Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bowmore quality

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Bowmore quality

Postby Dubois » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Hi folks,
Some people on this forum mentionned some differences in quality on some finishes,like Bowmore "Darkest":some years are better,some are worse...
As I intend to buy a "Darkest" and a "Dawn" I was wondering how things are lately and if you guys had some latest experiences on this issue.

Thanks !
Last edited by Dubois on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Alec » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:54 pm

can't help specifically on the two you mention, but the dawn gets very good reviews. I'm drinking a Mariner at the moment, which is very pleasant. Seaweedy, with the typical Bowmore 'perfume' not too strong. dawn and Voyage are next on my list, so if you get a Dawn, pass on what your thoughts :D
Alec

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:45 pm

I have never had a bad Bowmore, but then I like Bowmore. I don't believe that there are "off" bottles; I just think Bowmore has a strong flavour (mix of peat, seaweed, herbs, bacon and flowers) that not everyone likes.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:34 pm

The Bowmore 17 is one of my favorite whiskys. However, there's just too many Bowmores for me to remember which of the others are good or bad.
Aidan

Postby Dubois » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:46 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I have never had a bad Bowmore, but then I like Bowmore. I don't believe that there are "off" bottles; I just think Bowmore has a strong flavour (mix of peat, seaweed, herbs, bacon and flowers) that not everyone likes.

I agree on the strong flavour,but on the other side I looked in Jim Murray's Whisky Bible for his comments on "Darkest" and if we have to believe him,it got worse than it was before...
Do we have to believe there ARE differences from one year to another?
Dubois

Postby Lawrence » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:00 pm

Do we have to believe there ARE differences from one year to another?

You can believe it or not but whisky does change, it's a simple fact. It may not be from year to year but it is not a static product. For a coarse example but accurate just look at Springbank from 10 years ago when compared to todays product, very different but quality. Macallan is another example. Bowmore has changed and the Darkest seems to be the one people notice most often.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby kallaskander » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:46 am

Hi there,

over in another thread we are discussing the question of terroir influence on whisky. If there were no oscillations in the outcome of whiskyproduction in any given distillery over time the concept of whisky "Vintages" would not make any sense, would it?
See Glenrothes, see Glendeveron in a bit modified way, see all those single cask and vintage bottlings.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:22 am

Bowmore's finishes seem to have a reputation as being variable so as you are interested in a couple of them you might be wise to pick up to 20cl selection pack of their finishes. I had a bottle of the Darkest a few years back which was superb but deteriorated very quickly,another good reason to take the 20cl route.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder