Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Something comparable to Bruichladdich XVII wanted

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Something comparable to Bruichladdich XVII wanted

Postby Uisge » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:25 pm

Hey all,

I like Bruichladdich XVII best from the samples I tasted, so what could be next?
I wanted something with comparable, or slightly more peat. Does that exist? Laphroaig for example was way too much for me, that went through the sink (fortunately a miniature).
So I guess I can forget about Coal Ila, Lagavullin and Bowmore and the likes?

I hope there's still something left which suits me
:lol:

PS: maybe I should also mention that I like Cragganmore (also light peat?), Balvenie founder's reserve, and also more sherried ones like Aberlour, although that's a bit strange to mention in this topic together with the peaty Islays.
Uisge

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:52 pm

Do you want to stay with Islay?
Did you try Caol Ila?

I find Caol Ila much less peaty, if at all peaty, with more of an oily sea flavour. Also it is much 'fresher' than the others you mention.
If you can find a miniature I suggest you give it a try.

If you want something light, summery nad most certainly flowery, then I recommend Rosebank, a now closed Lowland distillery.

Good hunting,
WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:55 pm

If you want to stick with the 'Laddie', then try the WMD II - Yellow Submarine.

You will not be disappointed.
WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:13 am

For 'Laddies, see if you can find the latest Links (Turnberry), or the Full Strength. I have to disagree with WH--I think you will not like Caol Ila. It's pretty peaty.

Don't dump those minis--bottle 'em back up and screw the cap on tight, and try them again in a month or three. You never know when one of those will click.
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:16 am

The Bruichladdich 3-D Moine Mohr Cast Strength might be a good one to take on as well. It's a lot softer on the palate than other cs whiskies I've tried, and there's still loads of peat for you to chew on.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:11 am

Hi there,

the Moine Mhor is heavily peated, its little brother 3D The Peat Proposal is a bit less intense. The difference between the two is that the Port Charlotte in 3D was three years old, in Moine Mhor it is four. Both are not chill-filtered and not coloured, the 3D has 46%, the Moine Mhor 50%.
What you should look out for is the new Laddie Waves, only seven years old, Madeira finished or ACEed. Not a peat hammer but wonderfully peated and a bit sweet. Astonishing for its years.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:35 am

Sorry Uisge, I have just realised that I mis-read your post. After seeing that "Laphroaig was too much" I disregarded the fact that you wanted something WITH peat, but not so much as some.

The last Caol Ila I tried had hardly any peat and was indeed a breath of sea air. Maybe this was a-typical?
It was a Hart Bro's bottling.

I also agree with Kalla about the 3D / moine Mhor.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Uisge » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I have found another candidate; Clynelish 14yo. Shouldn't that be comparable?
Uisge

Postby Frodo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:08 pm

Nope! Clynlish is on the heavy side of med-peated. I don't think you'll like that one. I like the suggestion of Rosebank. Both have a lot of character, and both are lightly/non-peated.

A cheaper solution might be Balvenie...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:23 am

You know, it occurs to me--not to pick on you, Uisge, this is entirely tangential to your question--that the novice dramster often says "I've just had MacAskill 42 and loved it--what else is there like it?", whereas the experienced one says "Is there anything different out there?" It's all about variety--no dram is just like another, or at least it isn't supposed to be. Try them all!
Deactivated Member

Postby Photon » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:01 am

I wouldn't permannetly write off any of the super-peaty ones yet. Try them again after your palatte has been seasonsoned a bit, you never know, they might end being your favorites.

That said my reccommendation is Highland Park (pick a bottling in your price range), its got peat, but not overpowering and its sweet like some of the others you mentioned.

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:15 pm

If you want something similar to Bruichladdich, have you tried Isle of Jura? <awaits howls of protest from others>

On a different tack, Pulteney has a strong flavour, but is not particularly peaty. The Pulteney 17 is quite sweet and smooth and might be quite similar to the Bruichladdich, although I would suggest the Pulteney 12 as a non-peaty contrast.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder