Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Old Potrero Hotaling's Single Malt (Anchor)

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Old Potrero

Old Potrero Hotaling's Single Malt (Anchor)

Postby aarkwilde » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:17 am

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/about_us/o ... taling.htm

Has anyone has a chance to try this? I saw a bottle in the store, but am a little leery.
aarkwilde

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:45 am

I have only heard good things about this. Since you live in San Francisco you should go take the tour and I bet they have samples for you to try.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby aarkwilde » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:54 am

I've taken the tour several times since they admitted that they were distilling (it's a beautiful brewery and I love the product). But they aren't allowed to provide samples of the hard alcohol. The barleywine is the strongest item on the tasting menu.

Maytag has been making wine, as well. I haven't sampled those, either. I've tried the Old Potrero that was aged one year, and it was a little hot for my taste. It looks like this new release is 100 proof, which I like the idea of.

I'm going to gave to look around for a bar serving this, I guess.
aarkwilde

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:33 am

Yes! Buy a bottle, to start with! Then you'll probably wanna buy another! I tried it at the World of Whisky Expo in San Francisco last month and it was spectacular! I have the 19th Century Style 100% Rye too, which is good, but the Hotalings was one of the best I tasted that entire weekend of whisky. I'll be getting a bottle, maybe more, this summer for sure! Get it, no hype there at all! If you read about Fritz Maytag, and his philosophy, you'll be convinced. For example, he's only started making wines recently, after selling his grapes to his good friend Paul Draper of Ridge in Saratoga for many year: York Creek Vineyards! Finally he's making it for himself, after the product has been tested and tested. I look forward to having the Hotalings again soon!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:48 am

Well, a dissent -- I tried it at WhiskyFest in Chicago last month, and thought it was little more than rye 'white dog'. It very much resembled some Isaiah Morgan unaged West Virginia rye I have (@ about $18 per 750ml). Hard to believe the Hotalings is aged at all, let alone 11 years. Now, I find the Morgan to be a good whiskey for use as a baseline rye, in order to recognize the quality and extent of the effects of barrel-aging on others. But, I wouldn't want to pay Old Potrero prices to get it!
Last edited by Deactivated Member on Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deactivated Member

Postby aarkwilde » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:59 am

I found a bottle at Bevmo for the same price as the Old Potrero ($60). So I bought it.

The label leads me to believe it's not a general release, but a special issue released as a tribute to the earthquake. I'm going to resist opening it until I find out more.
aarkwilde

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:22 pm

The website has good info on it, and I'm sure if you email them they'll give you more. Yes, it is a special edition for the 100 year anniversary of the San Francisco earthquake. Hotalings was an alcohol storage wherehouse in the middle of the city that ironically didn't burn, even though most of the city was on fire during the quake. Quite special stuff!
Di Blasi

Postby aarkwilde » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:32 pm

I just heard back from Anchor. They only produced 30 cases of this.

I'll try to find more, I guess.
aarkwilde

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:35 pm

Wow, even more limited then I expected! So probably smart to get a few, hold on to one at least! Thanks!!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:07 am

For those who may not know, Fritz Maytag is pretty much the godfather of craft brewing in the US. I haven't tried any of his distilled products, but I have enormous respect for the man. Definitely a visionary.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun May 14, 2006 6:20 pm

Yes, Old Potrero Hotaling's is limited, and doesn't seem so easy to get, seems it's selling out even! Finally, my bottle was purchased, after many trips to Beverages and More and some other local shops in the San Francisco Bay Area. The last bottle in the shop was luckily purchased for me, after the other 4 sold out just as quick as the others they had stocked. Damn, now I want another for the long term collection rather than just drinking! Buy it if you find it! It's great besides obviously collectable!
Di Blasi

Re: Old Potrero Hotaling's Single Malt (Anchor)

Postby lohssanami » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:13 pm

Hey DiBlasi!

Did you ever finish this bottle?

lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:15 pm

Yes I did lohssanami, some time ago! I really enjoyed the last few, very dried fruit and nuts like. I'm glad I have another. Looking forward to tasting the older ones as they age.
What do you think of it lohssanami?
Di Blasi

Postby lohssanami » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:26 am

I never even knew about this bottle, but I will look around now that I know about it.

The labels are pretty close with the "Rye", "18th" and "Hotaling". I never looked closely other than seeing the Old Potrero, but I will now. It'll be kind of cool if I find a Hotaling.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby cathach » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:33 am

Hi there,

I've been viewing this thread with interest as I'm interested in whiskies made with grains other than barley (e.g. pure pot still). Is there a member out there with an interest in sampling Irish whiskies that I have at my disposal in exchange for rye that they might have??
cathach
Silver Member

Related whiskies : Old Potrero

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder