Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bruichladdich 3D Peat Proposal

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Bruichladdich 3D Peat Proposal

Postby Bob & Jill » Thu May 04, 2006 11:37 pm

Can anyone tell me about this laddy 3D? I just tried the 10 year and thought it was wonderful. But i do like peat, and this is supposed to have some. I've read the discription available online and it all sounds indeed interesting; 3 ages, 3 peat levels, 3 woods... Any comments would be appreciated.

This is Bob,
from the Bob & Jill team
Bob & Jill

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu May 04, 2006 11:45 pm

Hi Bob & Jill!
I tasted the first edition 3D "Peat Proposal" some time ago and cannot give you an accurate opinion or description other than the fact that I liked it and that the smoke has another character than the kildaltons. I think I read somewhere here on the forums that some of the malted barley was sourced from Jura? I think it's worth buying but it's very different to your 10yo which I happen to like too!

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 05, 2006 2:18 am

We tasted this at McEwan's tasting in Boston. It was indeed very different from other 'Laddies, and to be honest, I didn't really care for it much on one taste, but my opinion was decidedly in the minority--in fact, I'd say it was clearly the most popular dram served that evening. I thought the very young peated whisky involved left it somewhat unbalanced--not in terms of peat vs malt, but in terms of maturity.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri May 05, 2006 2:58 am

The first edition 3D peat proposal is really nice, 46%, smoky, yes, but tasted it over a year ago so I don't remember the complete nose, taste, etc details. And the newer version, 2nd edition Moine Mhor is nice too, 50%, but sweeter, and easy going down.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 05, 2006 5:53 am

The original 3D "Peat Proposal" is a limited edition of 12,000 bottles. Ok so that's quite a large run, but they are limited. I have sampled at least 4-5 different bottles of this particular malt and the differences can be quite astounding.

We have spoken about the 3D at some length elsewhere on the forums, but sorry, I can't remember which discussion it was in. However, I do recall someone saying that when they tried it they were not too happy. It was quite harsh and not so well balanced or rounded. After leaving it (opened) for some weeks / months, they revisited it and found it had changed - mellowing and becoming a much more pleasant dram.

As for my personal view: I really like this dram. Yes it is very pleasantly peaty, but not overpowering. It certainly doesn't have the kick or oooomph of Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig 10.
The bottles are individually numbered and the differences within the number ranges are surprising. I found that the early numbers, certainly below 4,000 were the best! By "best" I mean smoother, rounded, better balanced and not quite so harsh. The latter numbers still had a wonderful flavour, but I found them to be a little more fiery and what I call harsh.
However, these were still eminently drinkable and I would recommend them.

The second version, Moine Mhor, is a cask strength version and also quite peaty, but personally I didn't enjoy this as much as the 3D.

Not quite so peaty, but an excellent dram and also quite different from other Laddies that I know, is the WMDII - Yellow Submarine.
Not such a peaty dram, but this is one of my favourites at the moment.

I hope this helps,
WH
Deactivated Member

Postby corbuso » Fri May 05, 2006 8:54 am

Just to correct one sentence from Whiskyhammer, The Moine Mhor is not cask strength, but reduced to 50%, like the OMC.

The first version "peat proposal" was quite nice, with a nice balance between the unpeated and peated bruichladdich. On the second version, the Moine Mhor is the amount of very young and very peated Octomore. Personally, I find the second version less balanced than the first version. Also, the peat is massive and quite blunt.

I like peated whiskies, but not then they are so rough and brutal.

corbuso
--------------
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 05, 2006 9:02 am

Sorry, that is indeed correct: 50% for the MM.
Deactivated Member

Postby karlejnar » Fri May 05, 2006 10:31 am

MrFjeld wrote:I think I read somewhere here on the forums that some of the malted barley was sourced from Jura?

The malt was sourced from PE Maltings, and was destined for Bowmore, thereby having a phenol level of 25ppm. The distillery men from Jura were using it to make a small production run at Bruichladdich, which at the time (1998) was mothballed.
WhiskyHammer wrote:We have spoken about the 3D at some length elsewhere on the forums, but sorry, I can't remember which discussion it was in

I remember too, but can't find it either. The search function wasn't at much help in this case.

But anyway - I find it a nice malt too :P

The malts used for 3D were:
2001 Port Charlotte 40ppm
1998 Bruichladdich 25ppm
1989 Bruichladdich <5ppm

In the Moine Mhor the ingredients differ, since the 1998 25ppm is replaced by new Bruichladdich 2001 10ppm* and the amount of Port Charlotte is likely to be a bit higher.

[*:The first production of the new owners were peated at 10ppm, but later reduced to around 3ppm.]

I don't think it contains any Octomore though, but I might be wrong
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby karlejnar » Fri May 05, 2006 10:50 am

Sorry Folks - but it seems I was wrong about the contents of Moine Mhor. Don't actually recall frem where I got the impression that it contained newer lightly peated Bruichladdich malt. But from another thread:
MrTattieHeed wrote:The second 3D, Moine Mhor, comprised of '91 and '94 Bruichladdich and four-year-old Port Charlotte.

This is likely to be information from "The Man" himself, since it's from MrT's report of one of Jim's tastings.
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Jan » Fri May 05, 2006 11:18 am

Could this be the thread everybody is looking for?

Which malts in Bruichladdich 3D second edition Moine Mhor

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 05, 2006 11:36 am

The posts I were thinking of are in the What "did you drink last night" discussion. I just managed to find the area, I hope this works:

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopi ... ght=#41536
Deactivated Member

Postby karlejnar » Fri May 05, 2006 2:52 pm

Yes Jan - that's the thread.

But now I'm even more confused. Seems to me that we now have two sources to which malts are in the Moine Mhor. And both sources quote Jim McEwan, but are listing different Bruichladdich vintages :?
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby karlejnar » Tue May 09, 2006 10:25 pm

And just to confuse things a bit more here's a third source - the Oddbins:

http://www.oddbins.com/products/product ... code=32355

Bruichladdich 3D 'Moine Mhor'
Product Code : 32355

This 2nd edition of the hugely successful 3D Peat Proposal is again a vatting of lightly peated 1989 spirit, medium peated 1998 spirit but has a higher proportion of the heavily peated spirit from 2001 that has a ppm of 40 hence 'Moine Mhor' - The Big Peat! (ODDBINS EXCLUSIVE)

Tasting Notes : It's a blast! Hot, sweet peat flies right over the palate and goes straight to the heart. Wow! Only when the fire dies a little do the other Laddie characteristics appear and soothe the senses. The fruity zesty honey marine keynotes have to be at their very best to contain the new kid on the block.
Producer : Bruichladdich
Method of Production : Barrels were selected from the years 1989, 1998 and 2001 with the spirit having been born of barley peated at 3ppm, 25ppm and 40ppm. The casks used were refill Sherry butts, refill Bourbon hogsheads and fresh Bourbon barrels; and they had been stored in two separate warehouses at the distillery and another at Port Charlotte. Once vatted together the whisky was bottled at 50% alcohol (in the distillery with Islay spring water) without chill filtration or the addition of caramel.

In short: According Oddbins they used exactly same malts as in 3D - 1st edition, but using higher amount of Port Charlotte.

So - who are we to trust on this :?
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Wed May 10, 2006 4:24 am

I read somewhere, (sorry can't remember where now) that the Moine Mhor actually did have Octomore in it!

Well...no matter what the ingredients, the important question is "Is it a good dram".

The answer is, "Yes". :)

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 10, 2006 5:21 am

Admiral wrote:I read somewhere, (sorry can't remember where now) that the Moine Mhor actually did have Octomore in it!

Well...no matter what the ingredients, the important question is "Is it a good dram".

The answer is, "Yes". :)

Cheers,
Admiral

I'm not so sure...but I'm open to persuasion.

My note quoted above--"'91 and '94 Bruichladdich and four-year-old Port Charlotte"--was taken direct from McEwan's lips, so if it's incorrect, it's his error.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 10, 2006 9:02 am

IS it a good dram?

It's not a bad dram, but I find the original 3D more enjoyable.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed May 10, 2006 11:11 am

Hi there,

he said the same to me, so he would have erred twice if consistant.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder