Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Hangover cures

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Hangover cures

Postby Scotchio » Mon May 01, 2006 8:05 pm

Had a few big nights lately mainly involving excessive quantities of bitter rather than Scotch and am becoming very hacked off with the intensely black hangovers which seem to be getting much harsher as I head toward 40.
In younger days a return to the cause of the ailment would suffice or if that was not possible aspirin coke and salt and vinegar crisps seemed an effective cure.
These old remedies no longer seem so effective so i was curious as to what that immense bank of knowledge on this forum might come up with as a viable alternative.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 01, 2006 8:07 pm

Drink a lot of water before going to bed!
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Mon May 01, 2006 8:10 pm

Had 2 and a half pints of water prior to hitting the sack the other night but still felt like........
Scotchio
Gold Member

hangover

Postby richard » Mon May 01, 2006 8:11 pm

hi scotchio i was getting the same problems im just over forty so i know the feeling

my mother recommended milk thistle it is a herb

what it does is it lets the parts of alcahol through a bit at a time it gives your body time to get over the affects of alcahol

all i can say it works for me

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 01, 2006 8:13 pm

I've just remembered, the Scotts swear by what is rapidly becoming their 2nd national drink:

Irn Bru

It was introduced as a soft drink for kids, but it has gained a great reputation as a hangover cure.
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Mon May 01, 2006 8:27 pm

It's Springtime so that means I have to get up fairly early every Saturday morning and mow the lawn. By the time I'm done, the cobwebs from Friday night are usually long gone. I do drink a fair amount of water before going to bed and the morning coffee probably helps a bit too. So--water, exercise, and coffee. Not perfect, but it helps.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Jan » Mon May 01, 2006 8:58 pm

You need to replenish water, vitamins and various salts, that the alcohol has literaly washed out of your body.

Therefore plenty of water (or even better juice) and something to eat, some crisps or chips for the salt perhaps + a couple of aspirin before going to bed, helps a lot.

Apart from that, I'm afraid we just have to accept, that we can't drink as we used to - our bodies exact more and more punishment as the years go by :(

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Dan G » Mon May 01, 2006 10:03 pm

A lot of water and a lot of tylenol when I go to bed. After all that water, you will probably wake up and need a trip to the bathroom, so take more tylenol then. Forget the recommended dosage, 3 extra strength before sleep and 2 or 3 more in a couple of hours won't hurt you.
Dan G

Postby Mr Ellen » Mon May 01, 2006 10:16 pm

For me (who has the same "age-problem") there's nothing better than water. I also use to frink a glass of water or two in between the drams, or beers or whatever I drink.
Before bedtime I usually drink at least 1 litre of water...and yes that makes me running to the WC a couple of times during the night but at least it seems to prevent the next days headache.
And at last...I've learned never to have that "last drink of the evening". :wink:

Cheers

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon May 01, 2006 10:36 pm

I usually manage to avoid hangovers by drinking plenty of water between drams, the same also works for beer and wine.

But if you do wake up feeling like a construction company is working in your head - just have another dram, a large glass of water and go back to bed!

Cheer, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue May 02, 2006 12:38 am

You want to be careful in taking Tylenol after drinking since it's absorbed in the liver which has just been taxed by the alcohol, best to take apsrin which is absorbed in the stomach.

However I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.
Last edited by Lawrence on Tue May 02, 2006 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Tue May 02, 2006 2:14 am

Lawrence wrote:You want to be careful in taking Tylenol after drinking since it's absorbed in the liver which has just been taxed by the alcohol, best to take apsrin which is absorbed in the stomach.

However I'm not a doctor nor do I play on TV.

Lawrence, you are a "Triple Gold Member". I think that is as good as being a doctor when it comes to giving advice. Thanks for the info.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue May 02, 2006 3:04 am

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
:D
Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Tue May 02, 2006 6:09 am

Salt tablets and fluids before during and after. Next day, hair of the dog, sauna with cold plung after, repeat if nessesary, add massage.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Tue May 02, 2006 6:28 am

Dan G wrote:A lot of water and a lot of tylenol when I go to bed. After all that water, you will probably wake up and need a trip to the bathroom, so take more tylenol then. Forget the recommended dosage, 3 extra strength before sleep and 2 or 3 more in a couple of hours won't hurt you.

Don't drink coffee, as it's a diuretic. Asprin is bad if the alcohol has made you quezey, as it irritates the lining of the stomach.

I wouldn't recommend exceeding the dosage recommended on a packet of codene or paracetemol. The body can only process a certain amount of it in one go - hence the dosage recomendation. Excess dosage can damage the liver.

Iron bru could be a good idea as it will raise blood sugar levels. The best thing to do, though, is to make sure you've eaten before you go out, especially things like rice. Eat salty snacks while you're out. Start off with a glass of water. You can get rehydration salts that you add to water. This is the best thing to take, I'd say.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Tue May 02, 2006 10:20 am

Each sylvester quite a few articles popup on this subject ... Had a looksee in the news archive.

Quite a few to find =D

PS: personally I think its best to avoid drinking so much you get a hangover to begin with, its really not so best for your body ... Other then that, lots of water inbetween dirnks and beofre going to bed, and fruits the day after =)
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby parvus » Tue May 02, 2006 11:34 am

Hangovers are often caused when you stop drinking. There sollution to this is somewhat obvious.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby toshie » Tue May 02, 2006 3:57 pm

Lots of water before bedtime, big glass of ice cold fizzy water first thing in the morning as The Woman Thou Gavest Us prepares monumental Scottish fry up - bacon, egg, tattie scone, square sausage, fried tomatoes. And brown sauce. Only ever brown sauce. Through the morning? Irn Bru or Lucozade energy drink. Mid afternoon? Perhaps a wee sherry. Fair sets you up for the evening ahead 8)
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby rthomson » Tue May 02, 2006 5:31 pm

Aidan wrote:
Don't drink coffee, as it's a diuretic.

That's exactly right, it's a fast acting diuretic and will further dehydrate you. For those of us with this secondary addiction, though, drinking it is a choice of the lesser of two evils; compounded headache due to the added caffeine withdrawal or fight the extra dehydration with loads of water and juice. I usually go with the coffee.

I'm typically quite healthy with the foods I choose to eat, why are all my fluids addictive?

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Hangover cure

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue May 02, 2006 9:40 pm

Scotchio:
At past 50, the same thing works as when I was 20. Three glasses of water before bed and 3 Advil, foot on floor to stop rotation. You will invariably be up to tinkle, drink three more and back to bed, foot again on floor. When morning comes I 'm generally fine. If a bit of a headache persists, a long warm shower playing on the top of the head finishes off the self inflicted brainwebbing. Musky Pete

P.S; Maybe we should've done this as a whisky poll! :DQ: What clears up your hangovers? 1). Hair of the dog; 2). Plenty of water at bedtime 3 or more glasses; 3). ASA aka Aspirin ; 4). Don't stop; 5). Don't start.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 03, 2006 1:22 pm

It happened to me when I was 37 - I drank a ......ahem........ sufficient (not necessarily excessive) amount. Nothing new, nothing different but the next day(s) I felt like I was being steamrollered whilst on the big-dipper!
It's been the same since. I just can not handle the excess as I did in my twenties.

I swear by drinking loads of water - between drinks as well if possible. Avoid any form of drug. There is enough poison floating about - but diruetics like coffee have their purpose as long as you drink twice as much water as coffee.
I can also attest to Irn Bru as an instant cure. Costs by way of dentist bills though!!

As my mother always said - "Don't drink and you won't get a hangover." Strewth :roll:
She also suggested at one point that I should "...settle down and find a nice girl." :? :? :?

WHO THE HELL WANTS A NICE GIRL????????????????????????????
:twisted:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 03, 2006 1:23 pm

It happened to me when I was 37 - I drank a ......ahem........ sufficient (not necessarily excessive) amount. Nothing new, nothing different but the next day(s) I felt like I was being steamrollered whilst on the big-dipper!
It's been the same since. I just can not handle the excess as I did in my twenties.

I swear by drinking loads of water - between drinks as well if possible. Avoid any form of drug. There is enough poison floating about - but diruetics like coffee have their purpose as long as you drink twice as much water as coffee.
I can also attest to Irn Bru as an instant cure. Costs by way of dentist bills though!!

As my mother always said - "Don't drink and you won't get a hangover." Strewth :roll:
She also suggested at one point that I should "...settle down and find a nice girl." :? :? :?

WHO THE HELL WANTS A NICE GIRL????????????????????????????
:twisted:
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed May 03, 2006 4:20 pm

The last sentance was worth saying twice. :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 03, 2006 5:38 pm

Sorry - fat finger syndrome :roll:

By the way - I did settle down eventually........... and Mrs C is not a "nice" girl 8)

Yippee :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 03, 2006 9:50 pm

I guess I'm lucky--I didn't start to have this problem until just this past year, and I'm over the half-century mark. And I swear it came about because I was trying to cut back on alcohol intake. That'll teach ya. Still fiddling with dosages. Probably won't get back to normal until I return to Scotland and the old bad habits in October.
Deactivated Member

Postby Iain » Sat May 06, 2006 5:23 pm

Today's Guardian reports that Russians drink Borjomi sparkling water (from Georgia) as a hangover cure. At least they did, but their government has just banned imports of the stuff.

Maybe that'll lead to an increase in sales of Irn Bru there?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Les Paul » Sat May 06, 2006 6:02 pm

i usually drink a few liters of water and eat some bread and im good to go

8) 8)
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Gasp!

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat May 06, 2006 6:27 pm

Crieftan wrote:...By the way - I did settle down eventually........... and Mrs C is not a "nice" girl 8) Yippee :lol:

Hmmm, a new posting name "Badcrieftan"... your wife isn't computer literate is she? :shock:
I'd like to mention that if I stay with just single malts and a bit of water, I've never suffered from brainwebbing the next day. Mind you I drink plenty of water between samples and before bed. :!: ...and my wife is a "nice girl", with benefits, - she buys me nice SM whisky. Musky Pete.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sat May 06, 2006 11:41 pm

This thread reminds me of the Louis Jordon song: 'What's The Use of Getting Sober (When your only gonna get drunk again)'.

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Iain » Sun May 07, 2006 9:16 am

:D

Or "Whiskey do your stuff"?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Re: Gasp!

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 07, 2006 10:52 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Hmmm, a new posting name "Badcrieftan"... your wife isn't computer literate is she? :shock:

Yeeaahh - I kinda like that, but no. There is no room on the boards for two "Bads", eh Monkey? 8)

Yes she is! I just hope she doesn't read this thread :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 07, 2006 10:53 am

.........................And she just has :roll:
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Sun May 07, 2006 11:51 am

With most whiskies I get no hangover whatsoever. Some, however, like The Balvenie DoubleWood and Laphroaig Quarter Cask (which is also a doublewood, hmm), I do get a bit of a headache regardless of the amount drunk. I simply drink water at bedtime, then coffee and toast with butter (or substitute, ug) in the morning and I'm good to go.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun May 07, 2006 1:24 pm

Has to be the classic fry up..... 8)

Bacon, Saussage, Egg, Totato, black pudding, etc fried in loads of grease with strong tea/coffee and some toast. Even though this can at times be unappetising is one of the best cures for both the queasy stomach and the hurting head.

And if that does not work try Butter and Whiskey :mrgreen:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun May 07, 2006 5:41 pm

Ooohhhh, a fry up. Looks good, it's brunch time here so I know what I'm having.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Next

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder