Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Terroir-ism from Scotch Blog

General chat and talk about whisky.

Terroir-ism from Scotch Blog

Postby Bob & Jill » Tue May 02, 2006 7:23 pm

Just read an interesting article in the Scotch Blog
http://www.thescotchblog.com/ Thought I would pass it on.

Recently, I have been discussing the merits of not having to add water to whisky mainly because it is troublesome to get just the right amount in it. I argue it is better to be able to buy just the right alcohol by volume percent you want to drink as opposed to trying to get the right dilution from adding water. This article adds another dimension. Your water is not the same as the distillers water and that of course can impact the taste.
Jill
Bob & Jill

Terroir-ism 5/1/06 By Kevin Erskine (The Instant Expert’s Guide to Single Malt ) interviews Mark Reynier of Bruichladdich

If you are unfamiliar with the term "terroir" it is a French term with no exact English translation - much used in the wine industry - it refers to all the physical/environmental characteristics in and around a particular vineyard site (climate, soil, geographical location and so on). The term has, of late, worked its way into the lexicon of whisky production.
Bob & Jill

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 03, 2006 5:19 am

Alas, B&J, everyone has a different idea of what "just the right alcohol by volume percent" is. The attraction of cask strength whiskies is that you can decide for yourself. When you buy a whisky at 40%, you don't have the option of taking water out!

We've had several discussions about terroir lately (which I'm sure Kevin has participated in), and somewhere or other there is a thread (or maybe two) on choice of water for diluting. Check the FAQ's. I would think that distilled water would be best, being the most neutral, and likely similar in character (or lack thereof) to what most of the bottlers use. Dasani and Aquafina, both of which I hate to drink for several reasons, would probably be good choices for this purpose. Tap water is probably the worst. Even if you don't much notice the chlorine when drinking it straight, it's there, and may well affect the taste of your dram.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Wed May 03, 2006 7:34 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Even if you don't much notice the chlorine when drinking it straight, it's there, and may well affect the taste of your dram.

Fill a bottle halfway up with tapwater, then give it a good shake and then smell the contents... You'd be surprised how much chlorine you will smell then :)
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Dubois » Wed May 03, 2006 7:47 am

Jeroen Kloppenburg wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Even if you don't much notice the chlorine when drinking it straight, it's there, and may well affect the taste of your dram.

Fill a bottle halfway up with tapwater, then give it a good shake and then smell the contents... You'd be surprised how much chlorine you will smell then :)

How right you are... :(
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 03, 2006 8:37 am

Dubois wrote:
Jeroen Kloppenburg wrote:

How right you are... :(

Ahhhhhhhh, thank goodness for Munich tap water. Very hard, plenty of 'Kalk' (Limescale), but no chlorine added! Straight from the Alps and the best tap water I have tasted anywhere.

But apart from this region, I agree, tap water has just too many chemicals, of which chlorine is one.

WH
Deactivated Member

Re: Terroir-ism from Scotch Blog

Postby ScotchBlog » Mon May 15, 2006 2:11 pm

Bob & Jill wrote:Just read an interesting article in the Scotch Blog
http://www.thescotchblog.com/ Thought I would pass it on.

Thanks B&J,
Part 3 of that series is up today. Next week is the final installment...though I'm sure it will be revisited again.
ScotchBlog
Bronze Member

Postby Bob & Jill » Wed May 17, 2006 8:04 pm

C_I,
Thanks for the interesting points on water.
Jill
Bob & Jill
Bob & Jill

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder