Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The lost speyside

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

The lost speyside

Postby Raymond Brown » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:19 pm

The BenRiach it is time to unlock the secret !
Raymond Brown

Postby Lawrence » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:36 pm

I'll say, it's great whisky.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:01 pm

I'm visiting Benriach next Saturday, during the whisky festival.

I've never tasted the new bottlings.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:57 pm

BruceCrichton wrote:I'm visiting Benriach next Saturday, during the whisky festival.

I think you'll be in for a real treat there.

We were visiting in January, and since they are not normally open to public, they don't have a visitor center. So they had the whole range lined up on top of a barrel, and we could just help ourselves to taste from it.

On top of another barrel they had four cask samples, some of them real gem's from 1970's.

And our tasting took place just beside the kiln which for the occasion was heated nicely with a coal fire.

BTW on the recent danish whiskyfair we had Billy Walker conducting a masterclass. All malts were cask samples - no standard bottlings at all.
The youngest was just a few days old. The oldest was >30yo and a special vatting of 20% 1st fill Butt's, 60% 2nd fill Butt's and 20% new oak barrels :shock:
Very very nice :P
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby parvus » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:08 am

Having seen Billy earlier in the year, I agree completely with other comments made. They are bottling a superb product at the moment, and it will be interesting to see how their new make ages. If Billy is in charge, I'm sure it'll be superb.

The 1970/75 vintage Benriach's are without a doubt some of the finest malts i've had the pleasure of tasting.

Enjoy.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby pouranother » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:21 am

Has anybody had one of the benraich peated malts? I'm thinking about purchasing 1, and am curious if it would be a good purchase.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby parvus » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:52 am

Both the Curiositas and the Authenticus are smashing malts. The Authenticus is my favorite of the two, it was an absolute power house of flavours. There is peat there, but it is balanced perfectly. Well priced, quality drams. Absolutely recommended.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby pouranother » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:00 am

Thanks for the recommendation. 1 more reason for the wife to be mad at me. :)
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby rthomson » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:29 am

The BenRiach 20 was a standout among fourteen whiskies tried at the Murray tasting during the Victoria Whisky Festival. Those whiskies included Highland Park 18 and Ardbeg 10. If I remember correctly, it was voted best overall by the attendees.
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:56 am

Yes, Yes and Yes. I tried the BenRiach Authenicus in Paris at WL last year and it is very good as is the Curiositas which occupies a prime location in my bar. Ron is right, the Benriach 20 came out #1 at the Jim Murray Tasting at the 2006 Victoria Whisky Festival.

With all these great whiskies one has to wonder what Chivas was doing hiding them away???

The 12 and 16 are good too.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:52 am

I thought the Curiositas was terrible--it tasted like smoky water. However, I've only had one dram, and as I often point out, context changes everything. I can't tell you what I may have eaten or drunk before that dram. Given that several here rate it highly, I will try to give it another chance when I can.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Mon May 01, 2006 9:17 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I thought the Curiositas was terrible--it tasted like smoky water. However, I've only had one dram, and as I often point out, context changes everything. I can't tell you what I may have eaten or drunk before that dram. Given that several here rate it highly, I will try to give it another chance when I can.

It wasn't one of those pipes they use in the Middle East you tried?? :wink:

I think Benriach is one of the biggest positive surprises in the Whisky World of today. I tried the Curiositas a while back and was hooked immediately. Since then I have bought the 12, 16 and 20 years old and they have all been excellent.
I would really like to try one of their vintages (I have read so many great reviews on these) and I guess that one of these will be among my next purchases.

Cheers

Postby Bullie » Tue May 02, 2006 4:28 pm

I just love their Vintage editions. Smoky, peaty, fruity and spicy... :D
I have a 1984 at home, and the others I've tried are just as good...
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed May 03, 2006 6:09 pm

Was at the distillery on Saturday.

Sniffed a few vintage casks and tasted the peaty Curiousitas and Authenticus, which were delicious.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder