. I doubt it will happen.
Aidan

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder