Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What whiskies should I stay away from?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

What whiskies should I stay away from?

Postby xjbone » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:51 pm

Hello all. I'm fairly new to the whisky world, and I am looking to gain some whisky knowlege. Obviously, we have all seen "the best whisky" polls, and I have found them extemely helpful (my first bottle was HP 10yo, which I found extemely pleasant). But, to mix it up, I am looking for opinions on what whiskies you would NOT recommend/ avoid at all costs. Thanks!
xjbone

Postby Lawrence » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:00 pm

I would avoid whiskies that are made from sugar and are only faking at being whisky. Otherwise I would try as many whiskies as I can. However I try to visit venues that have a good selection so that I'm not stuck with a bottle if I don't like it.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:04 pm

As I am sure you will detect from the other discussion threads, whisky is very personal, each person has their own tastes and what one person likes, another may find undrinkable.

Lots of forum members will be able to point you in certain directions, but you must let us know what YOU expect from a whisky?

If you let us know whether your personal taste leans towards smooth, flowery, smoky, peaty, seaweed, honey, sherry, fruits, light, heavy .. etc, then maybe we can help you avoid certain bottlings that don't match your taste. But otherwise, you will just be getting opinions reflecting other people's tastes.

Having said this, there is one whisky which I have yet to meet someone who likes it: Thatblack Loch Dhu from MAnnochmore.

But I'm sure there's someone, somewhere, who does like it!

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:03 pm

Mine!

:P
Deactivated Member

Postby DramMeister » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:42 pm

IMO:

Ledaig NAS - weird nose, palate and finish - new leather smell found in new cars?

I bought it cos the local supermarket were selling it off cheap - not cheap enough.
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:30 am

I like to stay away from chill-filtered and colored stuff. Not always easy staying away from those whiskies though, as they aren't always mentioned, the colored ones anyway. If you do your best to stay with "au naturel" perhaps you'll enjoy them more, and get true color and flavor, which is more enjoyable to me anyway. Have fun tasting.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby MacLover » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:37 am

WH, I am with you on the Loch Dhu. Thought I was drinking a bit of sewer water mixed in with some cigarette ashes. I couldn't even finish the dram.

Not sure if they have them in the US but I would also avoid any whiskies that come in a plastic jug :shock: .

Other than these, as WH pointed out, eveyone's tastes are different and you never know which whisky you might come across that you will enjoy, even if the vast majority of people may not like it.
MacLover

Re: What whiskies should I stay away from?

Postby Mr Ellen » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:02 pm

xjbone wrote:Hello all. I'm fairly new to the whisky world, and I am looking to gain some whisky knowlege. Obviously, we have all seen "the best whisky" polls, and I have found them extemely helpful (my first bottle was HP 10yo, which I found extemely pleasant). But, to mix it up, I am looking for opinions on what whiskies you would NOT recommend/ avoid at all costs. Thanks!

In my opinion, don't stay away from anything...try precisely everything you get across (incl. Loch Dhu) and build up YOUR own opinion as to what's good and not (for you).
As already stated, there's no two people that have the same palate and taste and by trying everything yourself and not avoiding anything you build up your own reference points. How else would you know what's bad for you...? :?

Cheers

Postby Dubois » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:11 pm

Mr Ellen wrote:
xjbone wrote:Hello all. I'm fairly new to the whisky world, and I am looking to gain some whisky knowlege. Obviously, we have all seen "the best whisky" polls, and I have found them extemely helpful (my first bottle was HP 10yo, which I found extemely pleasant). But, to mix it up, I am looking for opinions on what whiskies you would NOT recommend/ avoid at all costs. Thanks!

In my opinion, don't stay away from anything...try precisely everything you get across (incl. Loch Dhu) and build up YOUR own opinion as to what's good and not (for you).
As already stated, there's no two people that have the same palate and taste and by trying everything yourself and not avoiding anything you build up your own reference points. How else would you know what's bad for you...? :?

Cheers

How right you are ! I'm sure this is the best "school" as to built experience :idea:
Dubois

Postby Lawrence » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:17 pm

As already stated, there's no two people that have the same palate and taste and by trying everything yourself and not avoiding anything you build up your own reference points. How else would you know what's bad for you...?

Well said, experience is invaluable.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby ScotchBlog » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:37 pm

xjbone wrote:I am looking for opinions on what whiskies you would NOT recommend/ avoid at all costs.

Ones that are spelled with an "e"

(Just kidding, but I couldn't resist...)
ScotchBlog
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:04 am

If you are afraid of buying a full bottle and find you don't like it a reckon that you have wasted your money. One way around this is buying half bottles or even miniatures. But again I concur try everything. As you need to know what YOU don't like as well as what you like.

I'm an Irish whiskey fanatic but have to say that in my top ten there are a couple of Bourbons and a few scotches as well as my beloved Irish.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby bamyili » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:47 pm

McClelland Islay... tastes like moldy cork.
bamyili

McClelland Islay

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:15 am

bamyili wrote:McClelland Islay... tastes like moldy cork.

According to Alias Malts website, it's a 5 yo Bowmore. And yeah I have a bottle... :shock:
I was disappointed with the GlenRothes 1992 12 yo. Didn't hold a candle to the 1989 IMHO. Also isn't flying off the shelves in the LCBO.
Musky Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: McClelland Islay

Postby bamyili » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:52 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:
bamyili wrote:McClelland Islay... tastes like moldy cork.

According to Alias Malts website, it's a 5 yo Bowmore.

That's my understanding as well. However, Bowmore Legend (8 yo I believe) is entirely different and completely lacks the foul taste and nose that the McClelland has. Perhaps McClelland bought Bowmore's dregs at a discount? :roll: They can't seem to get rid of it in my neighborhood even though it is the cheapest single-malt available (actually it may be the cheapest whisky of any type at this point.).
bamyili

Postby Frodo » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:33 pm

Yeah, I had a bottle of this a long time ago. Had to force myself to finish that one...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:30 am

I seem to recall that the McClelland's brand is owned by Morrison-Bowmore. I also seem to recall that it's a good brand to avoid altogether. I had a bottle of the Highland very early in my whisky career, and I'm lucky it didn't put me off the stuff.
Deactivated Member

Postby bond » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:43 am

Despite all the posts on this forum, I never believed anything could be as bad as Loch Du. For the first time in living memory, I did not finish the glass and had to offend the host.
bond
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:45 pm

bond wrote:Despite all the posts on this forum, I never believed anything could be as bad as Loch Du. For the first time in living memory, I did not finish the glass and had to offend the host.

I would not be too upset by offending the host as he must of not liked you in the first place to offer it to you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just joking
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 01, 2006 11:21 am

bond wrote:Despite all the posts on this forum, I never believed anything could be as bad as Loch Du. For the first time in living memory, I did not finish the glass and had to offend the host.

Wait until you have had Ledaig sherry finish. Offending the host would be the least of your concerns - in fact if any host served up a glass of that, offence is obligatory :evil:

NB - I tried it as a weedkiller and the moss is worse than ever. Nettles didn't take to it though :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby Apathy78 » Fri May 19, 2006 8:35 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Mine!

:P

HAHA :lol: :lol:
Apathy78

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri May 19, 2006 10:19 pm

Avoid Tobermory and Ledaig as they are disgusting. Tobermory is both smooth and disgusting :? .

Anything with a burgundy wood finish will surely be vile - it turns Glenmorangie from being a pleasant, undemanding dram into something that tastes like dodgy wine spiked with vinegar.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 21, 2006 1:31 pm

I've never had Tobermory but I've only ever had good Ledaigs.
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:36 am

Serendipity. A real disappointment.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby ash.coop » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:27 pm

I have heard it said that Scotch is like sex; when it's bad, it's good and when it's good, it's wonderful!
ash.coop

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:39 pm

Yikes, another Baystater! Howdy do, ash.coop! (Ashfield Co-op? Just a guess.)

The difference between scotch and sex is that, while I've had some appallingly bad scotch, I've never had one that I really wish I hadn't.
Deactivated Member

Postby Drammer » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:07 pm

ash.coop wrote:

I have heard it said that Scotch is like sex; when it's bad, it's good and when it's good, it's wonderful!

Nice one :D

"American beer is like sex in a canoo, f*cking close to water!!"

8)
Drammer

Postby hpulley » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:54 pm

I echo the sentiments here that say you should try everything you are interested in, for yourself. Your taste may not match that of others and even famous whisky tasting writers must get a bum bottle every once in a while.

For the record, I enjoy the 15yo OB Ledaig and even find the 10yo Tobermory to be drinkable, though unremarkable. I personally have a few distilleries I no longer buy since I've found their quality assurance to be poor but I try not to dissuade other people from buying it as they may well disagree with me.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:00 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Yikes, another Baystater! Howdy do, ash.coop! (Ashfield Co-op? Just a guess.)

The difference between scotch and sex is that, while I've had some appallingly bad scotch, I've never had one that I really wish I hadn't.

Wow! Not another one from Franklin County!?! Isn't there an Ashland, MA?
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:14 pm

Ashland is in Worcester County--my parents lived there when I was born. Ashfield is where they throw peanut shells on the floor of the Lake House.
Deactivated Member

Postby ash.coop » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:44 pm

Yes, another Baystater and a Western one at that! Actually, Longmeadow and I'm a transplanted Brit - Ash.Coop refers to my name (Ashley is still a man's name in England!)

Cheers :D
ash.coop

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:11 pm

As Scarlett O'Hara well knows. Crikey, Ash, I'm in Sixteen Acres--Tiger Woods wouldn't need too many shots to get from my house to yours.
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder