Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Scapa 14 y.o.a new discovery.My induction to malts continues

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Scapa 14 Years Old

Scapa 14 y.o.a new discovery.My induction to malts continues

Postby gazza1955 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:58 pm

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me with encouragement and recommendations in my mid life crisis exploration of single malts !

To briefly recap - I've tried scotch in my youth , had a couple of single malts , didn't do much more. Went to the Vintage House in Soho. They recommended Balvenie 12yo doublewood as a good "starter" - and lovely it is ( was - not much left now !) too.Smooth , very easy to drink and a lovely starter.

Went back and they recommended a Highland Park 21 yo - and this was a delight ! Somewhat more complex and with a somewhat "floral" taste in parts and I seem to discover soemthing a bit different each time I return to it.

Next the Aberloaur A'bunadh. Batch 16 59.6%. I bought this after recommendations in this forum . Liked it , but found it a bit "full on" and think it's probably more a winter drink.

Dabbled with some Glenmorangie 12yo and a Glenfiddich 12 yo.

Bought a Highland Park 12 y.o. It was Ok , but the 21 y.o is far more subtle - found the 12 y.o a bit too "peaty".

So - back to the Vintage House today for some advice on what next. The advice I had went along the lines of " You seem to like the sherry finishes and that may be one of the reasons that you like the HP 21 y.o. - as it's finished in a sherry cask". I was set to play it safe with some srt of speyside , but was directed towards a "Provenance " autumn distillation of a Scapa 1898 distilled Atum 89 and bottled Winter 2004.46% alc/vol.

The rationale was that it is finished for 6 months in sherry wood and the salesman's view was that whilst at first glance ( taste?) the mixture of an Orkney malt with sherry finish could sound unlikely , the sherry tempers the "peaty" taste I am a little indifferent towards and brings out the more floral and citrusy notes.

It's a lovely malt to sniff and savour - I'm just starting to earn how important it is to smell and not gulp it down straight away!It's got a rather dry finish to it and with a fruity yet slightly spicy feel. Not as subtle a range of tastes as the HP 21 , but probably my 2nd favourite right now.

Delighted with the advice from the Vintage House ! The slaesman tells me my aversion to the medicinal tastes and peat may well be a transitory thing and I will acqure the taste soon.

Next and obvious questions ( and thanks in advance )

1. This is bottled byDouglas McGibbon and Co - how does this differ to a "standard" Scapa distillation?
2. Given my (still developing) tastes above - what next ? Are there other sherry/Island marriages I should try ?

Thanks

Gary
gazza1955

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:26 am

Hi Gary

If your looking for a sherry/Island marriage you might consider Bruichladdich - Infinity 55.5%, it does have a good whack of peat but the sherry balances it out quite well. Another one to try is the Signatory Brora (Sherry cask) 1981 54%, not an Island malt, but good sherry influences, or, if you want to loose the peat try the Signatory Clynelish 10yo 59%, it's smokey and fruity.

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:47 pm

I've not tried the expression of Scapa that you've had but I would recommend the Standard Scapa 14yo.
It is different to its illustrious neighbour and a cracking wee dram.
A little - dare I say - salty and packed with flavour. Not a great deal of peat but enough to linger a little with a smidgin of smoke. I can't remember if it's sherried - don't think so but don't take my word for it.

Paul - I'll be quaffing the Infinity tonight. Looking forward to it as I've not had it for a while.
Deactivated Member

Related whiskies : Scapa 14 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder