Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lagavulin Px finish artificially coloured?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Lagavulin Px finish artificially coloured?

Postby Macallovich » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:40 am

Is it? E150? :roll:
Macallovich

Postby karlejnar » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:50 am

My guess is no

I think the PX would give sufficient colour to it - it's slightly reddish not golden/brownish.

But then again my bottle is bought taxfree and doesn't mention E150 or "mit Farbstoff" anywhere on the labels or box.
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:35 pm

Hi there,

the 1989 edition the last that came out here does not carry the statement that it is coloured. So I would say no, it is not coloured.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:27 pm

That's interesting. I suppose that, since the DE's are released periodically as "vintages", they feel no particular need to standardize the color. Do you suppose that each vintage is a single vatting? I'd have to guess so.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:46 pm

Hi there,

I would agree that the DEs are vattings of one special year and therefore a vintage. It would not make much sense to give a year and have a vatting of different distillation periods. If it were so what would the statement of a certain year mean? As to the colour I woul think that the PX Sherry gives enough colour and that there is no need for "Einheitliche Farbgebung", homogenisation of colours between the editions.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:34 pm

Well, just devil's advocating here, but you could certainly have more than one vatting in any given year. I doubt that's the case, though. And the possible use of coloring wouldn't be because there isn't sufficient color in the whisky, but to standardize it. Again, apparently not the case.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder