Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Best Single Malt - up to $150 - Speyside or Highland?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Best Single Malt - up to $150 - Speyside or Highland?

Postby Peanut » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:09 am

Hi there,

Looking for recommendations for best single malt with budget of $150. Need to purchase one for father-in-law whose tastes run along the lines of Glenfiddich and Glenlivet. Don't believe he likes the heavy peaty tastes much.

We actually want to get him two...one more for everyday (~$50), one for special occasions (~$150).

We're in an area with pretty lousy selection, so we're limited that way.

I'd like him to branch out a bit for the everyday...

Thinking Highland Park 12y or Balvenie 12y Double Wood or Glenfiddich 18y (the Glenfiddich is what he think he wants and wouldn't exactly be "branching out", but...) for everyday and Balvenie PortWood 21y for the special occasion one. (Although I don't want to get Balvenie for both, so...)

Any other ideas or feedback on the above? Would appreciate it muchly.
Peanut

Postby Dubois » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:47 am

I would go for Highland Park 18 Yrs and Balvenie 15 Yrs Single Barrel.
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby MacLover » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:08 am

I would recommend the HP18 or Macallan 18.
MacLover

Postby bamber » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:34 am

Glenfiddich 18y (everyone should get what they want for their birthday)
HP 25yo OB (safe, great whisky - cannot imagine any malt drinker not giving thanks for that).
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:09 pm

I'm thinking of an expensive Balvenie for the $150 and I think you could get the 25yr for that. For $50 or less, my advice would be Glengoyne 10 if you wanted something a little different but not challanging.

Highland Park 18 is a good drop, but it might be more flavourful than your father-in-law likes.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:42 am

I like Dubois' picks.

What state/province are you in, Peanut? Could help with selection.
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:33 am

Hi Peanut:

I can't argue with any of the suggestions you've received so far - but depending on where you are and what you have access too - and based on your budget targets - I would highly recommend the Glenfiddich Solera Reserve 15 year old as a bargain ($65 in BC and $45-ish in Alberta) as your everday purchase and for the special occassion whisky here are a few thoughts:

If you can still find the BenRiach 20 ($139.99 in BC) - or the BenRiach 16 ($100 in Ontario) - these are gems...

Highland Park 18 - always a favourite - especially in Alberta at ~ $75 - whereas I'd still happily pay the $121 price in BC if I couldn't make it over the Rockies...

If you are (or can be) in Calgary, Alberta - then the Glenrothes 1973 can be found for $140 at Willow Park, grab it and run!!!
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Peanut » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:01 am

You are awesome...every one of you. Thanks so much.

I'm in Oregon (southern coast area). There is a product list from the Oregon LCC that I've been referring to for scotches that may be available here. It's at http://www.olcc.state.or.us/ - Category Price List(.pdf)

I hadn't actually looked at the Special Order Item List(pdf) until tonight...looks like I may have more of a selection than originally thought? (I have some time if it comes down to ordering.)

Thanks again for the help. It's greatly appreciated. :)
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:09 am

I've read so much about the Highland Parks...and it looks like what I've read is supported here as well for the most part...sad to say, I believe the only one we have available is the 12y. :(
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:27 am

Actually...the special order list does look to contain a different Highland Park -- W.G. Highland Park 13y? I found some mention of it here and the reactions seemed positive to it. How much better would it be than the 12, I wonder...maybe worth the extra and special order? (as the everyday selection)

This sure isn't easy. ;)
Peanut

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:23 am

Peanut wrote:I've read so much about the Highland Parks...and it looks like what I've read is supported here as well for the most part...sad to say, I believe the only one we have available is the 12y. :(

HP 12 is actually very good too and imh opinion better than the 18yo. Alto of people concur so don't be too down that it is the only one available to you. :)
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder