Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

US visit

All your whisky related questions answered here.

US visit

Postby Jan the Man » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:28 pm

Dear All,

I'm going to visit the US next week.

Can anyone advise me on whisk(e)y I can buy in the US, which is hard or not to find in Europe? I'm flying from Chicago O"Hare and later on from NY JFK.

Thanks,

Jan the Man
Jan the Man

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:50 pm

Are you a bourbon drinker? I imagine you can find several bourbons here like George T. Stagg that is hard to get over there.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby WestVanDave » Mon May 01, 2006 6:30 am

Check out Park Avenue Liquor in New York if you get a chance... they have several unique bottlings done for them. I have tried a few of their Highland Park bottlings and they have been outstanding...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Mon May 01, 2006 1:49 pm

Yeah, I'm meaning to try Park Ave Liquors in NY and Sam's or Binny's in Chicago. If you're looking for whisky that's hard to find in europe, I'd say any of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (George T. Stagg, WL Weller, Sarzac 18, or Eagle Rare 18). Other than this, perhaps some rye whisky like JV Winkle's 13yr old rye, or Rittenhouse Rye BIB.

One thing I've noticed is that in the US, bourbon is REALLY cheap compared to what we pay for it up here. Compare this to SMSW which is about on par up here with what is advertised at BEVMO (CA).
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby aggiesipper » Mon May 01, 2006 6:18 pm

in addition to the 12yo weller (i just got a bottle for $18us) you can probably find Wildturkey Rarebreed for <40$.
aggiesipper

Postby Jan the Man » Mon May 01, 2006 8:57 pm

Thanks for all the reactions so far. I have quite a few scottish malts (about 175), and only a few bourbons (a Johnny Drum 15y and an Ezra Brooks).

My goal is to buy some rare (=hard to find in Europe) whiskey's to take home.

I heard a lot of good stories of the Georg T. Stagg, and I can buy it in Belgium for about Euro 150 (= USD 190).

Are the bourbouns mentioned also available tax free on the international airports?

If anybody has more suggestions, please don't hesitate, and show me around in the wonder world of US whiskeys :lol:

Regards,
Jan the Man
Jan the Man

Postby ScotchBlog » Tue May 02, 2006 7:35 pm

WestVanDave wrote:Check out Park Avenue Liquor in New York if you get a chance... they have several unique bottlings done for them. I have tried a few of their Highland Park bottlings and they have been outstanding...

Park Ave does have quite a few special bottlings, but to be honest their prices are pretty high, even for New York. Astor Wine has MUCH better prices (if you are in New York)
ScotchBlog
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 02, 2006 11:48 pm

Lenell's in Red Hook -- just across the East River from Manhattan in Brooklyn -- has NYC's widest selection of bourbons/ryes, and prices that are very competitive for that market.

http://www.lenells.com/features/features_bourbon.php
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu May 04, 2006 1:40 am

I'll second Tim on the suggestion for Lenell's...she even keeps a few bottles open for sampling, from what I've heard. I've been meaning to swing by in person to talk to her for the show, but haven't had a chance to get into Brooklyn for any amount of time...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Jan the Man » Thu May 11, 2006 4:42 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your advise.

I managed to buy a bottle of Georg T Stagg and a special release of Dallas Dhu, bottled for Binnys.

I tasted a lot of bourboun in hotel as well, and was impressed by the Bookers.

Ciao,

Jan the Man
Jan the Man

Postby MGillespie » Thu May 11, 2006 5:09 pm

Great...glad things worked out!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby elli » Mon May 22, 2006 10:02 pm

I am a great fan of the rare breed wild turkey, its a great bourbon, the jfk duty free selection was appaling, at least in the terminal of British Airways, so perhaps don't save your purchases for that airport. have an enjoyable trip
elli

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 22, 2006 11:59 pm

Hey elli...he's been back for eleven days....
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue May 23, 2006 2:32 am

Jan the Man wrote:
I managed to buy a bottle of Georg T Stagg and a special release of Dallas Dhu, bottled for Binnys.

I tasted a lot of bourboun in hotel as well, and was impressed by the Bookers.

Ciao,

Jan the Man

Hey Jan the Man! Did you have the chance to taste the George T Stagg at the hotel too? Congratulations on that purchase, it's great! Careful, it's a biggy, you almost need an eyedropper to limit the amount you get in your mouth at once! Which bottling did you get, how much alcohol is it? Enjoy it, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder